1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Yet another newbie with an XJ 550!!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Donophan, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Donophan

Donophan Member

Summertime is here, isn't it?! I've just joined this sight and love all of the information already! I am the new owner of a slightly used XJ 550 Maxim. It starts right up on the first try and has less than 3k miles! I love it! (can't ride it yet, no license . . . working on that though!) It has sat for a while, but the PO got it running real nice and then decided he wanted a pickup truck instead. His loss. (Maybe, lol I may have overpaid, but it's worth it to me!)

I can't wait to shine up some of the chrome and buff the paint. It should look REAL nice. Minor surface rust on headpipes from setting, and minor pitting on the fork tubes (above the range of travel though).

I'm glad I'm not the only one here with one of these bikes. I was looking around for a small beginner bike for a long time and the wife okayed it once I took her to a dealership and she got to sit on a new Triumph Bonneville. She still wants one, but I told her I wasn't going to pay 7400 for my first motorcycle. Found this one about 60 miles away on Ebay.

Hopefully I'll be able to get all of my ??'s answered here when I have them. I'm well versed with automobile repair and performance, but I only have minor experience with motorcycles!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

2. samsr

samsr Member

Welcome to the site, Looking forward to seeing some pics of the bike. Remember the only stupid question is the one not asked.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Donophan:

Please use the "Location" and the "Signature" feature.

Your location will put you in touch with other Members nearby,

Filling out the "Signature" section with a Thumbnail of your bike will let us all know what we're dealing with when you Post a question:

Format:

Welcome to the Hotel California.
    Rick

4. motoxrcr

motoxrcr New Member

Congrats on the 550 and welcome!

5. Donophan

Donophan Member

Thanks for the suggestions. How's this working? Hope to post pics this weekend!

6. RickCoMatic

28-Hundred ...
    Ain't even broke-in yet miles?

You got a dog named: "Mr. Peabody"???

Sounds like you had a ride in the "Way-back Machine" and brought-back a New bike with you!

7. Donophan

Donophan Member

I wish it was brand new, but yeah just 2800 miles. Been laid down once, on the right. Gonna need a new rear brake lever or put this one under the torch. Round thing on the front brake lever is gone too. Oh well, still love what I found! I started out looking for a winter project, but when I found this I couldn't wait and I'll be riding it this summer and tearing it down this winter!

8. kontiki

kontiki Member

Sounds like you found a great XJ. Good luck with it.

This is a great site I have learned quite a bit from the people here. I'm still waiting for someone to teach the secret biker handshake though.....

9. Donophan

Donophan Member

Got some pictures of what I'm working with in my gallery. Nothing special yet, just another xj 550. (this one's MINE though!)

10. RickCoMatic

An Old School trick for trying to save little rubber things that are close to dead is "Painting-on" with an artist-type paint brush ...

TEAC Rubber Pinch-roller reconditioner.

They probably don't even make it anymore.
    They sold it in bottles containing a lifetime supply; though.

Perhaps you could put-up a little poster in a Nursing Home and see if anyone has some left-over from the 50's!

11. Scrape

Scrape Member

Here is a link to what may be that product....look down the list for it.
    http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vparts.html