1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 Maxim X timing chain adjustment help please

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Babylon, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Babylon

Babylon Member

Afternoon guys ... Long time since I've been in the house as I sold my XJ to my housemate ... Then took it back recently as he had problems paying the rent! :lol:
    My question is ... I've done a search on this section of the forum and I see there seems to be either automatic and manual timing chain adjusters on the XJ range.

Which one does my XJ700 Maxim X have please? The chain is getting real loud and clattery and I think it really needs looking at this weekend :(

I'm hoping it's the easier one that Rick describes as I'll be at the GF's this weekend and haven't got my Torque wrench with me!

Cheers in advance for any help and if anyone can post a link to the best thread with the info that would be mighty helpful.

Thanks guys 8)

2. xRedemptionx

xRedemptionx Member

its an automatic adjuster use ricks method it works like a charm
    its simple.
    two slow turns forward (counter clockwise) one quick one backwards (clockwise)... remember.... sloooooooow first.

3. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

The XJ700 adjuster is pretty fool-proof automatic and i have rarely heard of anyone with problems.
    If it's noisy, you may very well have other problems.

There is a guide on the front, back and tops of the cam chain. They are plastic and get a lot of thermal abuse. Hopefully one of them aren't coming apart.

The tensioner is a simple device. It's a plunger with a rachet pawl and spring loaded. The spring pushes it in when the chain has some slack and the rachet keeps it from pushing back out.
    IIRC it is physically possible to put it on upside down BUT then the rachet mechanism doesn't work right and you have no tension.
    The plunger is slightly offset to one side of the bolts and I will need to look at which way is the correct way.
    It is possible to get it off without pulling the carbs but you need a 1/4"x6" drive wobble extension on a 3" straight extension with a 5mm allen socket wrench and REALLY flexible wrist and good vision.
    It's almost easier to just pull the carbs :)

***EDIT*** the plunger is actually centered between the bolts so unless you take it off, you cant easily see the difference. There is a small little "bump" on the bottom side of it. If you can't see it on the top you are good to go.

I would definitely try Rick's method before taking anything apart though. It can't hurt anything and if you feel any slack when you turn it you know there is something wrong.