1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Yx600 motor in a xj550

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Frosty4232, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Frosty4232

Frosty4232 Member

Would this motor bolt up and work on my bike? A forum me ever said his friend has one, but I don't want to pick it up if it won't work. The mounting bolts look to be in the same place and its chain driven, but I would just like someone's input that knows better than me.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The Radian used the 550 Maxim frame. It should drop right in, but you'll need the TCI unit and carbs if you want it to go easily.

3. Frosty4232

Frosty4232 Member

Thanks. I'm still on the look out for a 550 but its good to know I can use this engine if all goes well with the seller.

4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Frosty,

Not trying to rain on your feelings of possibly finding a motor but IMO do some research prior to making the decision buy the transplant. These are 30(+)yr old bikes. I'd make sure enough engine/carbs parts are available and cost effective for the Radian engine/carbs.

Gary

5. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

FJ or FZ600 will also work.

6. Frosty4232

Frosty4232 Member

I've been looking at those things. I found a tci unit and I've found carbs that are ready rebuilt. The problem is shipping the engine. It may not even be worth it for me if shipping and asking price are too much. I'd be better off buying the 500 dollar motor that's 2 hours from me. We'll see how it plays out though. I'm really not too worried about it right now because I just found out today I may be deploying in the next couple months. If I can get the motor before I go that would be awesome though.