1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Rubodee83 likes this.
  2. Rubodee83

Rubodee83 Member

Yea I have to anyway. One of those bad boys shot across the garage never to be seen again lol.

Timbox and XJ550H like this.
  3. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

Started the 82 650 up for the first time in a few months in our 68 degree NC heatwave. Needed a blast of starting fluid but kicked right off. Went for a little ride around the 10 mile country road block. Runs good at about 1/4 choke. Time to check the valves, clean the carbs, and shine up all the bits. Sadly the heat wave has turned in to days of rain.

Attached Files:

Timbox, Dave in Ireland and Rubodee83 like this.
  4. XJ550H

I have a 650 just like that one

5. Eric Hughes

Eric Hughes Member

Got any pictures here I’d like to see what the engine paint looked like originally? Only the valve cover is black and the heads have remnants of black. Surely yours is in better shape than mine.

6. XJ550H

I will get some for you

7. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Well, yesterday now..... but I convinced the XJ750 Midnight to run on all 4 cylinders at once ( it appears the spark plug cap was not well afixed) and fixed the oil leak at the right side of the valve cover. When all 4 cylinders agree it is oh so sweet running, one of the nicest XJ's I have had. Maybe out for a little moto-exercise today before the ran starts again.
    John

8. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

I have to wait till monday.. because it's an oldtimer and we have different taxschemes/ridingpermits for those bikes and cars.
    No riding in dec.,jan. and februari and pay 30% roadtax a year but only if the vehicle is 25y or older.
    Due to the weatherconditions I had no trouble with that this taxyear.. lol.

9. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Fitted a 100/80-17 front tyre instead of the 120/90-17 that was fitted. Bike handles better now it's closer to how the XS1100 should be set up with tyres.
    Still a total bitsa though, with XJ1100 ignition and carbs and XJR forks and tank.
    [​IMG]WP_20210225_13_49_51_Pro_LI by Billy Bananahead, on Flickr

Franz and Yammaat like this.
  10. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Nice bike but aren't you illuminating the stars now with your headlamp? :rolleyes:

11. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Now that you come to mention it.....

12. Sami51311

Sami51311 New Member

20210220_151643.jpg 20210220_151636.jpg Last week, i changed the fork seals on the 650 Midnight. The top cap was almost impossible to remove. I almost gave up, my made-up my mind to buy a pair already taken apart ready to reassemble. I went to find a sledgehammer, because if I can't do it myself, and I know how to fix it then NOTHING will be left to "fix". I had to stop myself because I just could not hurt her. I left grabbed a bite to eat, enjoyed the nice cool air-conditioning. After I calmed down, I went to get help. It took three people, one person pushing the cap down, another holding the fork tube, and myself grabbing the little lock ring out. I cleaned the tube, put new fork oil, new seals and wipers. Then I grabbed them again to help me put cap back on.I rode the rest of the day.

Yammaat likes this.
  13. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Bar end mirrors on. Never had any before so this will be interesting. Black Bike is no where near original but I am enjoying her for little investment. The Quicksilver fits just right. It has been waiting for it's right partner a long time.

Attached Files:

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I saved my baby from a horrible death. While I'm not one to shirk riding in the rain, the number of cars that leak oil in this city is astounding so I skipped a much-needed Sunday ride. I took the Jeep out and managed to spin the back tires for about 100 feet coming away from a stop. I was not accelerating hard at all. It's been raining since 2 AM.

Be The Bunny! Safe riding and motorcycle survival thread

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    XJ550FirstTimeBuilder likes this.
  15. k-moe

ALWAYS use new pin clips. Removal almost always introduces stress risers.

Rubodee83 and XJ550H like this.
  16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Happened to me on my GT250 a long time ago diesel on the road and l came off the bike. Was on a slow corner l was lucky.

Did you get your bikes oil leak fixed k moe?

17. k-moe

I haven't had the time or inclination with the cold, and there are other projects that are must-do. It's on the list for this coming weekend. I'm almost certain at this point that I didn't get the new valve cover gasket sealed properly. It wouldn't be an issue at all if I never wanted to go over 45 MPH.
    I'll update that thread once I have it fixed.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Franz likes this.
  18. MagnaXJ600

MagnaXJ600 Member

I unplugged the wiring harness that came from the turn signal switch to test it. It was corroded inside and just needed clenaed and plugged back in. Now I need tog et a new flasher relay because the leds blink to fast.

k-moe and XJ550FirstTimeBuilder like this.
  19. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

For the last couple of days I've been tumbling my tank to knock as much rust loose as I can after pulling out that big old chunk of tank liner. Here are pics of my tumbler; yes I thought of using my dryer, but the tank didn't fit and it spins too fast; pile on the left is dump #3 after building tumbler, and pile on the right is dump#4. I got a couple of table spoons in dump#5. Setting up now to do electrolysis; anyone try it, what do you think? DSCF0943.JPG DSCF0937.JPG DSCF0938.JPG DSCF0939.JPG DSCF0940.JPG DSCF0941.JPG

kosel and XJ550FirstTimeBuilder like this.
  20. XJ550FirstTimeBuilder

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder Member

I was wondering how that had gone!! I'm jealous of your tumbling setup, looks like a solid unit.

Unfortunately, I haven't tried electrolysis. However, I HAVE had good luck with a hot vinegar soak, distilled water rinse and a soda wash afterwards on other projects, but I'm not sure how something as oddly-shaped as a tank would fare. I'm sure some others who have more experience will weigh in.