1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Yet another tuning issue

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cameronleeharris, Aug 5, 2015.

1. cameronleeharris

cameronleeharris Member

Long time follower of the forum. I have learned so much and can't thank you guys enough. Here is my issue:

82 XJ550 Maxim
    Purchased 3 years ago and has never ran "right". I am determined to get this bike running the way I know it can (my friend has an 81 XJ550 that reminds me regularly of how my bike is lacking!)

Here is what I've done:

-Carbs Rebuilt - completely broken down, zestfully clean, replaced float needles, bowl gaskets, pilot screw o-rings. All jets are stock (now). Float levels have been wet set (on bike, level left to right and front to back with block under the front tire) 3.5mm below float bowl gasket. One can never be 100% sure but I feel confident in the setup of the carbs.
    - Valve clearances checked - I checked my clearances, several of them were too big. I ordered the correct shims and installed them. (Interesting note: After installing the new shims I re checked the clearances and they were drastically tight. I thought maybe the engine needed to run to "seat" the shims in place. This may be an issue)
    - Synced carbs with Carbtune and YICS port blocked.
    - Adusted pilot mixture using Colortune. This is where things get interesting. Carbs 1, 2 and 3 acted strangely. The color was yellow consistently until I had the screw completely closed, at which point is turned slightly blue (clearly not correct). I can get the bike to a stable idle, but if I add any choke it stumbles and dies (my past experience is that adding choke will increase rpms.) I pulled the plugs and they are black and sooty. At one point Carb 4 was 1.5 turns out and the plug was actually white (indicating a lean mixture).

I have the YICS tool and the Carbtune on rental from Len so I'm hoping to get this resolved soon. My first step will be to go back in and recheck the valve clearances. Any other ideas?? Thanks in advance guys!

2. Luis

Luis Member

I ordered the correct shims and installed them. Did you use the correct chart??? I only ask because first time around, I used the wrong chart (Interesting note: After installing the new shims I re checked the clearances and they were drastically tight. I thought maybe the engine needed to run to "seat" the shims in place. This may be an issue) Yes, it will be an issue, Re check valve clearance, motor needs to be cold, room temp
    - Synced carbs with Carbtune and YICS port blocked. Moot point until the valves are in spec....
    I go to Vegas every year, and I would be willing to wager if you did rebuild your carbs completely broke the rack down, throttle shafts seals and all and was anal about zestfully clean, and have your valve clearance in spec, and then sync and colortune, I bet you will see a world of difference....

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

is the bike exhaust, air box stock, and air filter fully stock ? what jets are in it now and what was in it?
    did you do a compression check ?what were the numbers?
    when you replace the shims you have to turn the engine over a few times to force the oil out from under them, or run for a day then recheck.
    setting for wet set fuel is 2mm below plus/minus 1 mm below carborator chamber mixing body NOT GASKET.
    so depending what you mean by gasket your fuel levels could be to low or to high .
    which could be why you run rich if set to high
    did you install new mixture screws? if you have to almost fully seat them could be worn or wrong part.
    are you sure your enrichment plungers are fully down when you shut off the enrichment circuit (choke)? if not this could lead to richness.
    when are you turning on the Choke before or after starting? if you are running rich you may not need as much choke to start.
    what is your idle set to? is it the same after 10 miles of riding?

was the tip of the insulator of the of plug 4 starting to turn paperbag brown? if so it may have been the correct setting. how long did you run before reading your plugs.
    have you done a plug chop yet? I would suggest an idle one as well this will isolate when you start running rich.
    wet set.PNG

Luis likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Fuellevels are a key component to having the correct mixture. A high level will result in being rich. XJ550H gives good advice. Follow it.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

i forgot something. to check if carbs are level when on center stand check fuel level on carb one to carb one. then check fuel level of carb one to carb four.
    after you check levels run bike for a few minutes then recheck levels.

6. cameronleeharris

cameronleeharris Member

Great! Thanks for all the responses. Here we go:

- Exhaust, Airbox and filter are stock (although not originally, PO had pods and alternate jet sizes)
    - No compression check - not sure I have the tools to do this
    - I have run the engine a fair bit since replacing the valve shims, rechecking clearances is next
    - I have attached photos of my fuel levels
    - I did not install new mixture screws. Replaced the o-rings though
    - The enrichment plungers are fully down when running the bike. The choke "issue" happens when the bike is running. It starts and idles with no choke and then when choke is added the bike dies.
    - Idle is set to 1300-1500rpms. I have not ridden it long enough to see if that changes. The bike is difficult to ride as is. Bogs down at low rpms, etc. Plug chops are on the list now.
    - When I rebuilt the carbs they were completely broken down, throttle shaft seals and all. I was extremely anal about cleaning them and replacing rubber parts that were worn.
    - Jet sizes - Main 112.5, Pilot 35

I will update with valve clearances in my next post. Here are links to fuel level pics:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47oYEUgDxqfeU9pelZQMzBaMWM/view?usp=docslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47oYEUgDxqfODM2cXpyTVNrSWc/view?usp=docslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47oYEUgDxqfTHlsNHJuRWQ3WDA/view?usp=docslist_api

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

When you cleaned the carbs did you remove the air jets? Did you put them back exactly where they came from?

