1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wolf Bobber Build (pics)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by CaptainTrap, Nov 4, 2010.

1. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

Ok turns out the no electric was in fact dead battery. After charging it back up i still cant seem to get it to start. This bike has been running fine for several months. The only thing is low oil level but that wouldnt prevent the bike from starting would it?

2. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

hey guys i need some help as usual. i still have not been able to get my bike started. After giving an oil change i found this stuck on my magnetic oil drain plug catch...

[​IMG]

it is the sheered off head of a hex bolt....after speaking to a friend who is unfamiliar with our bikes he seems to think that it is the bolt that connects the joints of the piston arm. can anyone confirm this? maybe chacal the xj parts god can shine some light on this mystery bolt head?

thanks

3. jonnymaritime

jonnymaritime Member

I've had soo many problems to work around .Some no brainers, sometimes soo simple I felt Retarded. And sometimes Old bike parts just break.

The hex looks stripped, as if it were Super torqued and snapped off . There are some(8) holding the cam shafts. But it would have to find its way across the head into the cam chain area and fall down into the gear box. That is bad .
    I would start by removing the head gasket (buy a new gasket before you do and some permatex grey gasket maker. Remove the valve cover and sneak a peak. If so , you will have to remove the engine . Undo the camshaft holder to get to the stem that is standing. heat up the area around the stem, put a few drops of wax on the threaded area, and try to unscrew it with vise grips. There are a few very important cautious steps to do so you do not scrap the valves..get a good manual you could fix it in a half of a day.
    Ps Great job on the bike.

Get a good manual . they are NOT all the same mine sucks.

4. blitchfield2

blitchfield2 New Member

Hope this thread's not dead to much good stuff to let it end. First I gotta take a minute and say your bike looks great. Dig those bars and the stance. Good call keeping the stock tank too. Didn't see if you had stretched the rear but top notch job so far, setting the bar high.
    If you don't mind I've got to know how much did the hardtail end up costing you and is it holding up well? If your buddy's up for more welding I'd like to get in touch with him regarding my 82 xj650 and poss another bike project.

5. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

ok guys i am sorry for the lack of attention to this thread. I have some great news. The bobber lives! I brought it back down to stratford and had my buddy look at it. as soon as we got it off the truck he fired it up and it started right away! i couldnt believe it. i let sit for a few weeks thinking it was dead. low and behold what i think happened was during and oil change from a past owner the magnetic oil drain plug catch must have picked up the hex bolt head off the ground. There is no way the engine is not running at full capacity as it is too strong and sound.

compression test revealed 124 across all four carbs. the carbs have been cleaned jetted and synced.

the only thing left is to put on new shorty levers and cut down the drag bars an inch or so per side.

here are some recent pics! thank you for the comments guys keep them up!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

how do you check compression on a carb? I'm confused. Compression is tested on a spark plug hole.

7. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

I meant cylinder, sorry

8. skillet

skillet Active Member

GLAD it's running so well!!!

skillet
    btw still like that seat...

9. Alysiak00

Alysiak00 Member

so let me get this straight it just WOULDN'T start for a few weeks then your buddy tries it and has the magic touch? THATS AWESOME lol

what all did you do to get her running correctly. also, would you consider it reliable now?

10. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

Well that night i had trouble and it died on me. It was very low on oil and after towing it home and giving it an oil change i found the sheered bolt head and feared for the worst so it sat for a few weeks until i could get it down to his place. Then it fired right up.

I ordered tye dynojet stage 3 kit and installed the largest jets during which we cleaned the carbs. Then we synced the carbs and put it back together. Right now i have a custom 4 into 2 exhaust with 2 inch pipes and harley sportster baffels with packing, 4 pods, the stage 3 jets.

The bike runs strong with no real dead spots. It idles fine and yes it is very reliable. I have been riding it daily all summer with no problems sometimes for 2-3hr weekend rides.

The biggest issue is that due to the custom angle of the gas tank about 1/4 of the tank is unusable as the gas is below the petcock. But i get around 50mpg running 86. And avoiding potholes and bumps as they can ber very jarring

Maybe i just got lucky with this engine because i hear alot of horror storys about pods and the cv carbs.

11. Alysiak00

Alysiak00 Member

well i can surely say thats awesome. Where did you get your stage 3 kit (and price if you dont mind). im building a 550 and although my tank isn't quite as raked it will still be a bit more angled due to the addition of slammer shocks.

I plan on getting mine together before the snow hits so i can atleast get oil back into the motor and sloshed around a bit. My bike was initially for commuting to school and back because of the good gas mileage but apparently i couldn't resist chopping it lol

12. junkmn

junkmn Member

That bike is cool. I like a longer rear fender, but yours is cool.