1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Yes, Dynatek coils make a difference

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by LarryMc, Dec 23, 2017.

1. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Upon installing a set of Dynatek DC1 coils on my XJ550, not only does the bike fire up with minimal choke but it seems to achieve idle at 1100 rpm without choke in under a minute. It was a little fussy warming up with the other coils which were stock CB750 coils. Under acceleration the response is very crisp and it immediately drops back to idle with no occasional hunting to find its idle rate.
    Visually, the spark is noticeabley larger with a snap healhy snap sound when it ignites.
    If you have been wondering about these coils and if they are worth double the price of similar stock replacement
    3 ohm coils, bottom line is: get some!

2. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Are they 'plug n play' replacements?

3. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

They are dimensional different so they mount differently. Xj4ever sells a mounting kit which is pretty slick so I'm going to say "yes" they are plug and play if you are mechanically inclined. You'll want to change out your plug wires for new ones because the length cut off factory units probably won't be enough.
    That's another plus of Dyna coils is that you can change out the plug wires from the coil. The factory coils have the wire perminantly attached to them.

4. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

My first posted should have included-
    If you have a well tuned bike and want to take take it up a notch the Dyna coils will provide noticeable improvement. They won't help if your carbs are jacked up or if the valve clearances are whack.

chacal likes this.
  5. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    I'll check them out for sure..Is this a good clearance for my carbs?

bread-clearance.jpg

Paul Howells and chacal like this.
  6. Xed

Xed Member

I installed a set on my 81 550, Turned out pretty good, Haven't gotten the carbs dialed in yet but i did notice a HUGE difference in how it ran and started compared to the other coils.

Mine are kinda....rigged...in there. I'll likely make better mounts for them once i get it finished up so it looks kosher, I snagged the copper wires for it from a local car quest for about 9 dollars for all 4.

20170404_182130_HDR.jpg

20170404_182100_HDR.jpg

20170404_182023_HDR.jpg

20170404_163807_HDR.jpg

20170404_163741_HDR.jpg

20170321_200709_HDR.jpg

20170321_151030_HDR.jpg

7. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

@chacal What's the cost all said and done with the mounting kit (xj650) ?

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Most of us Turbo guys have installed Accel coils but nearly ANY aftermarket is better then the weak-orange-yellow spark the stock coils generate on a good day! I've oft said....the spark on my stock Turbo was the weakest spark I've ever seen on any bike....and yes, they were perfectly within spec.

Huge difference....good post!

jeff

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

all XJ550 models:

The following HIGH-OUTPUT IGNITION COIL KITS are designed to fit all XJ550 models without any frame modifications or cutting. Each kit features a pair of high-output coils sets, including the specially designed coil mounting brackets, illustrated instructions, and your choice of plug wire style and color, making these kits the finest bolt-on coil sets available.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  10. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

I assume they fit XJ650 too?

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

yes he has a set for 650 listed in his catalog

The following HIGH-OUTPUT IGNITION COIL KITS are designed to fit all XJ650, XJ750 air-cooled models, XJ900, XJ1100, and all XS1100 models without any frame modification (NOTE: some models will require the flasher relay hanger bracket, which is welded onto the right side frame tube, to be removed and re-located or replaced with the universal relay mounting bracket included). Each kit features a pair of high-output coils sets, including the specially designed coil mounting brackets, illustrated instructions, and your choice of plug wire style and color, making these kits the finest bolt-on coil sets available.

Coil Kits with bare plug wire ends (for use with stock type plug caps):

HCP22084BLK This kit comes complete with black 8mm plug wires already installed; wires have bare ends for use with stock OEM or replacement style resistive plug caps (plug caps are notincluded). Fits all XJ650, XJ750 air-cooled, XJ900, and XJ1100 models.

Ribo likes this.
  12. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

I had good results with a Dynatek mini coil on my SRX600 as well. The stock coil was in spec but had a weak spark, easier starting and smoother running now. $$ well spent I reckon.

13. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have not yet looked into this, but what are the things/specs to look out for when chosing aftermarket coils?

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The resistance of the primary and secondary coils, as well as the voltage that they are wound for. Matching the primary resistance is exceedingly important, as the incorrect value will cause TCI damage.

15. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Great, thank you very much, as always

16. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I was lucky enough to find a NOS pickup coil set. I installed those when I installed the coils because one of the pickups was intermittently failing after it was heated up. I was able to verify this off the bike by heating it up with a heat gun.
    I had several people swear it was the coils that were becoming heat soaked and dropping out. That's one reason I purchased the Dynas and wondered if they were money poorly spent. I was wrong and the bike never ran or responded so well.

17. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

I'm liking this idea but for $300 I'm going to stick with my stockies for now as they're doing just fine. I'll start putting the pennies away for when I need these though. :)

18. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Screenshot_2018-01-14-19-49-29.png
    This is about as low as you can get a set of Dynatek coils. For about $25 more you can get new wires, boots and connectors which are needed to hook everything up anyway

19. desmotom

desmotom Active Member

take my money!

20. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Late on the draw, but can someone confirm that exceeding the primary ohms is not a problem? Just coming under, correct? I have Forseti coils at the moment that are 5 ohms primary resistance. They turned the bike over just fine, and they weren’t hot when I shut it down. Not trying to highjack the thread.