1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750J Battery Warning Light

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ptbiker, Mar 15, 2008.

1. ptbiker

ptbiker New Member

My bike is missing the battery sensor and the harness has been cut at the plug-in for it. The owners manual says to insert the sensor in the 3rd well from the + side of the battery.

Based on tha above am I correct that the Computer Warning System wants to see 8 volts to turn off the light ?

What is the range of voltages that will keep the light off ?

If it indeed needs 8 volts then I will be adding a LM7808CT voltage regulator just to turn off the light.

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

I am not sure of the voltage but I do believe it is much lower than 8 volts. I believe it reads the voltage from the single cell which would be no more than 2 volts. So don't hook anything up until someone who knows answers. Don't want to fry the computer!

3. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

on my 750, the voltage on the sensor (bike running, measured after the resistor, closed loop) is as follows:

referenced to negative terminal (ground): 3.56VDC
    referenced to positive terminal: 11.5VDC.

I would also start way lower than 8 volts, just to be sure.

4. turbobike

turbobike Member

I hooked teh battery sensor wire to the horn (acc) fuse.. 12v. Works fine for me.

5. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

6. turbobike

turbobike Member

You don't need resisters, and 'splicing' into a wire is bad.

Seriously, just hook the white w/red strip wire to "other" end of the fuse... where the power goes to. that way when fuses is in place, it gets the 12v, and it's also protected by the fuse. I can take pictures, but it's nothing more than, extending that white w/red stripe wire to the fuse.

any voltage will work.. the sensor is looking for no voltage, or some sort of 'failure'. which is usually when the fluid level of the battery goes below the sensor. It doesn't read how many volts or anything, just a simple off / on check.

if off, show warning light and battery light, if on, do nothing

7. ptbiker

ptbiker New Member

Thanks for the replys. I will go with the 12v method, No battery drain as the circut is switched via the main switch (per wireing diagram).

It will be nice not seeing the warning everytime I go to ride it.