1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Howdy everyone! :D

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by GeekBikerGirl, Aug 12, 2013.

1. GeekBikerGirl

GeekBikerGirl Member

I'm kinda new. I have been lurking around the board for a while. I think I made A post maybe two. I just got my XJ out of storage(pic attached). My boyfriend gave it to me. I am in the process of cleaning it up. From what I understand it needs some carb work. The plugs were fouling before he put it in storage and it's got old gas sitting in it. It's been in storage for about 7 years. I am not a master mechanic by any means but I will be attempting(hopefully over the next week and this coming weekend) to take the tank off, clean it out, take the carbs off and clean them out and then put it all back together and see if she starts up.

I am a little nerved up about taking the carbs off. There seem to be so many little things that can go wrong with them. My bf seems to think they'll be ok if we "just take them off, clean them out and put everything back exactly how it was". I gotta say, I've given birth twice, worked on my own cars multiple times, jumped off 50 foot bridges and cliffs and none of that has made me as sick to my stomach as thinking about taking the damned carbs off this bike! Maybe I have spent too much time lurking on the boards seeing all the trouble people have with their carbs. LOL!

This is my first bike and I am taking my Motorcycle Training Course at the end of the month. So I am hoping to get it running so I have something to ride once I get my license.

Attached Files:

2. jayo84

jayo84 Member

First thing is to be patient. Take your time, and prepared to get angry..

Having worked on other bikes, I can tell you this one is no gem. But its certainly do able!

There is more than enough info here to get you going. Just follow the church of clean!

3. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

You Go Girl! Glad to have you aboard...plenty of knowledge stored up on this board.
    Might I suggest you check the valve clearance before you attempt cleaning/adjusting your carbs....Do a search for "airhead valve adjustment" or something like that by Bigfitz52...read both parts #1 and 2. Also look up "church of clean" by (I think) Rick o matic.

4. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Welcome!

5. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

Welcome. Fear not the mechanical work. It's absolutely necessary for these old bikes, but they were designed for regular people to work on. You have some experience, so you'll be fine. Just be patient and read up before tackling it.

AlFrumpus has a good summary, with links to detailed explanations. One of the links is to Fitz's valve thread; you'll have to do that before you do your carbs. It's actually not that difficult, but you will possibly need to replace the valve cover gasket and the rubber washers for all 12 (or how many your 700 has) bolts.

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=43470.html

I highly encourage you check the date on the front break lines too, and the rear brakes for delamination. Stopping is way more important than going.

6. MarkV

MarkV Member

GeekBikerGirl, Just take your time, and do your homework. You will be fine. Lots of info on this site. Remember, we are all out for the same goal, a fun, safe ride.

7. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Welcome , my wife spends a lot of time in the garage with me , I just bought her a seca to work on so she can ride with me . Her first task is carb rebuilds . She helped me do mine im sure you will be fine .Lots of knowledge on here to help you

8. jmilliken

Hey, GeekBikerGirl, do you know what that windshield is? If it's coming off, how much would you want to part with it?

9. jmilliken

Take your time and do it right here the first time... Any shortcuts you take on safety put your ass on the line (literally)

10. GeekBikerGirl

GeekBikerGirl Member

Hahahaha! I have no idea to be honest but if it was coming off, my BF would be putting it on his Shadow. He kind of whimpered about it when he realized that it was on there but bucked up and said "No, you keep it" when I offered to take it off and get another. It's a beauty isn't it?

11. GeekBikerGirl

GeekBikerGirl Member

Thanks for the welcome and the advice everyone. I appreciate it! :D

12. Devastruction

Devastruction New Member

You'll be fine just follow the church of clean ! , and be mega careful around the towers that the carb floats sit on i used a wrench on the bit between them and snapped one off ( no fun ) use a rachet :)

13. Dark-Farmer

Dark-Farmer Member

You can clean the carbs first if you really want.
    But before you really get it running properly you will need to adjust the valve clearances.

I would if I were you:
    - adjust the valve clearances (use this write up by big fitz: very well done) http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... ances.html

- Then you will need to clean the carbs (this one is a different website but a great starting point just to get familiar)
    http://cycles.evanfell.com/2008/09/how- ... right-way/

there is also another write up on this site (i think by big fitz agian) that is very good.

The only thing I would do differently to play it safe is do one carb at a time then if you screw up you can look at another one. Also work in a clean space, I took a piece of card board wrote a label for every part i took out and place it right on the name. then made sure i put it all back together before starting the next carb. Just be organized and don't rush it and with the write ups avialiable you shouldn't have a problem.

14. GeekBikerGirl

GeekBikerGirl Member

Awesome! Thank you so much for the help everyone. Looking at these links and the posts I feel a lot better about taking the carbs off and working on the valves.

15. GeekBikerGirl

GeekBikerGirl Member

I should add that I went yesterday and got my permit and registered for my Rider Training Course for the last weekend of the month. :D Very excited!

16. Dark-Farmer

Dark-Farmer Member

Taking a course is a very good idea.
    I took one and if it even saves one accident (which it most certainly will) it is money well spent.

Also a note about taking the carbs off/putting them back on.
    Taking them off wasn't so bad just a little muscle.
    But getting them back on was a total pain in the ass. just getting them back in the boots was tough. So when you get there, your not doing it wrong or anything it just may take a lot of elbow grease lol.

17. GeekBikerGirl

GeekBikerGirl Member

A training course isn't "required" in Ma but I prefer to take one because once you "successfully complete" one with a company that is endorsed through the Registry of Motor Vehicles you don't even have to take the test. You automatically get your endorsement or your license. I paid my endorsement fee in advance so I will have the M class license endorsement on my regular D class license.

OH GOODY, elbow grease. My left elbow is currently suffering from what my doctor insists is a recurring case of "tennis elbow". Hope I have enough grease left in there for this. LMFAO!

P.S. Thanks for the warning! ;)

18. kleraudio

kleraudio Member

I felt just like you did when taking my carbs off. I've never touched a motorcycle engine till June of 2013 LOL. It really wasn't so bad looking back. I rebuilt the lower end as well, which you should consider doing since you'll have the carbs off anyways. It is 30 years old after all :)

Just take your time and do one carb at a time. I used Rick's writeup, and it was awesome! Also make sure you do your enrichment circuit while you're in there.

Valve adjustment should be first priority. That was actually easy, you'll just have to wait to get your new shims from Len when you figure out exactly what it is you'll need.

Good luck and welcome. I'm new here too. My bike ran like hell when I bought. With the help of the people here, she runs like a beaut!!

19. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Awesome . That will be good for your riding skills

20. spinalator

spinalator Member

Welcome to the site!