1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

preparing for long tour

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kosel, Feb 13, 2020.

1. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

I'm planning to ride my 650 Seca to Sturgis this year and want to minimize the chance of issues. The last couple of years, this trip has averaged 3000 miles in 9 days with no day over 400 miles. All of my riding partners will be on American cruisers and we will likely have one person trailering. I'll be riding solo with gear strapped on in waterproof bags.

The following has all been done in the last 2000 miles/3 seasons: rebuilt brake MC, front calipers, forks, petcock, gas cap, and ignition switch; replaced the steering bearings and brake rotors; replaced the brake lines and had hogfiddles go through the carbs; valve clearances are in spec and running sync is done. It also has new rear brake shoes. History can be found here:
    https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/thre...-smelling-gas-from-oil-filler-opening.111417/

There are no current issues and once the weather warms a bit, I'm expecting to replace clutch springs, all cables, alternator brushes, look at the starter, and change the final drive fluid.

So, with all of that said, I am looking for thoughts on what else to tackle to reduce issues.

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Don't be swinging that log over anymore HD's!

3. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Hey, what kind of a forum is this?

4. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have most everything covered. On a trip like that I would take some basic tools, perhaps an extra bulb or two, a tire repair kit and possibly some slime.

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I agree, you seem to have it covered well. Good riding clothing or anything to help the "seat" area. I like compression shorts to hold things in place for long rides and have no seams on the skin for long drives.

6. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Hi Kosel. I agree with the others in that it sounds like you have things covered quite well. Couple of things I would add and sorry if I am stating the obvious.....if you have not, change out the front brake fluid. Also check the age on your tires in addition to the tread.

Also, although I don't expect you would need it, but I am in the Sioux Falls area and you can sure look me up if you need help.

7. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    You sound well prepared. Have you done the fuse box replacement? I was absolutely stunned at the improvement in my 650 Seca when I put in the blade fuse box. It ran so much nicer and a great improvement in gas mileage even. Simply amazing. Good Luck, have fun, be safe.
    John

Timbox likes this.
  8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the more voltage to the coils the better the spark. all those connections add up for voltage drop when dirty

9. kosel

The last couple of years, we've been stopping at Cluckin' Good for dinner on the way home.

10. kosel

Yes. It wasn't originally on my list, but the original disintegrated while removing the carbs.

Though, I could go back and clean up the electrical connections.

11. kosel

This is actually my biggest concern. I'm planning to keep this bike and I've a spare seat pan, so I've been wondering about having a custom seat made.

12. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Here is a tip from member @Polock . Set on a concrete block for hours at a time .

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^^^ That is just wrong, but it could condition you in the wrong way. How about a 5 gal bucket that could do the trick too....LOL

14. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Brush up your sense of balance and extend your riding miles by standing on the footpegs and yelling.
    It's much more effective at 60mph.

chacal likes this.
  15. Mark R

Mark R New Member

Hi Dave I’m based in Nass
    Do you know what size spark plug socket I need for a 750 Seca

16. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

? The seat on the XJ's....ALL the XJ's particular the Maxim is about the comfiest, most supportive I've ever sat on!!
    What t'bloody heck have you lads n lasses been riding?? > I just did 600+ over the last two ( warmish) days, NY>CT>Upstate>NJ, back to NY.....doing deliveries

I DID stand up a couple of times, but overall it was comfy!!

17. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Hey KerrisKandiesInc...……. now you are just showing off!
    John

kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  18. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Hahaha,no, not really, lol...I was asked, so I replied....It was a bit rougher than I thought it might be, I mean, after I got back, I felt fine for a day or so, and then my back gave out a bit ( I have a catalogue of 'old' courier injuries though, so, no surprise there, lol, plus hit a massive bloody pothole on the GWB ( George Washington bridge)...I REALLY think it put a 'notch' in my head bearings :( :( )....On the plus side, if anyone knows the two young Sportsbike riders I was filtering with.....whom I never saw again, after I passed them in the 4 miles leading upto the GW...and they were making an almighty racket to get cars to 'move over'...I was just filtering, normally, safely and courteously ( Irish lad....'filtering' is illegal over here, in most States) then say hello from me.... ;). < ok now I AM 'showing off' lol !

19. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

I don't know directly, but I don't think it's a 10mm plug, so a standard plug socket should fit.

20. kosel

Parts have arrived (thanks @chacal!). Now, to study up before I begin.