1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wolf Bobber Build (pics)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by CaptainTrap, Nov 4, 2010.

1. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

How can it e running rich with pod filters and stock exhaust? I think its oil but power is good so maybe not a leaky head gasket

2. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

All bikes are differnt. No two are alike as for tuning them it seems. My bike is very happy with open pods, and LONG straight pipes. It loves the stock jets.

3. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Couple things come to mind. 1. As Cmccully said all bikes are different. 2. Are you sure they're stock jets to start with? Could have been drilled out even if the numbers match. 3. you alititude and weather conditions have an effect on your mix as well.

Either way I'd get a compression reading and verify a healthy motor before I go chasing my tail on tuning it up.

4. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

i just ran a compression test but im not sure about the accuracy of the autozone kit i rented. here are the numbers... 1-4 respectively 100 95 60 and 96.

I just took the bike out for a ride again and she was running pretty good. although a bit up a drop off at about 50mph no stalling tho.

also, what does it mean when the bike runs fine and all electrical works but when i shut her off it wont crank? all lights on but nothing starter wise. when i connect my jumper box the lights get brighter and it starts right up.

thanks. hardtail coming this friday, stay tuned for pics.

5. iwingameover

I would be looking for a motor before I hardtail it.

Those numbers are all low (if the gauge was good) and not very close to each other, even if the gauge was bad. That 60 is very concerning. It will never tune right and is certainly running at less than optimum perfromance. The 60 cylinder may even drop out from time to time.

These motors are supposed to be around or above 140 psi (IIRC) depending on altilitude and temp.

Mine did 145+/- across all 4 on an autozone gauge.

6. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

ok i have some updates, first of all what is the proper way to perform a compression test? i read on a thread here that you have to open the throttle all the way while the psi reader is attached. It was my understanding that you simply attach the gauge, crank it for at least 3 cycles and repeat at least 3 times and take the highest reading, no throttle involved.

now after a few rides all four plugs are white indicating a lean ratio (expected with pods installed and stock exhaust).

One more clue, when i pull the boot off from the top of the plug there is black soot on the white insulator on the plug. where is this black soot coming from and why?

Also, when i screw in the threaded part of the compression reader into the plug threads it is loose, it threads on fine but even when its all the way tight i can still wiggle the connection. this leads me to believe that this is the wrong adapter for my bike, the autozone compression tester only came with this one fitting. I believe this is why my readings are so low. if its the wrong connector and not forming a tight seal i can be losing pressure through this location.

iwingameover thank you for your support.

7. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

i am still planning on going ahead with the hardtail tomorrow. my guy is only charging 40 bucks an hour and wants me to be there to help and get welding lessons while im there. its too sweet of a deal to pass up. I figure i can find a parts engine if the engine truly is bad (which i do not believe it is).

Also, i gave her a badly needed oil change today with new filter. The old oil was so dark and thick. I will give her another one after a few hundred miles.

8. iwingameover

proper compression test:

Get a gauge that fits. I bought mine from Advance, came with 3 fittings, hose and gauge.

Remove all plugs to save some effort on the starter. UNPLUG TCI. Don't want to fry it by having ungrounded leads. (leave it unplugged/removed while you're welding)

Put tester on 1 cylinder, hold throttle wide open, crank until the needle stops going up. Maybe 8 revs. Record number then repeat for each cylinder.

Numbers should be close across all cylinders and the higher the better.

For you plugs are your wires making a good contact onto the top of the plug? Could be arcing and burning part of the boot. Or maybe the boot is crumbling. Maybe new boots are in order.

9. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

I believe they are making good contact, they seem pretty tight on there. it is soot, when i wipe it away it smears. must be arcing. I will buy new ones.

Ill have to locate a better fitting compression tester and retest following your guide. thanks man

one more thing. Its always rough to switch into first from neutral on first start. I have to stomp pretty hard and then i can feel it pop into gear. while standing still the bike shutters when the shifter lever is stomped into first. during riding its not noticeable. do i have to adjust my clutch cable? thanks

10. BillB

BillB Active Member

Id go with the easiest fix first. Turn the mix screws in a little on the black plugs... out on the white plug.
    That looks like black soot not oil.

11. iwingameover

Check you local Advance Auto for the gauge. They don't rent them but I'm sure mine was only about $25-$30. Or sears, or even Harbor Freight if you have one.

Probably a clutch cable adjustment. I won't hurt to start there either way.

12. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

by the looks of the plugs if the compression is better i would say bad plug caps wires ect check them all with an ohm meter . # 1 is probably showing so rich because it doent have a hot spark. replace that plug also and make sure they are all gapped to specs. swap plug wires if you can with the other coming out of that coil see if it clears up. you could just have a bad plug. they dont have the hottest ignition coils in the world thats why the hot ticket is to put dynas on it you know chacal can fix you up with any parts you need.
    the rough going into gear you might need to ajust the clutch but its more likely just because the oil is cold and the clutches are stuck together. if the bike is running lean its really hard on the oil since its trying to dissapate heat changing oil might help. if you have ever had a heavy duty barnett clutch they are a real bugger when they are cold putting in gear soon as they warm up they work great

13. Scizor

Scizor Member

Have you run into any issues with running pod filters instead of the air box? I am putting pods on during my rebuild and could really use some first hand advise. Your bike looks great, hope my build goes that well

14. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

scizor,

yeah it doesnt run the greatest but it is still ridable while you work on it. She wont want to idle without the choke on to enrich the fuel. Also its a good idea to keep the stock exhaust on while you have the pods. the back pressure will aid in keeping the bike running just ok. Also wrap the pods with blue painters tape to cover about 90% of them. This will aid in restricting the air flow while you ride until you can clean and rejet your carbs.

I ride it alot in this set up right now and she starts right up every time and idles around 700-1000rpms with a little choke. I still get alot of pops in the exhaust while reving down or letting off the throttle but this is to be expected while running these pods.

hope that helps.

15. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

UPDATES

For all of those out there who have been following or care about the bobber community here at xj bikes i have some great updates.

I had the hardest time in october finding a welder that was reliable and reasonable. After much effort i found a guy but he kept blowing me off so i let it go. Then one day in class i was bitching to a friend about how i couldnt find a welder and another student approached me and said he had a welder and converted his katana into a street fighter.

Needless to say we became friends and before long i had my bike at his house and we both were working on it. Here are the pics of the process:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is not how i am going to mount the starter relay. it was just a mock up. I have a project box from radio shack that the relay and the fuse box will be mounted inside of.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

ok here are some pics that bring the bike to its current state. I still have to work on the wiring for the blinkers and get the electronics inside the project box and mounted next to the battery. i also have to finish the body work on the rear fender and paint it but for all intents and purposes its done.

enjoy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also i have to fab up an aftermarket exhaust and wrap that with header wrap too. i am also considering selling my spedo and tach assembly so if anyone is interested shoot me a pm with a price including shipping. i have bar end mirrors in the mail and still have to paint the front forks and rear fender. its too cold out not to get anything done. Ill have to bring it back in the dining room to work on the electrical after this semester is over.

thats all the updates i have for now. feel free to give me any suggestions.
    thanks guys. this forum is awesome!

17. skillet

skillet Active Member

IMHO...LOOKIN' GOOD!!!

skillet

18. CaptainTrap

CaptainTrap Member

thanks, my buddy brian did an amazing job. exactly what i was looking for. hes got a great creative ability. we need to find him an old xj to bob now.

19. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Look's great, I like how you mounted the seat and I have to say one of the best hardtail mods I've seen. :twisted:

20. schooter

schooter Active Member

good deal man