1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Maxim-X700 coils

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by smurf667, Mar 5, 2011.

1. smurf667

smurf667 Member

Here's a place for all to get replacement yYamaha coils for the Maxim-X and other bikes, especially for all the people in th UK. They are very good coils, and the cheapest I've found..... I paid £18.95 per coil! I don't think you can get them any cheaper any where.

Ok it's on that auction site, but you won't get cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Ignition-HT-C ... 1885478015

2. Markoragnar

Markoragnar New Member

Thanks for posting these- doyou know if those coils would work for a '85 xj750 Maxim X, my fellow Midlander? I down the road in Staffordshire.

3. smurf667

smurf667 Member

Hi Friend, you're not that far from me at all really. Now, your question, I believe that they are the same for your bike. Just to make sure though, contact the company and ask them, they seem to be a very good company, well they have been with me. They should get back to you very quickly with an answer. Or you could just ask the question on the forums, these guys and girls are VERY knowledgable people about our bikes. Hope that helps you

4. Markoragnar

Markoragnar New Member

Thanks for the advice, mate - every time it rains I lose power so I am going to check the resistance on them and at least it's not the end of the world if they are shot, at least not at those prices...fingers crossed they're compatible but I will check - I'll look out for you on the road- there can't be too many Maxim's out on the A1 !

5. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

They don't ship to North America and dozens of other locations, but it looks like a good source for you European XJowners.

6. smurf667

smurf667 Member

I didn't realise that. What I did do, after Mark contacted me was go to the link that I'd posted. Obviously after all this time, it wasn't showing the information that was really needed, so I'm not sure if you guys actually managed to find the company that I was praising, so I went to my feedback page to try and find who it was.

The company I got them from trades under a couple of names, which are Cardiff Motorcycles and also scooters-and-bikes.

So if it wasn't either of those 2 companies you've checked with, then you've been looking at the wrong people, try them. I've a feeling that you didn't find either of those, especially you Quebecois, as they do ship out of the UK. Tip, if they haven't got postage price to where you are, drop them a message or contact them and they may be able to give you a price to ship to you, I think you'll find that you're destination is not quoted in their shipping costs for the simple reason of not recieving an order or query from that perticular place.

Mark, If you're coils are the 3 ohm wasted spark coils that majority XJ's are, then yes they will fit your bike. The 750 Maxim X is a Canadian import where as my 700 Maxim-X is an American import, and the Americans only got the 700cc version due to the excessive import duty applied at the time because of Harley Davidson, The Canadians were the lucky ones who got the 750cc version. If you ever NEED or WANT to get genuine Yamaha Spares in the UK for The Maxim-X, the the Company to contact is Granby Motors..... http://granbymotors.co.uk/motorcycle-spare-parts Most things are still available from the Yamaha main dealer (if the price of yamaha main dealers doesn't matter to you), which Granby Motors are.

7. Markoragnar

Markoragnar New Member

I shall check them out - this site is a God send and you guys are stars - many thanks again Pete.

8. Markoragnar

Markoragnar New Member

I have traced the small four wires from the two coils to their respective plug sockets so am I right in thinking I can test coils, leads and plugs without having to take the coils out of the bike, and can just unplug the socket connectors in situ? Cheers in anticipation.

9. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Sounds like a crack in the housing letting water get in. That's a known problem -- there was another user here recently with the same problem. You could see about getting some sort of sealant to coat the coil bodies and see if that does anything.

Correct. Unscrewing the plug caps will let you test the secondary side of the coil. You'll have to pull the tank to undo the connector to test the primary.

10. Markoragnar

Markoragnar New Member

Thanks for the help - that sealant was liquid electrical tape; I think I read it somewhere on the site...although to paint it will mean having to take the coils out completely...still, if it was all easy then there would be no joy in it. What I really need is some Californian climate rather than the rain band I call home (England)...I watched Brittown the other day and got a bit depressed at the endless sun and bikes throughout...Oh well -