1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ600S to XJ600N

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by XJ600S, Nov 28, 2007.

1. XJ600S

XJ600S Member

So I've been looking at converting my 600s to a 600n. This basically just involves removing the front fairing, replacing the headlight, and instrument panel.

However, I am having trouble locating the front headlight and mounting brackets (though I'm pretty sure I could just use any round aftermarket headlight system and it'd work just fine).

I also can't find the individual instrument cluster pods (separate gauge for tach and speed, then a separate cluster that goes between with lights).

Does anyone know how I might be able to track this stuff down, or possibly a source that sells universal parts that would work? I'm still debating doing this, but the naked bike look is starting to really appeal to me. Plus, I might change the handlebars to a more cafe racer style (clip-ons) to put me a little lower on the bike.

Currently my bike looks like this:

[​IMG]

And I want the front to look more like this:

[​IMG]

2. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

Have you tried it without the windshield? The wind can be cold and annoying. It gets especially tiring on long trips so I always INSTALL windshields or a fairing on mine.

3. XJ600S

XJ600S Member

I actually have not tried it without the fairing/windshield. However, the annoying thing is that the fairing rattles at specific rpm's, and sounds horrible. I just bought nuts/bolts to securely attach the fairing to the frame, yet it still rattles. And I know its the fairing, because if I put my hand on the fairing when it is rattling, it stops.

I also really like the look of the bike without the fairing, but if I find out it is too difficult to change over, I'll just leave it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I have ridden in a fairly strong headwind at highway speeds. And to be honest, the windshield and fairing did very little for me. It only help if I crouched way down and practically had my chin resting on the gas tank.

4. phat87mazdarx7

phat87mazdarx7 New Member

why don't you go to lowes or something and get some rubber like O-rings the put it between the frame and fairing to absorb the vibration. or get a street fighter front end. it sucks riding naked, it does get cold. and if you go naked its gonna look funny if you don't do everything(mainly cut off the old fairing mounts and repaint)

5. XJ600S

XJ600S Member

I have tried putting rubber in between the mounts, it doesn't do anything except make it extremely difficult to get the fairing bolts started.

I have found the gauges, headlight, mounts, and everything else I'll be using. But since its been in the highs of 15 degrees here, I'm waiting a couple of months to buy everything and put it all on.

And with the fairing off, the mounts are really not that much of an eye-sore.