1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My attempt at a rigid bobber XJ

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by QuarterHorse, Feb 23, 2009.

1. QuarterHorse

QuarterHorse Member

Most jap bikes are the same, so any speedo from a jap bike SHOULD work or be close enough. Hope that helps Sal

I really appreciate the kind words fellas. It makes me feel like I did it right, and right on the cheap!

I'm going to be doing an XS here before too long. My budget is to get it done for under $4000.00 instead of less than $1500.00 like I did the XJ. I'll keep ya'all posted.

2. knukboy

knukboy New Member

Hey
    just curious how many miles have you put on the bike since you finished it and are there any issues with the driveshaft being rigid and no flex
    cheers

3. SAL79

SAL79 Member

QH, I see you ran your tail lights and signals under the same filament and use a 12v diode to get that done. Is there any way you can explain that process to me or maybe some type of diagram on how you got that done?

4. Decapitated_Toy

Decapitated_Toy Member

amazing build man..... i wish you many sunny days and no police!

5. QuarterHorse

QuarterHorse Member

knucboy - 360 miles and no issues with the drive shaft.

sal79 - The diode keeps power from backfeeding. So you power the high filliments via the brake switch and the turn signal switch but put the diode in between where they're wired in so when you hit your turn signal they don't both light up. You'll obviously need to do it to both sides.

Thanks for the kind words fellas, so far no cops, but the carbs are comming off again for some tweaking.

6. spiderman3k

spiderman3k New Member

congrat is a nice sick bike.. i just wonder the engine u just painted and how what prep did u used.. and the bolt kit where did u get it from
    thxz in advance

7. QuarterHorse

QuarterHorse Member

I used low gloss engine paint and prepped with brake clean, letting dry, and painting. Next time after I let the brake clean dry I'll use Prepsol and go over it all. The bolt kit was a generic one on Ebay that I had to add to from getting fasteners from Fastenal.

Thanks for the compliments.

8. 650Rigid

650Rigid Member

Dude, you're making me want to change the headlight on mine, BIGTIME!

9. QuarterHorse

QuarterHorse Member

Ha thanks, it's a like it or love it deal. Most people I talk to like it, a few don't. That's the nice thing about doing your own thing, trying something different.

10. SAL79

SAL79 Member

Thanks for some of the advice on the speedo and questions I asked you in the past. I finally got finished with mine.

11. marceau

marceau New Member

carb jetting

hey i was wondering what kind of jetting have you uses on your bike when you put 4 littles air filters instead of the air box thanks marc

12. RRCS

RRCS Member

this thing is pretty bad ass... really dig the rear fender,strut ,sissy bar deal. the headlight is looking pretty sweet... excuse me for not reading 10 pages or so, but what did you do with all the wiring from original head light bucket. its not in that leather bag im seein is it?

13. interstatejoe

interstatejoe Member

He rewired it and removed anything that isn't needed to make it go. There's a link to the wiring diagram in the thread or do a forum search for minimal wiring diagram.

14. Massimo33

Massimo33 Member

Man, that is one sweet looking ride! Great job. It's very inspiring!

15. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

sick bike man! i put this in my "to read" list a while ago nd just got around to reading through the whole thing. great job!! hella clean!