1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

Strapped on the tail bag and took the ol' girl tent camping.
    Felt nice to be with my bike and nature.

2. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

Yesterday was eventful. I painted my engine, the lower end only, the top end is being coated with BBE thermal dispersant paint. And I modified a Seca rear seat cowling to accpet an old style Yamaha R6 integrated LED Tail/signal light.

Take a look.

the engine:

[​IMG]

and the cowling:

[​IMG]

3. avengingllama

avengingllama Member

put a post in the advice area to find out if I killed my carbs while trying to clean them on Saturday....lol

4. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

Last night I wet sanded the tank and polished it, attached the front windscreen, did a little more electrical work.

Here's some more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Alive

Alive Active Member

Gwyn.... That's looking seriously cool... Nice work.

Today I polished up a set of headers, collars and a collector box I picked up recently... They're in better condition than the ones on the bike so I'm looking at doing a swap any day soon :)

6. pvtschultz

pvtschultz Member

My bike just rolled over 32,000 miles on the way home yesterday! Yea! I also had to filler her up again, this time only 42 mpg. I'm going to have to lay off the right wrist some...

7. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

I spent about 5 hours last night re-greasing head bearings on the 750... I'm going to tapered as soon as I have the time, but for now the originals will have to do. As I took the triple tree apart, I noticed that the upper race was not even touching the bearings.. Wow, that thing was way loose. That would explain the wobble at 40-45mph... Now I have to change the freshly-cupped tire, too :-(

Bike's almost to 44K, so it's getting a brand new, hand-made seat cover from B&H, just as soon as it comes in! :-D

8. jgb1503

jgb1503 Member

Last night I completely took apart my carbs (first time), and went through the mess that they were, and realized I didn't have enough parts and pieces to fix em - so Chacal is getting another order ;-)

Man, they were nasty - the bottom of the pan I was using was actually at least 1/2" thick with crap when i got them all apart.

Oh well, ordering the parts will give them a few days to soak ;-)

I also, started to strip parts off my bike and sand them down and clean them up... always fun to do ;-(

9. PaulT

PaulT Member

tonight, pulled the battery, topped it off and put it on the charger for a bit.
    Installed the choke cable that came in today (YEAAAAAAAA!!!!)

Found my 'new' mirror's gasket wasn't seated properly, so worked it into proper position.

10. turtlejoint

turtlejoint Member

rebuilt the carbs for the 3rd time in the hopes that it will resolve my problems. drilled out old drein screws and replaced them with new ones. changed gaskets. and sanded cylinders and pistons in the carb to make sure i pass my clunk test. tomorrow, ill remount the carbs and see if i can get all 4 cylinders to fire! wish me luck!

11. Alive

Alive Active Member

So today I fitted my polished and near new replacement header pipes and collector box... Even gave her a bit of a clean :)

12. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

Last night I reassembled the engine. I still need to set the timing before I put her back in the bike.

Take a look:

[​IMG]

13. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

^^^ Sorry to hear about you shipping problems. Maybe it'll still work out for the trip.

14. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

No kidding Gamaru. I'm pretty bummed out. I've become an expert on air freight very quickly and it looks like after many $1600 quotes I found a guy that can do it for $1000. Plus I may be able to get it even cheaper if I ship the engine separate. Of course then I have to install it myself at some loading dock. Not impossible but it would kinda suck.

I'm going to make this happen, I've come too far. As well I just got a donation from one of my readers. I didn't know I had a subscriber base for this story.

15. PaulT

PaulT Member

In today's episode of As the Seca turns....
    Paul just got back from getting a new rear tire.
    Another Dunlop 404 to match the front one that went on a couple weeks ago.

16. Alive

Alive Active Member

Elvis... You have a dream.. it will happen :)

Yesterday I spent most of the day cleaning, painting and assembling a new front brake setup... Be a week before I can fit it while the paint dries :)

17. huckersteve

huckersteve Member

New air filter, and replaced a broken front blinky light. Now trying to figure out how to fix/ jimmy rig my high beam switch, broken off- to work..

18. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

I went off the deep end, Removed the side head covers(ornamental) on my X and taped off bead blasted all the black off, removed the radiator cap retainer sand blasted it, Removed both wheels, rotors, brake parts, swing arm, driveshaft, final drive assy. I already had the tank fenders and side covers off. The bike is gettin a stripped and a fresh coat of paint within the next week or three here. It looks pretty darn sad at the moment and I need to get my digi cam over to the garage to get some in progress pics of the teardown and reassy.

19. Alive

Alive Active Member

Today... both front calipers stripped, cleaned and re-built...

Damn those pistons can be a right pain to remove.

20. huckersteve

huckersteve Member

Today- Rear brake light switch!

All lights now functional. Finally!