1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 XJ650 Build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by perryfager81, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Maan

Maan Member

Could be as easy as switching the spark plug wires, 1-4 to 2-3 Cylinders and vice versa.

2. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

It's ALIVE......mmmuuuuhahahahaha....

After cleaning the carbs again, I found the needles were sticking and one had come loose. Sorted the needles out and put the parts in that came with the rebuild kit. And eventually figured out the correct pin out for the CDI box using an 81' Seca pickup coil and it starts instantly. Almost like a new bike, there's no labor in the turning over, just bam running.

Ideling is a whole other story, to keep it running I have to play with the choke, if its max choked it reves all the way up and a little more than half it starts to sputter and dies. Also it spits back and chugs every few seconds or so. Not to sure what is causing this issue. Anyone have any ideas? I ran it open carb, no airbox or filter on it right now. I have pods I'm planning on installing but havn't put them on yet. Still deliberating on the 7th layer of hell....

I'll get a video of what the engine sounds like tomorrow.

Perry

3. macksimman

macksimman Member

Excellent job of bringing her back to life. It gives you a good feeling of accomplishment. Oh and congrats

4. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

5. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

Update

My fuse box arrived in the mail today. Got it installed just now. I also got the toggle switch and RFID box for the ignition. I'll install them later today or tomorrow. I havn't quite figured out where I want everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

Well, I was trying to hook up the RFID box and must have shorted it out or something. Good thing it was only 9 bucks. New one is on its way as well as some cables, seat and stuff. The good news is that the blue LED toggle switch I got to replace the ignition works.

7. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

Made a lot of progress this weekend. Welded a plate in place for the Ammo Can Electrical Box, figured a way to mount the solo seat got some wireing sorted.

Its about 85% finished right now. I took it out for a test ride and it spat up a bunch of oil, chocked and stalled at low rpm's. Looking foward to tuneing it.

I think this is all that's left:
    Needs carb tune, oil, tires, cables, handlebars, speedometer, rear fender, tail light, blinkers, electronics to fit in ammo can, oil not to shoot out the tranny vent, brake pads/bleed the brakes again, gas tank liner, 4 into 1 exhaust and finally matt black paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    First time welding so its not the greatest but it works......

[​IMG]
    Ugly as sin, but functional.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jonrms

jonrms Member

LOL Rock hard...

its great to see action photos...

I love it that these bikes you can do just about anything and or give it a go kinda attitude... well done for your welding.. although I wont comment.. I think you did a fantastic job for your first go!!! well done!

9. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

wow I've been busy on my bike. It's like 90% finished right now. I'm walking about a week or so ahead of schedual so its been full throttle to get the bike street ready, no more mods for the time. I need to get out riding. I've been playing the carbs and doing some tuneing. I put everything togeather and found that cylinder 3 wasn't working (the pipe was colder than the others) pulled the carbs and cleaned it out again. Thats what I get for not running an inline fuel filter when theres flakes of rust in the tank. I got an inline fuel filter now the take liner chemical stuff will be here on wed as well as some new tires. :) I benched synced the carbs twice using this artical as a guide line. http://xj650.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-t ... carbs.html
    Turns out it helps if both paperclips are have the same dementions...... anyway.... Today when I was working on it cylinder 1 wasn't fireing. Turns out the plug was just fauled a little carb cleaner and a wire brush and I'm running on all 4 now. I turned the idle screw out a little and it idels perfectly and is very responsive when the throttle is turned. I can not belive how much power this bike has for its size. It want's to do a wheelie while shifting into second gear. Un-real. I did an oil change last friday with parts from www.partsnmore.com the only oil that is left is in the forks. I got seals but dust boots have been a little harder to get (out of stock on e-bay) I have sourced a new pair and hopefully will be here by the weekend. I re-attached all the orginal rear fender and lights; supprisenly everything still works.

I went for my first long road test tonight, rode for almost an hour and didn't get stuck or break down. Success!

The to do list is getting much shorter:
    Bars, exhaust, forward controls, make all the wireing fit in .30 cal ammo can, front forks, speedo that works, loose the tach, replace lights with led one's, replace mirror with more stylish one, motorcycle license and title for bike. ;-)

I'll have some more detailed pix in a few days. once I do the tank and get new tires.

BTW: PODS and stock jets with stock exhaust work PERFECTLY!! (clean then clean again, bench sync, and tune with idle screw) no poping anymore after I tightened all the bolts on the exhaust and replaced the vacume tube.

Test ride around the block
    [​IMG]

The obligatory "I'm cool standing next to my bike" picture. ;-p
    [​IMG]

10. Swissjon

Swissjon Member

I'm impressed.. Are you going to put side panels on or leave the can in full view?

11. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

I only have 1 of the side panels, I'm was planning on leaving them off anyway. I'm going to add 81mm Mortor cans on the side as saddle bags. They will match the .30 cal can and hopefully will look good.

12. Swissjon

Swissjon Member

Yeah.. Should do.. Leads to an idea of camo coloured bike to complete the theme??

13. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

sounds like a pretty cool and unique idea. Do you have any teaser pics of the mortar cans or .30 cal can?

14. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Nice, I am in the proccess of building my xj650. I am pretty much doing the same thing with the ammo boxes. I have a few laying around. I am going to a minimum on wiring, and was going to do three ammo boxes. Dose a battery fit inside that box in the center? Also I was considering some thing kinda odd. My saddlebag ammo boxes were going to be removable, and are going to house my brake lights on the back of the boxes. I am thinking of doing this just not sure yet. I was going to run the brake lights with plugs coming out of the boxes some where so I can unplug them and remove them. I am just trying to figure out sizes. I have the bigger boxes I am not sure if my battery will fit in the smaller onse but It looks as though you have a smaller box that works.

15. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

Progress today. I managed to fit all the exectric's into the ammo can and cleaned the bike up a bit. The new tires were susposto be ready this afternoon but they wern't, so much for a morning ride tomorrow. Anyway in an effort to get a title for the bike I managed to get an 83' XJ650 with a Yics engine 17,000 something miles for $150. The engine had been sitting in a yard for about a year. Turns out I can turn it over with a wrench and plugs in. Seems to be good. I put it back to togeather and its just about all there. Might make this one stock or a hard tail or something. Here are a few pictures of the ammo can and how it sits today. Also, I got POR-15 tank liner to take care of my rust issues. I lined the black tank took about 2 hours or so came out pretty good.

I am sooo ready to put the tools down and start riding.

Right side.
    [​IMG]

Left side.
    [​IMG]

Waiting for tires. The stock fender will be replaced in a few weeks. Need to get some riding in first.
    [​IMG]

Came with 2 boxes of stuff..
    [​IMG]'

Shiney...
    [​IMG]

All put back togeather again
    [​IMG]

16. Swissjon

Swissjon Member

I like that seat. You need to put a cover on that box or it'll fill with water in rain and rust. Or doesn't it rain where you are?

17. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

haha.. it rains like 2 or 3 times a year in vegas... Got tires on the bike gone riding for the rest of the day. :)

18. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

Rode about 250 miles today, no break downs = Awesome! That bike is realiable!

19. xtrmbldr911

xtrmbldr911 Member

nice to see another fellow xj owner here in vegas :)

20. perryfager81

perryfager81 Member

xtrmbldr911 for sure! We should get togeather and ride sometime