1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 XJ650 Build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by perryfager81, Apr 13, 2010.

1. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

Waite a minute. I used Marine Clean, just cheked in the garage. I still have the bottle of Metal Ready. I think I did it right then. I marine cleaned my tank and a friends yesterday. but they still rusted a bit more. Must have inhaled some vapors or something cuz I think i'm loosing it......

2. Swissjon

Swissjon Member

Lol.

You tank probably rusted because you exposed fresh metal to the atmosphere, same happensif you dip a copper coin in coke, it claens it, but then it tarnishes very quick. If you had used Metal Ready, it would be worse. I really think you should use a sealant on it.

3. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

I'm half tempted to put a liner in it.... Although I've been running it with chunks of rust, a pannel clip and a washer in there; so far the inline fuel filter has filtered out all the rust. We'll see how it goes.

I patched the holes in the tank just now. I used the POR-15 liner and the cloth it came with. So hopefully in 4 days it will have cured and sealed my tank.... fingers crossed. Its going to be a long 4 days with no riding.......

Heres a before shot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 perfect rust holes
    [​IMG]

After with the patch
    [​IMG]