1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

speedometer noise

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by dcesa1, Aug 18, 2012.

1. dcesa1

dcesa1 Member

At about 10 MPH my speedometers starts whinnying, I have lubed up the cable a few times but I think its in the speedometers itself. Does and one know it there is a way to lube the inside or another fix.

2. RookieRider

RookieRider Member

Here is a link from BigFitz....

He tore appart an old speedo so we could see all the parts...
    Carefully read the post.

The speedo of my xs400 was not exactly the same but close enough to be able to give me the guts to open them up... turns out the mechanical parts are the same for my speedo.

This is a good starting point.

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... art=0.html

3. Recoil87

Recoil87 Member

Yea man its your speedo. I bought my bike and it did the exsact same thing...HIgh Pitch Whyining at low speeds...but upon acceleration would go away....I just took off my speedo needed to remove my atari anyways...

4. dcesa1

dcesa1 Member

yeah that is a great instructional piece but I wouldn't necessarily call it a start... how did he get to that point, there are no pieces to unscrew or anything that I can see unless the front glass piece pops off

5. RookieRider

RookieRider Member

here is how it was on my xs400....
    yours probably is a bit different...

You need to open up the headlight, all the wiring gets routed thru here...
    You need to disconnect the plugs that connect to the speedometer...(mine had 2, one illumintates the cluster the other is for the oil,neutral and signals etc...)

Then you disconnect the rpm cable and the speedo cable (they simply unscrew)

Then you unsrew the cluster bracket from the triple tree... (on my bike i have to remove the plastic cover that surrounds the ignition to get the bracket off) not sure if it applies to your bike.

Hopefully if it's not too different than mine you should be able to remove the cluster, bracket and all.

Then you flip it over and there are the screws that allow you to remove the back panel of the cluster.

At that point you should be very close to what you see in the link from Bigfitz....

P.S. here is a link within the original link i provided...

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14948.html

6. maximike

maximike Member

You have an 83, but on my 82, you have to unscrew a couple nuts directly below the Atari. Then, take the headlight out of the bucket, and disconnect about a dozen quick-connectors that lead to the wiring for the instruments, or else you can't remove the Atari all the way from the bike. Then, you can pull the whole thing off, and access the screws on the back to remove the back cover. Then you can unscrew things on the inside to get to the speedo. I'm sure there's a couple little steps in there I'm forgetting, do you have a manual of any kind?

I had this speedo problem, tried taking it apart and re-lubing, but there is a plastic worm gear in there and mine was cracked. replaced it with a junkyard part that isn't an exact match. Hopefully yours just has old lubricant turning to glue, you can clean it up and lube it and see if it quiets down.

7. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Howdy, if you look on the back of your instrument cluster you should see 6 phillips head screws. If you remove them the internals can be accessed. Get some of that canned gas they sell in a computer store and blow out any junk that may be lurking in the "cup". I suspect just doing that may solve your noise issue.

8. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

9. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I picked up a Suzuki - 1981 with only 295 miles and it made the SAME sound.
    Apparently the grease dries out. It's age related, not the miles.

Lubed it with a few drops of synthetic 20W-50

10. CapnRedbeard

CapnRedbeard Member

I experienced the same, but increased with speed and got louder, slowed and stopped when slowing to a crawl at lights or road junctions.

I pulled cable from speedometer and sprayed WD40 lube up from underneath, may save a strip down and stop annoying until winter lay up?

11. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Mine screams too - but i'm just going to wait till winter as well when im bored and want to tinker on my bike, haha

12. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Ididn't "strip-down" anything - - just remove it, put it on a table upsidown, I made a "spinning tool" by squaring a big nail, using my bench grinder, then dribbled some oil while spinning the shaft.
    I lubed 5 speedos in 20 minutes. Do it before something wears !!

13. Rhettb3

Rhettb3 Member

Everyone will probably advise against it...but I just shot some white lithium grease from and aerosol can in there. No problems as far as I could tell...

14. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

I think my issue is with the tach though - as if i disconnect the speedo cable, the noise is still apparent.