1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

fuel and ride :D

2. moellear

moellear Member

on the 550; put new tires back on. installed clean, shiny chain and put the tank on. FIRED her up! and went for a short drive around the yard or so because it don't have license plates yet. then discovered front rotor was hot and caliper piston is sticking. so still got some work to the yellow 550

on the 650; replaced head gasket. replaced cam chain tensioner gasket. took a solid 3 hours or so cleaning & prepping this work yesterday and came to a halt late evening, so just need to get the timing correct and then install the carb rack. hopefully be riding the orange 650 to work by this week sometime? we'll see...

3. fintip

fintip Member

Rebuilt the carbs!

4. moparpogue

moparpogue New Member

Started tearing down the whipping dog and realized the entire fuse box was missing and bypassed. Since I bought both bikes from the same guy, I checked the other bike. Yup.

Oh God, Why?

5. Erman

Erman Member

Finally received new handlebars and RH switches from Wemoto.
    (They spent almost a month waiting at a DHL terminal in Hamburg, Germany)...

Now, the experimentations can begin!

6. Sabre

Sabre Member

Two days ago: Rebuilt the master cylinder.

Today: Rode it to work

7. fintip

fintip Member

BWAHAhahahhaha. Hysterical.

My condolences.

8. HalliB

HalliB New Member

A little different paintjob... + polished the frwrd controls and brake link and painted the pipes :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. fintip

fintip Member

10. buzz81mach

buzz81mach Member

Let's see. Yesterday, dropped my #4 car and broke a float piller. :cry: Today, cried some more and tried to find a way to repair it. Tomorrow, well, I will try and JB Weld it together and pray that it will work, at least until I can get a new body in a couple months.

11. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Replaced broken seat/helmet lock. Removed lock tumblers from new lock and replaced with tumbler from old broken seat/helmet lock. Now I have a functioning seat/helmet lock, and don't have to use two different keys!!!!!

12. Toasterstrudle

Toasterstrudle New Member

First day on this site, and first post!

I tried to figure out why my 83 XJ900R SECA doesn't have much power. I timed it and found out it was WAAAAYYY off! Never messed with the timing before, now i have to track down the culprit. I did discover a threadbare wire on the front upper pick-up though, and have my figers crossed that it can be fixed, it sure would be a bear to find another one :roll: any suggestions on other things if this lead doesn't pan out?

13. Toasterstrudle

I just finally installed another set of carbs after discovering that there was a broken float mount on my 900. I was incredibly lucky to find a whole rack of carbs to replace what I had on ebay! Now I have timing issues :(

14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Toaster,

Please contact me directly......use the 'pm' button at the bottom of each of your posts.

I am the registrar for the XJ900RK Seca Database for USA-delivered 900rk's. So far there's just shy of 60 that have been registered.

I'd like to get your's registered if it is one of the USA-Delivered ones.

There is no cost, no membership fee, or anything like that.

Thanks,

Dave Fox, Registrar - XJ900RK Seca Database (USA-Delivered only)
    Host- Central New York Carb Clinic #6, next June 2013 (date TBA)

15. Erman

Erman Member

16. ned6x4

ned6x4 New Member

Got the day off work yesterday. Went to Secretary of State. Took the cycle endorsement test and passed it! I became a legally licensed motorcycle rider in the state of Michigan. I also changed the oil and thought I charged the battery, oops!

17. Buffalony

Buffalony Member

Congrats Ned6x4

Tried to revive a dry dead battery. Filled with distilled and crossed fingers. Hooked up to the trickle and....will not charge :/ eh. the plates were shot. Going through the charging system now. Alternator has some oil.... Brushes good, resistance across plate @ 4.8 Ohms... Havent found the white ends to the stator yet. Still learning my way around the bike.

18. buzz81mach

buzz81mach Member

Finally got done cleaning the carbs and just got my parts from Chacal. Wow, that was fast shipping. Anyway, I just checked my clearances and found 7 were too tight. Not bad, but now just waiting on new shims. I am about to put the carbs back together. So excited. Hopefully I will be riding in the next couple weeks.

19. Toasterstrudle

Great job Ned6x4!! I live on the west side of Michigan, we have some amazing riding country here! My personal favorite is M-22, it runs from Manistee all the way along the lakeshore to the tip-of-the-mitt:) its a beautiful, winding, hilly trip! Enjoy not looking over your shoulder:)

20. arby

arby New Member

Yesterday - New front tire.
    Today - 100+ mile ride to break it in. Also just received parts and tools from Chacal, so will be fixing various cosmetic issues, plus a new clutch switch.

The new tire fixed almost all of the head shake I was experiencing. Hopefully re-torquing the steering head assembly will fix the little bit remaining. That will probably have to wait till the weekend.