1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need Clutch Replacement Advice?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by pb81620, May 8, 2007.

1. pb81620

pb81620 New Member

I've got an '85 XJ700N and I think I need to replace the clutch. I've installed a new cable and should have it adjusted correctly. I've owned the bike since it was new and it's still on the original clutch. It doesn't slip at all, even in 5th gear that I can notice. The hand lever just seems to have too much travel from the hand grip before the clutch begins to engage. I will re-check the upper and lower adjustments.

Is the excess of clutch play an indicator of a worn out clutch with a new cable installed?

Also, if I need to replace the clutch are there any special tools required?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

Check out Rick's guide on clutch adjustment in this thread: Clutch adjustment

IF you replace the clutch you NEED TO USE A GOOD TORQUE WRENCH on the clutch bolts! Replace clutch springs too. No other special tools needed.

3. canaweb

canaweb Member

Kiwi -
    do you mean the main bolts - or the bolts holding the springs? seems that there is hardly any torque placed on the spring bolts....

4. pb81620

pb81620 New Member

Re-checked and re-adjusted cable. Travel is better but I can feel that the plates aren't grabbing like they use to. I think I will begin shopping for a new clutch. No slippage at speed, just not as responsive getting off the start.

5. pb81620

pb81620 New Member

Forgot to mention, all gears including neutral are up and downshifting fine. Even going from neutral to first at a stop, very insignificant jump and absolutely no Red Light creeping.

6. englishsandwich

englishsandwich Member

If you are looking to buy one, check out BikeBandit.com. I have a EBC CK Series Clutch $67.73 and EBC Clutch Springs $8.95 in the mail from BikeBandit.com right now. Those are for my 750, but I would think prices will be similar.
    Hope that helps