1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My attempt at a rigid bobber XJ

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by QuarterHorse, Feb 23, 2009.

1. alkasmeltzer

alkasmeltzer Member

Two where you're born, one where there's corn!!!! :twisted:

2. QuarterHorse

QuarterHorse Member

Just got back into town late last night, long day at work so work on the bike was minimal. Got the SS bolts in, well what I recieved. My "kit" I got was a little incomplete, so I'm going to see if I can get a few individuals so I can finish the other side and the valve cover. Also got my pod filters.

[​IMG]

I'll get over tomorrow and hopefully get the majority of the fab done, and what I don't I can finish up by Sat night and get ready for paint!!!!!

3. Amoney

Amoney New Member

Lookin good Quarterhorse. I like the contrast of the stainless bolt kit. good call.

4. Amoney

Amoney New Member

One more thing... where did you get the stainless bolt kit from?

5. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

save yourself the heartache and get some carb kits pull apart them cabrs and clean the hecl out of them. bench sync and have them ready to roll. It is up to you but polished carb bodies(or soda blasted) would really look nice on there too but that is alot of meticulous work.

The project is looking very nice I look forward to seeing the finished product. I dont' have the heart to tear apart my Xj even tho I like the looks of the bobbers.

6. QuarterHorse

QuarterHorse Member

Thanks for the suggestion, this isn't my first go around and had already planned on tearing the carbs apart, bench syncing, then syncing on the bike. I'm leaving the vaccum caps alone for the moment as I'm not sure what I'm going to do with 'em. I'll ride it a season just to get a feel for what color would go best. I didn't get any work done on it this weekend but will be over there tomorrow. I hope to get the fab work done by mid-week so I can tear it all down for paint by the weekend.

7. P2Fabrication

P2Fabrication Member

just did my carbs i bought a micro drill bit kit and went through all the jets and blew them out with carb cleaner and air put them back on its runs awsome now

8. dqnjuan

dqnjuan Member

glad its running good, where did you get the micro drill bits at?

9. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

And what sizes?

10. P2Fabrication

P2Fabrication Member

quarterhorse not to thread jack you ill check the sizes tommoro when i get to work and they are blue-point got them from my snap-on dealer

11. Amoney

Amoney New Member

Does Your snap-on guy sell KY? In my opinion they all should. its highway robbery.. haha.

12. QuarterHorse

QuarterHorse Member

No worries on the thread jacking haha. I'm curious too.

Got my tail lights in today.
    [​IMG]

Spent WAY more time than I thought fabbing the seat mounts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The ban saw took a dump so I'm having my dad fab up the plate mount and key switch mount out of some templates that I have to drop off in the morning. I'm also having a friend of mine take my sissy bar measurments to work with him and we'll get that bent up. Getting closer!!!!

13. QuarterHorse

QuarterHorse Member

Well I got my license plate mount done, sissy bar is almost done, and the key mount (forgot to take a pic) is done. The key now resides under the seat facing the r/h side of the bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sissy bar has a date with the torch and press at a friends work tomorrow and then I think the fab work is complete once I fill the fender holes, mount the tabs on the sissy bar, and fill the sides of the tank with a few small details to go.

14. P2Fabrication

P2Fabrication Member

bikes looking great just got started stripping my wiring harness not much fun i wanna pull my hair out almost done soon paint cant wait to see this thing done :)

15. QuarterHorse

QuarterHorse Member

I start tear down tomorrow and grinding, I'm not looking forward to it.

Well here's where my key switch now resides.
    [​IMG]

Here's the rough in part, all the fab is done. Now I have some body work and chassis grinding to do, like all my welds and some brackets etc... I'm liking the small headlight I ordered in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. blisteredbrains

blisteredbrains Member

where can one acquire that small headlight? Fleabay? link please?

17. QuarterHorse

QuarterHorse Member

Yeah it was Demon Cycle's store on ebay.

18. Bugeater

Bugeater Member

Bike looks great man. I am just starting the strip down on my 82 XJ650 J and stoked. If you dont mind me askin what did you use for pods and did you have to rejet? Did you have a wireing diagram?

This is the first bike I have ever chopped so I am sure I am in for a few head aches but if you have any tips on the welding (do's and Dont's) or any good advice I would love to hear it.

Love what all you guys are doin to these beasts (You, Crath, Eflat, ect)
    Keep it comin.

Bugz

19. QuarterHorse

QuarterHorse Member

Bugeater - This was my first bike chop too. I have not had the bike running yet with the pods. As far as they go I just got the 52mm pods off of Ebay. I've seen stock jetting and one size up suggested. We'll see how it runs with stock jets and I'll go from there. As far as tips for welding, just good clean surfaces, measure twice, cut once, and make sure it's where you want after you tack it in place.

I got the bike torn down ready for grinding and paint. Can't wait to get this thing on the road! The weather is starting to get nice.
    [​IMG]

20. Bugeater

Bugeater Member

Just tuned my carbs up to snuff (thanx to Wiz) and got everything running pretty. So now its time to start stripping and getting ready to chop. I figured I would get her running nice and smooth before I ripped her apart!!

Have you started the rewire on it yet? I have seen a few wireing diagrams but that s@#t is a different language to me!!

Looks great though man I can't wait to see it all come together. Its gonna be a Beaut.

Bugz