1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 Maxim Fork Seal Change, Air Valves are Evil

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by sim37, Apr 30, 2014.

1. sim37

sim37 Member

This is the most hated project I have ever done. First time through the fork seal change with minimal tools. It was hard enough to get everything apart with only hand tools. Now I am at a true impass. I cannot for the life of me get these air valves back into the top of the forks. I cannot manage to compress the valve down and get the circlip in at the same time. I literally had to use jiu jitsu to get them out in the first place.

Can anybody help?

I should mention I don't own a vice or anything nice that might help me in this endeavor.

2. sim37

sim37 Member

Found the walkthrough Gamuru did. I am going to pick up a big ol' clamp and try and get it to work that way. Frustrating, frustrating.

3. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Might be a little beyond my scope, but wasn't that writeup for non-air forks? Regarding the compression; get a buddy! I got my roommate to compress the top piece with a 14mm deep socket while I put in the circlip.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

try putting something in the handlebar clamps that will extend out over the top of the fork. now you have something to pry against

wgul likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Let me make sure I'm clear. You are having trouble getting the fork cap back into the top of the fork. If that is the trouble then you do have a vise to help you. It came with the bike.

Pull the handle bars off, and use the lower triple clamp to hold the fork leg while you put the cap on with one hand, and the clip in with the other. Set blocks, or a pair of scissor jacks, under the frame so the front end does not tip while you press on the cap.

6. sim37

sim37 Member

Success! I used Gamuru's method to put it back together. Went out and bought a big clamp. I used the lower triple to support the lower part of the clamp and the fork and depressed the valve in enough to place the circlip. If I had just done that from the start, it would have been much easier. The handling is much better, and the leak is eradicated. Thanks for the advice guys!