1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

2. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    I have used electrolysis on a badly rusted DL650 tank that worked well enough to de-rust it down to pin holes. I used an old m/c battery, a battery maintainer/charger, very cheap dollar store powdered soap and old all thread rod for the anode. Perform the process outdoor as it is going to foam and dribble and leak out as it works and will take several days depending on how rusty and how clean you want to make the tank. It worked well and I would do it again. I have not messed with the acid cleaning method. My preference is the POR-15 tank liner after the de-rusting, or before the rust. I have tried Red-Kote and found it did not seal the above mentioned pin holes. I have used the Caswell epoxy line and it is good stuff but more dependent on the tank prep. Mine was not so good and it peeled off in a few years.
    John

3. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

No need to be jealous of my tumbling unit.........just some 2x4 lumber I had laying around for the frame, the mount is 1x12 pine, pipe fittings came from the hardware store.

I have also pondered the idea of the vinegar soak; how long did you let it soak; how effective was it?

My desire is to get the inside of this tank as clean as possible before I seal it up. After it's sealed, I'm gonna repaint the tank, side panels, fender, tail piece, new stripes, badges.

4. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    I had tried a vinegar soak on the DL650 tank and saw no effect on the rust or even discoloration of the vinegar drained out after about 2 days of soaking. So that is why I moved on to the electrolysis method.
    John

5. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Thank you!! Good information, especially about the pin holes and time spent; I was going to put it into a plastic tub to capture the slop. This is a very rusty tank.

6. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Today.. the first day after 3 months of parking outside, the bike.. not me, I could push the starterbutton again.
    Inmmediatly she started and ran fine so I took her for a spin also to test some new gear and changes on the bike.
    Outside it was 4-5 dgrs C. so gripheaters, electric bodywarmer were on. The little extra flipscreen worked fine deflecting more wind from the helmet and is a stay.
    USB's worked fine too so music/nav. worked well.
    Allinall; after this flu-shit is gone, but I don't think that the powers that be will allow that anytime soon, perhaps travelling abroad could be an option... hopefully this year... sigh.

7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Spent a couple of hours in garage , sorting spare parts ...got more than I realized lol . I have a spare set of partial carbs , reassembled what I have , missing the slides and a few other items .

8. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

[​IMG]Bought myself one of these

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Jetfixer likes this.
  9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You can find them for sale on the "C" list in most area's. If you do get one of those lifts from HF, also pick up the front wheel chalk and change that out. That pinch thing on the table imho SUCKS! If you pick up a wheel calk you can roll the bike into it and have confidence you will not tip the bike over as you put ratchet straps on it. I also drill holes at the ends of front and back plate so the "S" hooks can slide in. That way the straps are not in your way when you are working on the important things on the bike.

10. Yammaat

Yammaat Active Member

Wow.. telling to have bought a HD, on a Yamahaforum.. :eek:;)

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder likes this.
  11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

What HD, I only see a motorcycle table lift :)

Yammaat likes this.
  12. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Working In garage , decided my yellow seca needed some care , noticed it was a little loud tapping from right cylinder. Before I swapped in this engine went through valves swapped out a shim on the number four exhaust and this is better . Of course it is only 45 degrees rode around neighborhood still a little chilly for me at least, supposed to get to 60 Tuesday so that will be another story lol .

Timbox likes this.
  13. XJ550FirstTimeBuilder

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder Member

I finished puttying my tank, now I just need to sand and prime it and then it's onto paint!! I'm happy with how the painted plastics look on the bike, I didn't know how much they'd pop until I actually did it.

Any recommendations on paint type? I'm partial to Endura paints (No need for a clear coat, insanely durable and the supplier is semi-close to my location), but I'm also wary of what seems like a too-good-to-be-true paint.

Attached Files:

14. Rubodee83

Rubodee83 Member

Will do k-moe

k-moe likes this.
  15. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Carbs are rebuilt. Adjusted the float heights to 17mm after double checking the service manual and watching Mezzmo's video on how to do it. The floats were all around 10mm initially so we'll see how she runs when I get everything back together. Need to check the valve shims next. Slowly checking things off of my list. Very slowly.

16. Steve Otto

Steve Otto New Member

Got the 82 Seca out for the first ride of the season. Had an oil leak at the filter housing and some seepage from the freshly rebuilt petcock. I had ordered a Fram ch6003(since they come with gaskets) and realized it was leaking because the large o-ring for the housing was not protruding past its recess, so no seal. I ended up turning the housing down ~.050' on my lathe and it solved the problem. I know I could have just got a thicker o-ring, but this was faster and I can just keep ordering Fram filters once a year and not worry about inconsistencies in the future. My petcock needed some new screws on the diaphragm side because the old stock ones didn't really fit anymore... I blame it on time. Four oversize machine screws= problem solved.
    Now if can just figure out what that annoying high pitched whirring sound is coming from the cluster over 3k rpm (not speedo), I'll be golden...

k-moe likes this.
  17. Steve Otto

Steve Otto New Member

This mayn't be the answer you're looking for, but I did my 82 Seca in single stage oil based enamel tractor paint and a $12 Harbor Freight paint gun. A quart of paint, mineral spirits and hardener did the all my parts and didn't cost me more than about $35 total. they sell it at ACE hardware and Tractor Supply Co.. I think ACE may be able to mix custom colors too. Just remember, prep is EVERYTHNG!

18. XJ550FirstTimeBuilder

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder Member

I'm actually having the same problem with my filter housing leaking oil, and sure enough I'm also running the Fram ch6003 filter. They're the cheapest and readily available at canadian tire, but I haven't yet checked the filter to see why it's leaking. Now I know what I need to do. Thank you.

As for your cluster whine, you could need to grease your tachometer assembly. I forget what it's called, but the rotating magnet at the back of it could just need a good cleaning/regrease. That's all I can think of at the moment, unless it's a problem with a bulb and your electrical system, but I'm not sure how likely that is.

19. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

got up at 4 am watched the weather report called out of work for a MHD . got the bikes ready and went riding for the first time this year.
    still have 8 inches of snow.

20. Steve Otto

Steve Otto New Member

Thanks for the heads up on greasing that. I kept thinking it was something in the motor but grabbed the cluster and it changed the pitch completely. I’ll pull it apart this weekend and see whats up.