1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750 cdi IS it just me...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cruzerjd, Jun 4, 2008.

1. cruzerjd

cruzerjd Member

or are these becoming a hot commodity. Back last year when i replaced the one on my XJ650 with the correct part, i couldn't get jack for it, 3 relistings and got i think $10. Now that i have the 750 motor in and want to go back to a 750 CDI, they are getting way exoensive. I have bid for the last 3 weeks, cutting off at $45 each time and getting outbid. Some are going for over $70. Last night i finally won an auction at $51. I may dyno the bike with the 650 vs 750 cdi as well. Was going to do that last time but the dyno shop i used got rid of their dyno so no go. I will have to suffer the wrath and ridicule of the local Harley shop (jk, decent guys). If i recall, the 650 started with a bit less advance at idle and had full advance in by 5k, the 7500 had bit more initioal timing and was all in at 4k. We will see ow they work, cruzerjd

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The '82-4 XJ650 and all the XJ750 models used the same igniter. The '80-1 XJ650 Maxim used a different igniter box, different advance curve, probably due to the YICS vs. non-YICS issue. The XJ650 Seca used a box all its own.

The factory manuals use a slightly different method of specifying advance curves between the '80-1 and '82-4 boxes, which I think is what causes confusion, along with the fact that the factory manuals aren't always 100% accurate.

The label code for the '82-4 650/all 750 igniters should be TID14-06, 5G2-10.