1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

Well, I got to serve penance for not referring to this forum or manual when I first got the XJ. I ordered a new valve cover gasket as the old one was leaking. Without hesitation I gave the valve cover groove and the bottom of the gasket a large slathering with a high temp gasket sealant..that is orange. What a mess. Now, that I am waiting for shims, I removed all that orange goop from the valve cover and that new $35 gasket mostly with my fingernails, which are very short. So 4 hours later...fingers cramping, head swirling, I have served my penance for not seeking ultimate knowledge from this forum first, I feel forgiven...lol time to wrap these sore fingers around a cool adult beverage and relish in the enjoyment of completing another tedious task....

2. wazimoto

wazimoto Member

Nice work bruce, I am about to put on a new valve cover gasket as well since the shims I need won't be here for a week... Hoping to not make a mess of my newly restored valve cover.

What exactly did you do wrong with applying your gasket to the vc?

On a side note...
    It's almost 50* today in MN so people are out riding their bikes everywhere!! Such torture :(

3. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

4. wazimoto

wazimoto Member

Thanks Bruce, I am well aware of that thread though :wink:
    I wouldn't have even thought of attempting to check my valve clearances without that thread!

The shims I need won't be here for a week probably so I will just wait until they come in to slap the gasket on the valve cover.

5. Foolber

Foolber Member

to answer the question on the name of the thread....

Bought it.

6. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Well done fool

7. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Go get that feeebie too !!!

8. Bighappy

Bighappy Member

Today I went to a cycle salvage MECCA!! Picked up a new to me rear fender. Stripped it, cleaned it etc. Now to get the one off the bike!

9. motors-guitars

motors-guitars Member

ordered an air filter, bought mothers metal polish and turtle wax chrome polish.... washing it with my buddy who just got his bike a week ago ( 1980 Honda T Hawk 400 cafe style.... looks amazing, but i rode it home for him and i hated how i had to slouch forward, needless to say i like mine better. ive had mine for a month and today it finally is warm enough to wash it... i havent looked forward to something this much in a long time haha

10. tdl175

tdl175 New Member

Just finished up a complete Carb rebuild on my 83 XJ750. Many happy wheelies to all those that posted the how to threads. I couldn't have done it without you and the great parts from Chacal!!!

Thanks to all!! Here's to another year of safe riding!!!

11. Magiccowinuse

Magiccowinuse Member

I put on my new starter relay/solenoid from Len! Then created a list of parts to buy to completely over haul front brake system.

12. Madmusk

Madmusk Member

Finally got my tank all finished over the weekend. There were at least 6-7 layers of paint on the thing and I'm pretty sure none of them were the factory original paint. 8O At some point the bike must have been down because there were 2 dents that were bondo'd. one you can barely tell is there. Since I'm running the tank with bare polished steel I'm accepting them as part of the bike's character. To be honest, despite them the tank looks amazing.

Anywho, after that was all done I popped my newly rebuilt carbs on the bike with a freshly charged battery and after a bit of tinkering with the gas supply it fired right up. Ah, what a good feeling, and the enrichment circuit finally does something useful!

Got the carbs synced quite well using the 2 bottle method and took the bike out for a quick test ride. Boy did it sing! I still need to dial in the mixtures. There's a slight hang in the idle that calms down over about 10 seconds which I'm hoping is just a lean condition. The plugs look good but slightly lean so I'm thinking that's the problem.

Here's my tank for a visual:

[​IMG]

13. aSECAwrencher

aSECAwrencher Member

Nice polish Job, Mad Musk. I think I'm gonna attempt to work the last little bit of drag out of the front brake system and put that silly little cotter pin back on the rear axle.

14. motors-guitars

motors-guitars Member

Spent 3 hours washing, waxing and polishing everything

15. lostkause

lostkause New Member

after troubleshooting for a couple hours on why i wasnt getting spark. I pulled the relay and voila it started. the first start after i changed engines. now i have to neaten every thing up re paint the tank. then actually put it on and see how she runs. after I put on the foot pegs and stuff.

16. Kwiski

Kwiski Member

I prettied mine up. Had small exhaust leak, Small fuel leak, &just a general full hard cleaning (wash & wax). Then went out took for a ride. Hit about 130 MPH when I found out what speed wobble is all about.Scary, Scary...But still fun to ride...

17. Bighappy

Bighappy Member

New throttle cable should be in today. Too bad I woke up to snow on the ground! Damn you Canadian weather! DAMN YOU!!!

18. fishinchickens

fishinchickens Member

I put the first six miles on it since it was put up in '86

19. Bighappy

Bighappy Member

New throttle cable on! Runs like a champ!!

20. Erman

Erman Member

Wired aftermarket RH controls (from Wemoto) to work with the existing stock wiring. Think it turned out pretty well...