1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750 Seca rewiring RH handlebar switches

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Erman, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Erman

Erman Member

Fellow XJ'ers...
    I need some input for rewiring the harness to incorporate an aftermarket RH switch on my 750 Seca. It has a kill switch, start button, and a lighting switch.
    The lighting switch has three wires compared to the original 4-wire type.

What can I do to make 3 wires work 4 wires? I want both the headlight and the aux light to turn on when I flip the lighting switch.

(Below is the wiring diagram)

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

Do you have a diagram for the switch? Or any coding for the wires?

3. Erman

Erman Member

I don't have a diagram, but it's this one from Wemoto:

http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/hl-694605/

I've tested with a voltmeter. When the lights switch is off, there is no contact between the three wires. When the switch is on, all three wires are connected together.

4. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

I'm not sure the switch would work to be honest, the diagram shows the park/sidelight circuit & headlamp circuit as 2 distinct circuits each with their own seperate power supplies, routed through the computer

The parking light wires (red/yellow & blue) are joined together to switch on park light/instrument lights & tail light, then the headlamp wires (yellow & blue/black) are joined to switch on headlamp.

I think if you wanted to do what you're trying to, you'd need a 4 wire switch where "OFF" has no terminals connected & "ON" would have 2 pairs of terminals connected separately from one another, otherwise there's a chance you could damage the computer or get false warnings from it.

I'm not 100% that you couldn't do it (could possibly be done by fitting diodes to the 2 +12v wires & running both to one switch terminal & then having the 2 other wires connected to the remaining terminals) as I'm just skimming over the diagram quickly because I have a migraine, but I wouldn't recommend it just in case :?

Hopefully someone who better understands the way the computer works (and can see what I'm driving at with the diode idea) will be able to add to this...

5. Erman

Erman Member

Thanks guys!

6. Erman

Erman Member

I found another RH switch with three lighting positions, the way it is on the XJ. Will try with these once they arrive.

7. Erman

Erman Member

I see I haven't updated this one. The new switches I got were apparently for an ATV, but they have 4 wire connection for the headlights and so they make a 3 point connection possible.
    The only remaining thing now, is to make the headlight work with the current setup.