1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj750 CARBURETORS

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Codysc843, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

How about the front brakes if I get the calipers master cylinder and all off of a different bike wouldn't it work on mine? Seen a video where a guy used a cbr crotch rocket brake setup for his xj750

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you could fix or get another caliper to replace yours . or try to remove the broken bleeder maybe find a machine shop to remove it.

for parts from another bike you may have to make brackets for calipers unless you replace the whole front end

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Ok, so if the exhaust is “way too quiet”.... leave it alone. You finally found one part that is working correctly.

These bike ARE quiet.......not like a Goldwing, but quiet.

If you want loud, you can:
    1. Remove the mufflers
    2. Use aftermarket mufflers
    3. Put Sportser mufflers on
    4. Take mufflers off and cut the down pipes shorter
    5. Get a Harley

There’s just a short lists. It ranges from “you’ll go deaf sooner” to “you’ll make your neighbors mad at you” to “you’ll probably get a ticket”.

NONE of those will make your bike any better. All they will do is give you different levels of loud. If you think you’re gonna get the real big “Thunder rolling down the road” sound... reality check- it ISN’T gonna happen with an XJ.

Seens to me that you’re getting so many irons in the fire with this project, that you’re going in circles. I say slow down and FIX one thing at a time. Maybe you are, but it seems like we’re getting shotgun questions.

BTW... we aren’t arguing, we’re having fun. We do that... sometimes at each other’s expense, sometimes at your’s. Sometimes we digress....oh, looks a bird!

jayrodoh and XJ550H like this.
  4. XJ550H

I guess if you lose your sense of humor with these bikes you lose your mind and not going to have fun. I do agree with hog fiddles that you have to work on one system on the bike at a time. This does not mean that you can't do the brakes while working on the motor and carbs. Your priority should be to get the bike running first and correctly so that you actually have a need for the brakes. You have a 750 Maxim with a broken bleeder screw which does need to be repaired. So while you wait for the new bleeder screw or your caliper you should work on the motor in The carburetors. And when the brakes come in you can fix them. There is a thread on bleeding 750 seca brakes which will help you bleed your brakes because with the dual disc it's a real b**** to do. Involves things like tying back to break love and let the air bleed out overnight. to running a vibrator up the lines to bring the air to the surface. Not that kind of a vibrator but like a orbital vibrating sander as opposed to a belt sander. Unless you have one of those vibrators laying around. But that's too much information. See I threw a joke in there.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    hogfiddles likes this.
  5. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

So i can get a parts bike cheap I believe I can swap the entire front break system to mine I'm wondering why it wouldn't work? I think it will

6. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

You can't have any air in the system. Air compresses a lot, and even a few bubbles in the line will prevent pressure build up. If you can't bleed one side because the bleeder is buggered up, then it's a loss on the whole system.

It's generally cheaper and easier to replace or rebuild parts designed for the brake system that came with the bike. Swaps have been done but I would rather repair/replace one original caliper over trying to adapt an entire braking system off another bike. That said, if you try it and it works/is bolt on please keep us informed.

7. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

Well correct me if I'm wrong but if the master cylinder has ANY pressure at all coming out it's working right?
    I took the hose off covered the cylinder with my finger and pumped the clutch a bit and when I let off you could hear it release pressure so I think that's good again correct me if I'm wrong about that

I rode it to the gas station (no brakes) seemed fine got backed parked it and the right side exhaust had smoke coming out not the left side at all I'm not sure what that means.

How do I check the caliper itself now that it's off the bike inside (to retread the broke screw hole)

Also it's got 2 quarts of 10w40 after I drained the old oil out, the whole ride the oil light was blinking and idk why.

8. XJ550H

yu can run an allen screw into mc to test presure.
    your a little light on the oil quanity 2.6 qt oil change
    2.8 qt with filter

9. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

So what causes oil light to blink steady while riding and what causes smoke to come out one exhaust after shutoff for about 45secs

10. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

I'm not sure you read my comment through, did I check the master cylinder correctly and how do i check caliper with it disconnected? Few more questions there also

11. hogfiddles

Blinking light
    1. Oil level could still be low
    2. Oil level sender could be dirty, clogged

smoke from muffler
    1. Could be excess gas still burning off
    2. Could be excess blow by burning off
    3. Could be moisture still burning off
    4. Could be bad rings
    5. Could be bad valve stem seals
    Etc....

How to check a caliper that’s not connected
    1. You don’t

12. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

How to check a caliper that’s not connected... well, you could put a spacer, like a thin piece of wood or something, between the pads, or between the frame and piston, if the pads aren't there, and then use compressed air to verify that the caliper grips the spacer with a bit of pressure applied, and releases when the pressure is removed.

Calipers are pretty simple devices. If you have one off, you should disassemble it, clean it, probably hone it unless the bore is really smooth, and install a new seal kit.

13. hogfiddles

I believe he doesn’t have it connected to anything.....

14. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Yeah. To test with compressed air you wouldn't need it connected to anything. You would just inject some air into the line connection port with the nozzle of a blower.

15. XJ550H

2 quarts of oil is not enough see my post on quantities with oil filter change and just oil change.

16. Codysc843

Codysc843 Member

Ok so bike runs pretty good current issues are:
    1) bikes oil light keeps blinking as soon as it fires up during ride and until its shutoff

2) turning signals stay lit on any selection and do not blink at all

17. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

The oil swx (as mentioned above) could have some sludge build up on it. Adding some sea foam to the oil could help that out, flushing the oil system.

The turn signals could be just the battery. If you have a car battery and some jumper cables is a good way to test. If the lights still don't blink when you have a known good battery or power going to a non running bike, then it might be the relay.

You have all stock or OEM lights on the bike? Changing any of the lights to LED's will have a effect on how the lights operate.

hogfiddles likes this.
  18. XJ550H

oil quanity 2.6 qt oil change or 2.8 qt with filter 2 quarts of oil you added after drain is not enough oil
    or

19. XJ550H

could be you have wrong wattage bulbs

is the self canceller is still on the bike remove it

20. hogfiddles

Usually the self-cancelling unit doesn’t do that. All it does is turn the signal off after a period of time. It is not what controls the blinking itself. Sounds like either the wrong bulbs are on it or something is wired wrong.

XJ550H likes this.