1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Beginner restoration of a 82 XJ550 Maxim

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Mancub, Mar 2, 2021.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

And don’t pull the boots out completely. Heat them to soften them and just push them backward into the airbox, but stopping at the last shoulder

k-moe likes this.
  2. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

With the carbs removed it is a good time to tighten the cam chain. Easy access to the adjuster.

k-moe likes this.
  3. Mancub

Mancub Member

Timbox Can you see that picture above? The outside looks good and I don't see rust anywhere, but the inside looks like it's peeling the sealer. As I mentioned above I'd love suggestions or how to videos if you have them.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

5. Mancub

Mancub Member

Anyone have a link to a good Carb rebuild kit? I could see in building them out there might be some leaks. I figure that while I have it apart I should just replace the gaskets, needs, jets, etc.

or would people advise something different?

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

k-moe and hogfiddles like this.
  7. hogfiddles

Yup, From Len. I do not use ANY other kits.

dfox

cgutz and k-moe like this.
  8. Mancub

Mancub Member

Got the tank pulled off and planning to do a fish tank pebble roll around plus acetone or vinegar wash out?

Have the Carb in pieces and thinking of doing a vinegar boil for cleaning all the metal bits and pieces?

Just like checking in with the pros as I go. I noticed my carb didn’t have any of the little rubber plugs for the jet. Are those needed or am I good?

9. XJ550H

our carbs have no rubber plug on the jets thats a suziki thing.

k-moe likes this.
  10. Mancub

Mancub Member

Good to know!
    Does my plan for the tank and carbs sound good?

11. hogfiddles

Do whatever works to get the tank cleaned. Get as much rust out dry. Then vacuum, compressed air/ etc.......then see what it looks like. If it’s clean but rust ‘dust’, then give a wash with phosphoric acid (Ospho)to kill, neutralize, and ‘pickle’ the metal. No more problem. If the rust is flaky, then nuts, bolts, electrolysis, vinegar, etc.......

carbs- yup, break it down and clean EVERYTHING, and do a complete deluxe rebuild kit from Len on it. if you have trouble or get scared, I do offer rebuild services and you can contact me privately for details.

Dave Fox

cgutz and k-moe like this.
  12. Mancub

Mancub Member

Well here is an update. I've had fun putting hours in here and there taking apart the carb, cleaning it, starting to reassemble. The tank is another story, I tried vinegar soaking with rocks in it shaking around, and it wasn't really working... so I was thrilled when I called a local radiator shop and they said they could clean it for me (and remove the rocks, hey nobody said how hard it is to get that out! Impossible with the raised lip around the gas hole) Anyways, I had them take it and just got the call that when they dipped it and got the paint off they started to see that it actually was rusting out and in bad shape... holes, sealer pulling off because rust from behind, etc etc. Haven't seen it yet but it's probably trash.

Sooo looks like I need to get a new tank!? What do you all suggest? Im hoping to convert the bike into a cafe racer style. Just need a tank that will fit the frame and such, doesn't have to be painted, hopefully I can find one for a decent price? Thoughts?

13. XJ550H

some kawasaki tanks fit i will see if i can find the info look good on the cafe style

14. Mancub

Mancub Member

Yeah I'm just new to all this so honestly I don't care what tank it is, I'd just like it to be able to ideally bolt right on and fit without me having to do a bunch of modifications or metal work that I'm not familiar with. When I get the tank back later I'll send some pictures, I don't know if the tanks are salvageable or not and what my options are there.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  15. Mancub

Mancub Member

Get a load of this. Talk about a nightmare. So turns out the dip didn't dissolve or take care of the liner peeling inside, oh well. Somehow and someway they destroyed the tank, check this out. I guess it got "pressurized" when trying to clean it out? uuhuh

So I think I'll have to get a new tanko_O Please point me towards replacements, options, something. Save a poor beginner with terrible terrible luck in this case haha

Is there a special forum for really sad stories and crazy things? This belongs there.

Attached Files:

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You can post you need a tank in the "wanted" section or look for one on the "For sale" forum. Lots of members sell or part out bikes here. I am sure one will PM you soon. In the mean time is you have to buy an AUX tank to get the bike running and do the tuning it will be worth it. Something like this but does not have to be this one...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937761823...MIrJ2V9vzN7wIVYj2tBh2OIgMTEAQYAyABEgLuDPD_BwE

17. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

What the hell did they do to your tank?
    I'm not seeing any rust perforations. Why was it lined?

Huntchuks likes this.
  18. Mancub

Mancub Member

I'm wondering the same thing. The inside had some sealer or something thick that didn't dissolve or come off in the dip. Then I guess somehow in trying to get chunks out they... pressurized it and exploded it!? Very very strange situation.

19. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

I hope you didn't pay for that.

k-moe likes this.
  20. Mancub

Mancub Member

@XJ550H You mentioned some other tanks that fit? What ones? I'm not attached to doing an XJ550 tank if there are others that will fit easily