1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 fuel mileage:

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by eastside, May 7, 2012.

1. eastside

eastside New Member

What type of fuel mileage can one expect on an XJ?

2. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Somewhere between 40 and 55, depending on how you drive.

I get about 42-43 city, but it bumps up to 48-52 on a steady cruise in the country.

3. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

Pretty much identical to mine Tskaz, I get around 135Km before reserve comes calling. Not exactly a long haul bike, unless you don't mind frequent fuel-ups.

Post your location up in your profile there eastside so we know whether to put miles or kilometers. Up here in Canada we still say mileage even though it's all measured in metric. Is kilometerage even a word? :p

4. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

i hover around 50 mpg

5. pbjman

pbjman Member

Ya, same for me. I was gettin about 52 last year but now I'm more accustomed to keeping the rpm's higher so its usually closer to 47/48. Reserve at around 110 miles but I am comfortable not refueling until 140 or so. Pushed it past 160 once last year.

6. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Same as Tskaz for me - alot of city driving and see mpg's in the low to mid 40's.

7. NigeW

NigeW Member

OK guys... Filled it up today for another ride - Saturday's jaunt (155 mainly fast miles, including lots of red-linin' action) saw a rather poor return of 33.6 mpg!

Classic Motorcycle Mechanics - when re-assessing the XJ as a classic sports bike in 1999 - did say that the "diabolical fuel consumption" can hit a low of 30mpg. They suggest it's the price you pay for ownership of (what was) "an out-and-out... no-holds-barred sports bike"

Can't get a direct link to the whole article, but here's how to find the page with a clickable link to it...

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... a-1982.htm

click on 1982 XJ650 seca/maxim and then find the Classic Motorcycle Mechanics review at the top of the magazine reviews list.

Today's outing (177 miles), taking it a tad easier, returned 43.3 mpg.

At £5.29 a gallon !!! (that's around $8.52 usd) that extra 10 miles is worth getting.

How much is your $ per gallon cost over there these days?

8. dubyaohohdee

dubyaohohdee Member

$3.67 ( 2.83 Euro ) in VA

9. NigeW

NigeW Member

Sorry, I don't think that link works for the road test article.

To get it type "Classic Motorcycle Mechanics XJ650 Test" into Google, then click on the "Total Motorcycle" link that comes up...

By the way, your fuel works out at just £2.29 per gallon - that's 43% of our price.

10. eastside

eastside New Member

So, regarding fuel mileage, on my first tank of gas on my re-born (de-barned) xJ650, I'm seeing about 20-25 mpg. Doesn't seem right at all. All adjustments seem correct, valves, floats (3mm from body, set wet, level on bench), new correct stock jets, air filter (new)...etc. Synch is not spot on, but pretty close and to be fiddled with better as soon as I have access to some gauges again.

Any history on the forum of excessive fuel mileage and possible culprits?