Your fuel levels look to be a little low.

The bike starting from cold without choke, and bogging with the choke on and the engine warm tells me that you are rich at idle.

Given that the bike had pods, and the carbs were rejetted, and you can't get the idle screws to adjust to a lean mixture, I think that you may have aftermarket idle screws (and possibly aftermarket slide needles)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  8. cameronleeharris

cameronleeharris Member

Yes. When I cleaned the carbs I removed everything but the emulsion tubes. I'm confident that everything went back in its appropriate place.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B47oYEUgDxqfOXlEOVRBb1YwQ1k/view?usp=docslist_api

Does the screw look stock? I'm not sure I would know the difference.

The confusing part is how could low fuel levels and a rich mixture at idle coexist. I have gone back and forth with this bike. At first it was utter frustration but now it's more like the world's greatest challenge. :)

9. cameronleeharris

cameronleeharris Member

Updated Valve Clearances:
    Intakes (1-4): .127, .076, .127, .076
    Exhaust (1-4): .178, .178, .152, .178

I2, I4 and E3 are all too tight. These used to be:

I2: .152 with shim 275 (now 280)
    I4: .152 with shim 275 (now 280)
    E3: .203 with shim 265 (now 270)

Should I go back to the original shims for those?

10. cameronleeharris

cameronleeharris Member

UPDATE:

- I went back to the original shim sizes on I2, I4 and E3.
    - As I was putting things back together one of the plug caps got snagged up and pulled off. This got me thinking about electrical. I went ahead and tested some resistances and fitting the plug caps back onto the wires. I noticed that I have 5K ohms plug caps ... is this correct? I measured coil resistances and they were in spec. I am using non-resistor plugs. Everything normal here?
    - Carb synced w/ YICS blocked
    - Colortuned - Hard to read the color during the day, but #1, 3 and 4 acted differently this time. Starting from completely screwed in the flame jumped immediately to yellow as I unscrewed. At one point (~2 turns), the yellow went away and it appeared to be blue (although the flame was quite weak). #2 is still the same, constantly yellow unless screwed all the way in.
    - Test Drive - Bogging down at low RPMS. Plug Chop - Black, sooty. Classic Rich running symptoms.

In regards to aftermarket idle screws and slide needles ... I can rule out aftermarket slide needles as I have compared those with my buddies 81 XJ550 and they are identical. I took a picture of the idle screws, they don't seem aftermarket to me, but I really have no idea.

What am I missing here guys???

11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Did you re-measure the clearances?

XJ550's should have 10K resistance per cap, but it doesn't matter enough to cause a difference in regards to the problems you are experiencing. Have you considered changing the spark plugs to a new set?

This is not the way it should work. At a fully turned in position, there should basically be no fuel coming thru the pilot circuit, so the engine will either stall or be REALLY lean (white). As you gradually turn the mixture screw out, it should become blue, and as the screw is turned even further out, then the flame color will go yellow (rich).

If turning the screw out just slightly from bottom (fully closed position) results in a yellow flame, then you have a problem either with the fuel levels being WAY too high, the jets being WAY too large, or the choke being partially open ALL the time.

My guess is the fuel level is too high, or the choke system is constantly leaking a small bit of fuel. Have you inspected the ends of the choke plunger valves for any deformities, bent/broken tips, damaged rubber "seat", etc.?

12. cameronleeharris

cameronleeharris Member

Thank you for the response.

- Yes, I re-measured the clearances and now they are all in spec.
    - I thought those caps were not right ... what would the symptoms of having not enough resistance be? Could that contribute to rich running conditions?
    - I posted photos of fuel levels and another member thought they looked low if anything
    - The jets are all stock, verified side by side with the carbs from my friends 81 XJ550 (which runs well).
    - I have not done an in-depth inspection of the choke plunger valves. I can pull those out and take a few photos. They all appear to be seated fully when the choke is off.

Because the plug fouling and strange colortune behavior is occuring on most/all of the cylinders it has me thinking of more global issues like ignition (weak spark), etc.

I'll go pull those choke plungers!

13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

did you ever change the air filter? take it out and have a spin around the block

14. cameronleeharris

cameronleeharris Member

15. cameronleeharris

cameronleeharris Member

16. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can get an accurate float setting with the carbs on the bike. The carbs have to be perfectly level and I found that somewhat difficult off the bike with leveling rig I made. I had to tweak my floats several times and run gas through them several times before I could get a consistent reading on each float. I'm betting your float levels are off.

17. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

well without a air filter it should have run leaner. now to the pods and richness, i'd have a real close look at the jets to be sure the po didn't drill them

18. cameronleeharris

cameronleeharris Member

I took some photos of the fuel levels and posted links. Another member mentioned he thought they might be low if anything.

19. cameronleeharris

cameronleeharris Member

Yeah that's what I would have thought ... more air = leaner. Not much apparent change on the bike though.

The PO had different jets installed (Main 117.5 and Pilot 45). The jets in the bike now were purchased new.

20. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

I agree with chacal...the fuel levels are too high causing the rich condition. The fuel should level right about equal with the top of the washers. Cameron, a shim is 2mm thick.

Gary H.