1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 Chop

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by yamchop, May 19, 2010.

1. yamchop

yamchop Member

Hey guys, I'm new here. Thought I'd show off my chop project. Just finished the new bars this week and installed a stage 3 jet kit. Working on tuning it now. Later this summer I'll replace the struts and weld up a rigid frame like on Crath's bike. Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great info on this site. I've learned a lot!

Attached Files:

2. schooter

schooter Active Member

very cool man, i'm loving what everyone is doing here

3. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

what ever you used for a seat fits really well good job on the bike

4. yamchop

yamchop Member

Thanks! I just chopped and shaved the original seat down to nothing and recovered it with new vinyl. I'll have to make a new one when I weld up the new frame rails though.

5. Plumber

Plumber Member

love those bars

6. skillet

skillet Active Member

Looking GOOD! Let's know how you do with the tuning...

skillet

7. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

Good lookin' scoot.

8. tibor

tibor Member

Sweet ride!

Cheers,

Trev

9. yamchop

yamchop Member

Thanks!
    Just finished tuning the carbs. The bike screams now! It runs great. Now it's time to start cutting on the frame!

10. littlegiant

littlegiant Member

Hey why dont you put a youtube link here to watch the video of it running..??

11. butchietee

butchietee Member

Dude, Looks Awesome.

12. yamchop

yamchop Member

I don't have any videos of it yet. I'll have to look into getting one posted.

13. tibor

tibor Member

nice work yamchop, so just curious, did installing the stage 3 kit per the instructions do the trick or did you have to adjust the jetting further to get it "screaming"? ;)

14. yamchop

yamchop Member

Yeah, I installed it per instructions but then I had to raise the needles one notch higher to adjust for some stumbling at steady speed cruising. Sync'd them up again and now I have excellent acceleration at any rpm and nice smooth cruising. I was worried about the switch to pods from all the horror stories I've heard but I seem to be one of the lucky ones that it worked out for. I'm VERY happy with the results!

15. rockerto

rockerto Member

Needle height is something i will look out for on my 1st road test, thanks for the tip..

Good work, unrestricted pods and an open exhaust seems to work for a few people on XJbikes.com. Have you done a colortune or how do your plugs look now?

16. yamchop

yamchop Member

I haven't done a plug chop yet. That's next on my list before I start cutting on the frame. Good luck on your road test rockerto!

17. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

alright man... that is one cool ass looking chop. I have a few questions for ya...

The bars - anychance I can get you to make me a set :D I might want mine a tad different though. Maybe just Z-Bars and slightly different, but I'd be happy as shit with what you have there.

The seat - If you are going to be redoing the seat would you be interested in swapping your seat you already moded with my stock one that's in great shape? I can send you pics of it if you want. That way you're working with a clean slate on your new seat. Just a thought, because I would love to have that seat and I don't think I have the skillz to do that good of a job.

Jet Kit - where did you pick up the jet kit, how much was it, and what jets did you end up needing?

Pods - Same thing.... where did you get them and how much were they?

Again..... sweet ass bike. I can only hope to have something remotely that nice when all is said and done.

18. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

Cool the way you have the guage sitting between the blacked out risers dragbars, is that from Mikes XS?

19. yamchop

yamchop Member

Hi koolaid. Did you get the email I sent about the sync gauge? Not sure if it went through. Thanks for the interest in my bars but I'm not confident enough in my welding skills yet to be making any to sell. I'd be happy to send you the measurements and some better pics of them if you'd like though! I'll let you know when I take the seat off if you want it. I'll be making the next one with a steel seat pan and some leather. I got the jet kit and the pods off of ebay. The pods are nothing special. I paid about $25 for all 4. I couldn't afford K&Ns. The jet kit was about $125. The only thing I changed from the recommended installation was I raised the needles on all the carbs up one notch. The jets I installed were 112's. Once I do the plug chop if the bike is still running lean I'll install the 116's that were also included in the kit.

20. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I DID get the email. Thanks a lot man. Do you happen to have links or the sellers names of where you got the jet kit and pods? I can look on ebay, but yours are already tested and proven good, so I'd like to get the same stuff if possible.

I beleive in your skillz if you change your mind on making me some bars :D I'll keep bugging you about the seat too, so you don't forget.

Now I just have to get my bike to idle....