1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. atuck288

atuck288 New Member

New stainless front brake lines, rebuilt master cylinder/ front caliper. Carb battle that will continue into tomorrow. Then hopefully a ride in the sunset with only moderately chilly temps here in VA.

2. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

Today (tonight in fact) I rode my Yamaha to work.

So what! you might think, and I don't blame you.

But to me it's actually quite a big deal. When I finish my nightshift at 7am tomorrow morning it will be one year to the day that I bought the rusting heap of junk that I lovingly transformed, resurrected and re-modeled into the beautiful machine that is proudly standing outside the Rolls-Royce factory after transporting me smoothly, swiftly and comfortably here earlier this evening and is waiting to take me home in the morning. A total journey of 66 miles that took a year to make possible thanks to the assistance provided by all of the contributers of this wonderful community.

3. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Cheers Robbie, I love your build!

The rebuild continues, and today was crimping day at Smack's house. Modern fusebox installed, replaced some corroded connectors, new negative and ground wire and starter wire. Hopefully start reassembling the bike next weekend, weather permitting.

4. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

Switched out some shims to bring valve clearances into spec. New pressure washers for the valve cover. Installed a carb set that I had bought off of ebay for $35, of course that is after I rebuilt, cleaned, new shaft seals, new fuel rail seals, new float valves, new pilot o rings, washers and springs over that last few months. Bench synced, wet set floats, vacuumed synced and then color tuned the a/f mix. Took her out for a 35 mile ride and she is purring like a happy cat. I wish I could compare her to when she was brand new because I think she is running just as good as when she was new.

5. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Installed my N.O.S 3 way engine guards and rode 125 miles into the mountains of northern Wa State !

6. rmcrow

rmcrow Member

Did my resysnc after my 1k break in on my rebuilt carbs, took a two hour two up with my wife, then a few hours on my own, then spent a little while looking for Harleys and ninjas to blow away at the stop lights. Seriously, the only sport bike I have run into here that can beat me getting up to the speed limit is a CBR 900 a guy a few blocks over runs. These things are just amazing off the line.

7. Beck

Beck Member

When I checked my valve clearances they were almost all off. I tried to take out a shim and it wouldn't come out. I removed the cams and found there's not a single pad on the bike. Now I'm really confused. :/ Where do I start now?

8. Beck

Beck Member

I've been looking at the wrong manual (face palm). I got 2 manuals with the CD. Now that I'mm looking at the right one, it makes much more sense.

9. Bighappy

Bighappy Member

I finally cleaned up my horn contacts so it works now lol.

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

took the 700 and the 900 out for some rides and fresh gas..........nice to be back on the bike again---for a day. Now it's supposed to rain------

grrrr

dave

11. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

Took her out on a ride and tried to kill her or me.. no positive results..

12. ADragonsTail

ADragonsTail Member

Rode from Sydney Australia to the Australian National Motorcycle Museum at Nabiac and return on my 1980 XS850. Did 520kms and spent 3 hours at the museum and a great lunch in town. It is a few weeks short of Winter so the weather was perfect, 24C and fine and clear. Beautiful. (left the XJ650 in the shed today, next time!!)

13. CeasedInfinity

CeasedInfinity New Member

Fixed my turn signal and rode to work. Nice and shiny after I cleaned up a few rusty bolts too.

14. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Started making a front fairing for those longer trips. Nothing fancy, I just had some spare aluminum and acrylic and like a project. Will put pics in my build thread tomorrow.

15. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I changed the oil and replaced the rear brake shoes. Nothing was delaminating but went ahead and replaced them anyway. Now I have peace of mind that there won't be a rear brake problem.

16. RiceBiker

RiceBiker Member

Got the stick welder today via UPS. Made to first welds to the already cut tail/frame. They're ugly so far, die grinder here I come.

82 XJ650 Maxim

17. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you are decent with the rod you're using. did you chip and wire brush the slag off your welds? they may not be as ugly as you think. remember, tight circles keeps the slag and oxidation out. let welds cool completely and you should be able to remove most of the slag with one tap of the chipping hammer... or two or three.

Gary

18. Andyam6

Andyam6 Member

Started stripping the front end of my 650
    I binned it on Monday when I hit a patch of gravel on a bend, luckily I found a grassy verge and didn't get as far as the trees beyond

Bike looks a bit sorry for itself and I've got a couple of cracked ribs, fortunately my missus wasn't on the back
    Ah well, I just get it running superbly (thanks mainly to info from this very site) and life gives me a kick in the balls, back to searching for spare parts :cry:

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I broke the glass on my instrument cluster, and I'm happy that I did. As it turns out the cluster had untempered plate glass in it, and broke into several large, vein-slicing shards! It shall be replaced with a less dangerous material on Tuesday.

20. Spoodle44

Spoodle44 Member

Stared at the bike for about 30 min, cussed a little, then checked valve clearances. One is within spec. YAY. I get to change the shims! (grumble grumble grumble) Spoze I had to learn how sometime.