1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ1100 vs XS1100 - Differences?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by KA1J, Oct 25, 2010.

1. KA1J

KA1J Member

I've been looking for a XJ1100 to fill my time over the winter (other than getting the XJ650 Maxim into even better appearance. I'm not finding any XJ1100s that are relatively untouched, seems like people liked them for bobber projects. I have though found several late 70s XS1100 bikes out there that appear to be relatively intact. One recently for $800 with supposedly no issues (including no transmission trouble).

Looking at the photos, it looks like there's much about the XS that reminds me of the XJ series. There must be differences but I don't know what they would be. Any liabilities in the XS line I should know about, other than 2nd gear can be an issue? What about parts availability?

I love the 650 maxim but would like a larger bike for long interstate trips.

Thanks,

Gary

2. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

Most of the difference is cosmetic. They all seem to have the 2nd gear issue. I just got my 78 xs11 engine to roar back to life (still have other things to do like rebuild the calipers and carbs) Fewer XJ's but if I had the chance I'd get one.

3. Jamie

Jamie Member

I recently acquired a nice 1982 XJ1100 and with it came an almost complete 2nd bike in pieces. Complete engine, frame, forks, you name it. I love the XJ1100 and am currently re-building the 2nd set of carbs and going through the front and rear brakes and both master cylinders. Love the bike. If anyone is interested in the 2nd one, it will go cheap.
    Thanks
    Jamie

4. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

The XJ and XS1100s are so similer that I buy parts for my XS1100 from Chacal. Most engine ,carb and chassi parts are the same. There are some minor differences in the brakes and wiring, the biggest difference is cosemetic.

5. KA1J

KA1J Member

Thanks to Craig's list I got my 2nd XJ today, a XJ1100 and at a really good price. Had to drive to New York to get it but other than a badly needed tune-up, the need for re-upholstery and some moderate surface rust on the exhaust headers it's in excellent shape. My only photo I could get was in a friend's garage & it was at night. there's a nice 28 Model A pickup in the background.

More in the "XJ chat"forum

Gary

6. B-Mac 82' xj11

B-Mac 82' xj11 New Member

I have just recently found an 82' xj1100. Picked it up for $200. I am currently trying to figure out the difference in the frame in comparison to the xs of the same year. Has anyone got a good word for me? Here are two pictures of frames, one of an 82' XJ and one of an 82' XS... xj 1100 82'.jpg xs 1100 82'.jpg

7. Thomas Doherty

Thomas Doherty New Member

i've an xs1.1 that had a knackered engine, bought an xj1100 engine and fitted it straight in,
    only difference was the yics system on the carbs. everything else was the same.

8. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

Ignition is slightly different. XS alternator has no brushes. The XS doesn’t have YICS. Frames may or may not be the same, for sure they’re tabbed differently. Fork lowers and brakes are different. If you look at the bikes, the differences are obvious. I too, get XS11 parts from XJ4Ever