1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj650 Rat Bob update

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by tensor8686, Aug 13, 2010.

1. tensor8686

tensor8686 Member

2. tensor8686

tensor8686 Member

3. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Looks good, but I'm afraid of that seat! Or shall I say the rear wheel. I'd hate to see you slide off the back while taking off. 8O Maybe you should bend the back of the seat up some to keep that from happening. JM2C

4. cassidy.patrick

cassidy.patrick Member

what he said... :wink: But I really like it otherwise I'm putting apes on mine soon. Ill post em up here when I do.

5. Orange-n-Black

The tank looks awesome and I like the rims too.

6. seaguy

seaguy Member

Man dood ...that rear tire must be rough on the cheeks :lol: I do love the rats 8)

7. serenmaster

serenmaster Member

wrap the rear tire in paper for those days after chili night

8. antiorder

antiorder Member

Seriously the seat is insane. I hope it's not finished for your ass' sake!

9. tensor8686

tensor8686 Member

cmon guys i aint riding on that seat the bikes got about another 1000 dollars worth of work going into it including a springer seat the seat is just there to help my imagination i wont be riding until probably next spring im completley redoing everything pretty much this is just an update from where i was at like 2 weeks ago check out the post just called xj650 rat bob then come check this one out

but thanks for the compliments on the bike im into this thing its like raising a child

10. tsmith

tsmith Member

I have to say I love the tank. I never even thought about modifying the original.

11. Kylew11

Kylew11 Member

Dude, great bike!

how did you do the exhaust? I want the same thing. how is it for noise vs. stock and vs. header only??

12. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

Dude, that looks great. I tried beating in my old tank but after several hours I just coudn't get both sizes exactly the same so I scrapped the project and threw the tank away. But props man that thing is sick!

13. tensor8686

tensor8686 Member

To do the exhaust i took a 5 foot piece of 1 1/4 inch exhaust pipe i got at a muffler store and then i used a little mig welder and attached it to the 2 outside headers im not sure how it sounds yet my prediction is awesome but my electrical is at a stand still right now for the tank i think it worked out as well as it did because im kinda ocd about symmetrics both sides of the tank look pretty identical and will look more so after i strip the paint and bondo it

14. tensor8686

tensor8686 Member

Got a little more done this weekend shaved the bar mounts , took an original stock front fender cut it in half beat it with a hammer and made it about 2x as wide and welded to frame as a rear fender and then took another stock front fender i had and cut it down and shaped it as a front fender(psych more like a rain guard)

[​IMG]

15. Orange-n-Black

I'm digging the rear fender. :wink:

16. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Sweet looking bike.

My exhaust does much the same thing only i've got FLH harley mufflers on each side. I had to up the main jet 2 sizes and shim the needles 1 shim. Your results may vary.

17. tensor8686

tensor8686 Member

yeah im actually running 122 main jets right now cause my pipes are just for looks so cops take a look and think oh hes got exhaust that bike must just be loud from the factory essentially im running open headers and pod filters

18. tensor8686

tensor8686 Member

just to clarify its not that this bike hasnt ran it ran great for a while until the electrical ground out and caught on fire if you search the post xj650 rat bob you can see what it looked like when it was running I just decided to do what i wanted to originally and make it exactly what i want old skool hard tail big bars dished tank true bobbed fender

19. tensor8686

tensor8686 Member

just realized the parts bike ive been taking bolts and fenders of of is an xs400 so its getting chopped and rebuilt to starting imediatley doing that will fill my time while im waiting for money to get parts for the xj

20. pauluminous

pauluminous Member

Thinking of doing the same, just wondering though how/if the original shock mounts will stand up to the abuse of a rigid?