1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New here & new '80 Maxim, new to me :^)

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Rifkinn, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Rifkinn

Rifkinn New Member

My boss has this sitting in her garage and I'm going to be picking it up in a week or 2 for $300 bucks. Its good points is that it is complete, lol, and has almost new tires. The bad is that is has a fuel leak, you can see the dirty area in the last pic, and I am sure that the tank and carbs need some good cleaning. It has been sitting for a while but I am going to have some fun (hopefully) getting it up and running.
    I'm glad this site is here for ppl with old bikes like this.

Attached Files:

2. Great_Buffalo

Great_Buffalo Member

Looks good from my house. Pick it up spend some time and then ride off into the sunset.
    There's lots of info and adcice to be found in these pages.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
    The Buff

3. JimH

JimH New Member

Looks like a great place to start! Mine was the same story, and I've enjoyed many miles on her. Look at my gallery to see how it turned out for me. Enjoy!!!!

4. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

A great find for the price, especially with the recent tires. Looks like it sat for some time and a carb overflowed. Cosmetic repairs and clean up are easy. Only thing I see missing is the right side cover and one tank emblem.

Congrats & Welcome!

5. Brtino

Brtino New Member

Good find, great price.

Welcome to the site.

6. Rifkinn

Rifkinn New Member

thanks all.
    She does say that the right cover should be in the garage somewhere and I think there is a small dent where that left emblem would go but I can live without them I think, :)
    I'm just hoping it doesn't take to much to get it running, at least for a few months. I will try tearing into it this winter but would like to enjoy it some before then :D

7. Altus

Altus Active Member

Yup - looks like you got yourself a sweet deal there.
    That fuel leak looks minor - probably just a leaking float bowl gasket from the looks of that picture.

You'll be on the road smiling in no time!

8. flash1259

flash1259 Member

seems the MISSING right side covers for these maxims is a bad disease. I know of 3 others who are looking for the right side cover good luck.

9. Rifkinn

Rifkinn New Member

Well, she kept trying to tell me it was an 81 or 82 (not lying or anything, just a lack of memory there :) ). Its the older style vin, 4H7-008982, and from the little I've already learned that this is an '80 number.
    I've also found out that it hasn't been licensed since 2002, presumably not run since at least then also. Anything I really need to look at with this bike when I get it home?

10. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Gotta clean them carbs it looks like. Once you get them off you might want to do a compression check if you have a gauge. If you have some major differences(14psi or more) between cylinders while you have the tank/carbs off you could pull the valve cover and check valve clearances.

Check those tires closely as after sitting for 6 years they may be starting to crack a bit.

11. Rifkinn

Rifkinn New Member

Well, I finally got over there to get my hands on it. Can't get it home yet, waiting for my friends to get their trailer roadworthy, but I did bring one piece of it home with me. The Carbs! Lol, my roommate cant believe I did that but I am going to get those things cleaned out asap (the rubber on either side of the carbs looked untouched by time). The gas is more of a sludge when some of it spilled out, nasty stuff. The right cover was there so I don't have to look for that. The only part that needs replacing is the front left turn stalk and cover, it is now oval but the bulb still works, hehe. And the tires look like they are in awesome shape for sitting for a long time, no cracks anywhere. I looked in the tank and I don't even think that I need to clean in there, just drain some old gas. It doesn't look as old as what came out of the carbs, I think they added some when they tried getting it to start. I was pleased to see the petcock didn't let one drop drain out (hoping it isn't 100% blocked). Some previous owner did put in blade fuses but they did a real crappy job (imho). Looks like they just cut the old wires and hooked them directly to the blades and electrical tape is holding them in. That is something I will address after the carbs.
    It looks like it should take a decent shine after all this time but the chrome does have some generous pitting. At least it isn't a rusted hulk.
    I have to say that this forum really has given me the confidence to do all that i need to do to get her back on the road. If you all weren't available to get help from I don't think I would have even dared to take the carbs off. The hardest 2 parts were unhooking the end of the throttle cable (gonna need a new one, cable is good but the sheath is cracked badly) and getting the clutch cable out of its "holder" that is on the carb assembly.

12. tyler93

tyler93 Member

Talk about of score im getting sad i got screwed. paid 350 for mine only to find out it was cooked.. that things awsome..

Anyone have a free bike in mass or new hampshire i could have?

13. schooter

schooter Active Member

tyler.... you paid 350 for it, it wasn't put tohether, auugggh, if it was good and didnt need nothin.... cool, but is the engine shot? cuz thats too bad, i was really hoping u would have gotten it put back together. id go over to whoever u bought it from and kick them in their turd slicer

14. macksimman

macksimman Member

I didn't know that there were non-yics maxims

15. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Nice Find,
    Give it the once over and a good scrubbing and it will look real nice. Plan on soaking those carbs for awhile I bet they are full of brown goo.

Good Luck

16. BillB

BillB Active Member

Good find, I paid $1000 for mine. 40 over bluebook.
    [​IMG]

17. macros10

macros10 Member

Yeah, i paid 1350 for mine, so I almost feel obligated to make it cherry, lol! Now I'm eyeballing a 81 650 max for 300 obo, lol, no title so I'm trying to figure out if the parts would help me or be worth selling if it's not trashed.

18. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Holy necro batman lol

19. Rifkinn

Rifkinn New Member

I know, lol.
    What is funny is that the person I was getting it from ended up letting someone else buy it and I lost out.

I did finally find another bike and have had it for a short time :)
    Here is my post on my new baby, an '82 750 Seca
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=29689.html