1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ400z Carbs and gaskets

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by BamaBen, Feb 21, 2016.

1. BamaBen

BamaBen New Member

Hello all,

I recently got an xj400z, 1984. I need to replace the gaskets and because it's a Japanese import that wasn't sold in the UK, it seems to be quite hard to locate them. I'm wondering if anyone knows the spec of Mikuni carb that was used in them, is it the same as the xj400? Or the 600?

Cheers,

Ben

2. BamaBen

BamaBen New Member

Sorry, FLOAT BOWL gaskets.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

do you know the size of the carbs?
    have you considered buying gasket matrial and cutting them your self?

4. BamaBen

BamaBen New Member

Yeah I cant find the carb size, or even gasket's that look the same online, the think homemade is the way to go. Is it true cereal boxes work as a material? In other news I dunno what spark plug it is either, I think i'll roll the dice and go for the xj400 plugs... Any ideas on battery?!

5. XJ550H

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  6. BamaBen

BamaBen New Member

Hi yeah that's great - I'm in England so even further away from Japan and potential parts! I think making our own is the way we're going.

7. XJ550H

you missed the point the gasket for an xj 550 that you have in England is the gasket you want.
    I used the japan site to look up the part number then used the yamahaparts nation site to cross referance the part and other bikes it is used on
    you should be able to get the part from any dealership or parts place that carries parts for a 550 (seca)

8. Rich Hemmings

Rich Hemmings New Member

Hi,

I'm hoping to buy an XJR400 this week and am doing my research - as I want to use it daily during the spring/summer and convert to a cafe racer over the winter I am likely to need a manual - or at least reference material for tolerances!

How similar are the XJR1200/1300 or XJ600 to the 400? I'm wondering if the majority of the basic systems are the same and a manual for either of these would go some (or most) of the way for the XJR400?

Related - how easy are parts to come by? I can see wemoto, eyab etc and other similar sites stock basic service parts and gaskets etc.

Thanks in advance.

Rich, UK

9. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Rich, the XJs on this site are mostly from 80s and are the fathers or grandfathers of the XJR ramge. I doubt too many folk on here know about the XJR400. from what I know any in the UK will be Japanese imports. That said they were pretty popular in the UK inspite of that. The XJR400 is very high revving and probably 4 valve per cylinder, Very much a modern take on the 'old' range. I like them. You might try calling Flitwick motorcycles for parts or online cmsnl. If you cn find a Jap parts supplier better still, but in all probability you're only looking for 'consumables' right?

10. XJ550H

I would have said mothers and grandmothers.... ;)