1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ550 Clutch problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Johan Nordanfors, May 7, 2018.

1. Johan Nordanfors

Johan Nordanfors New Member

Hi everyone

I am restoring a sweet little XJ550 4v8 1983 (EU spec?) and I have a problem with the clutch I would like to ask you XJ experts about. When I start from standstill the clutch feels okay. But if I engage the cluch when driving very slow, like if im in heavy traffic and need to slip the cluch while at the same time slowly rolling forward for instance, it is very jerky. It's slipping and binding kind of randomly and it is difficult to handle the bike. There is a kind of thumping noise and I can feel the thumps in the bike frame. Again, if I come to a full stop the clutch behaves nicely when I start going again. I have yet to crack the clutch cover open for inspection but wanted to run this by you in case it was a known issue.

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I would rule out that this is not coming from the back wheel first.
    What is the condition of your chain and sprockets?
    What is the condition of the bearing and rubber dampers in the sprocket carrier?

cgutz likes this.
  3. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Agreed - sounds different to just a clutch (plate) problem. Taking the clutch cover off doesn't take long and
    with the bike on the side-stand you will only lose a cupful of oil.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

clutch baskets can get notches worn in them from the steel plates. this makes the clutch jerk as the plates slide into the worn notch, just before full release.
    if you park it with some boards under the tires it will lean over far enough to not spill any oil. it also reminds you not to stand it up, been there, done that