1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 xj650 frame similarities ?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by joejr2, Oct 15, 2016.

1. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

When looking at stripped frames from the three 650 models from 1982, what are (if any) the differences
    between 650 maxim, Seca, or seca turbo frames.

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

There's many. What do need to know, specifically?

There's also many similarities.

If you are trying to figure out if something will swap, just ask what it is. We'll tell you if it's an easy swap. If you're getting one to be a parts bike for another, you'll find a lot of things that cross over between the 650 Maxim, and 650 non-turbo seca.......the 650 turbo Seca is based off of the same same frame as te Maxim, but there are a lot of things that were added on/welded on for the turbo model.

So, be more specific.

3. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

I have a low mileage 650 non turbo seca engine. I noticed while looking around for an 82 seca frame,
    that there were more titled maxim or seca turbo frames out there in used parts land. If I can find a frame
    that will fit the 650 seca engine other than an 82 seca frame, I will build a "Frankenseca" with the seca parts
    needed for the engine and any thing else that would fit. I would even grind off the extra tabs on a seca turbo
    if it was all I could get and it was basically compatable.
    There is a rolling 82 maxim frame at the local bike salvage yard for 700.00 , but it looks like it's been out in the
    weather for twenty years. Everything rotted, Rusted or corroded. I'd like get something for a little less in
    better shape. and gather the rest of the parts over the winter.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

between the 650 Maxim and the 650 Seca frame;

Some front Engine mount holes are different: Maxim uses short bolts, Seca bolts go through the frame.

Driver foot pegs are located differently. Possible you may be able to swap if they both are held by the long rear engine bolt, though.

Different passenger peg mounts,different exhaust hangar points

Different seat mounts

Different seat latches

Different rear fender mounts

Different grab bar mounts

Different location for side cover tabs

Tank rear mount locations

Possibly different locations for rank front mounts......not sure though

Probably other differences, too

I would suggest the following:

If all you have is the engine, you have the same engine that would be in a 1980-1981 xj650 Maxim. Get a 1980 or 1981 Maxim 650 frame and build it. The only thing you'd have to swap would be the left shifter cover. You'd need the one for a 650 Maxim rather than the 650 Seca.

I think doctors would find It would be much easier to do a heart transplant, than to take a heart and try to build a whole body around it......and expect it to live.

Dave

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016