1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A few questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Oneshot0kills, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Oneshot0kills

Oneshot0kills New Member

I was just given a 1982 XJ650. I was told it had spark to 2 cylinders and not spark to the other 2. I was wondering what the firing order was. I have 2 of the wires marked (1 & 2). Am not sure what the other 2 are. I'm not sure whether the cylinder on the left of the bike is cylinder #1 or what. I'm new to the 4 cylinder bikes. I know the guy replaced one of the coils and another piece on the left side of the bike. I havent tried messing with it much because i can not see any oil in it. Thats my next problem. How many quarts of oil do I put in it? I am working on getting a repair manual but until i do i hope my electronic experience will get this bike running. Thanks for all your help.

2. welderflame

welderflame Member

As you are sitting on the bike the #1 cylinder is the one on the left. As far as firing order goes, That would be a Robert or Rick O Matic area of expertise.

3. Nick

Nick Member

Welcome to the site. Here's a link to some interesting info on the XJ electrical.
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Spee ... lcome.html

The # 1 cyl in on the left side as you are sitting on the bike. Firing order does not really apply to these motors as the coils fire twice per cyl. One coil will fire 1 & 4 the other coil will fire 2 & 3.

To check the oil level the bike must be on the center stand. You will find a site glass on the lower right side of the engine, by the brake pedal. The level should be close to the top of the site glass.

Total amount of oil 3.4 us qts
    Oil and filter change 2.8 us qts
    Oil change 2.5 us qts

4. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

Hi, welcome to XJBikes :)

Left cylinder when sitting on bike No. 1

Left coil feeds No. 1 and No. 4, right coil fires No. 2 and No. 3.

Make sure plug caps are on. Install new set of plugs.

Test coils with multi meter, between small wires, then between large wires.

Post here readings you get.

Oil drain in centre of motor behind oil filter cover. Don't forget to replace when refilling oil.
    Oil is at between 2500 ml and 3500 ml depending on how much you get out with a change. There is a sight glass on the right of the engine case that you can see the oil level at. Place bike on centre stand, Level surface. Fill oil at 2000 ml, slowly add more till level at top (just) of sight glass. Trun motor over a few seconds. Wait a couple of minutes while oil settles. Check galss again.

Conversion scripts very cool:
    http://www.taylormade.com.au/billspages ... table.html

Change filter as well, replace cover with torque wrench 11 ft lb.

5. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

6. Nick

Nick Member

No, not so fast Kiwi, I started typing way before welderflame posted. :lol:

7. welderflame

welderflame Member

Give credit to all the folks here, a well educated bunch of people at keeping these bikes going. Most posters who answer your questions here will be spot on with the info they give. (In XJ Bikes I Trust)

8. Robert

Robert Active Member

Sound advice for you OneShot, you should be able to get that problem ironed out in no time.

9. Oneshot0kills

Oneshot0kills New Member

Thanks everyone for the help. I will try to get it running soon.

10. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The quickest way of detecting a bad coil is to swap the Plug-in Connector's from the Coils to the wiring harness.

If #-1 & #-4 were misfiring BEFORE the swap ...
    Then, #-2 & #-3 should be the ones acting-up after the swap.

Being that we are right into riding season ... (and you got the bike for free) ...

You should consider putting some fine, NEW Coils on that baby ... cutting-out the FUSE PANEL and seeing how far you can throw it ... and replacing that FUSE PANEL with one that will accommodate Plastic Mini-fuses.

Check the length of your Alternator Brushes
    Install an inline Fuel Filter
    Flush the brake hydraulics and do some new brake fluid.
    Reset the Cam Chain tension ... manually ... Auto or not.
    And get the sticker that say: No Fat Chicks.

11. Oneshot0kills

Oneshot0kills New Member

I tested the coils like Kiwi told me to. I have 3 coils. 2 on the bike and a spare one. The first coil read 0 ohms at the small wire and 21k ohms at the big wire. The second one read 0 ohms at the small wire and 10k ohms at the big wire. The spare coil read 0 ohms at the small wire and 11k ohms at the large wire. I didnt think to change my range on my meter. I am pretty sure my coils are fine tho. Does that help out any? I'm gonna clean the carbs this weekend and get some new oil to put in it. Then I will be able to try cranking her up and tinkering from there with it. I appreciate everyones help.

12. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

OK 21 K ohms with the sparkplug caps on is right. The Caps have a 5 K ohm risistance in them.

For the 10 and 11 K ohm readings did they have the plug caps on? Test each cap should be at 5 K each and aftermarket NGK ones have this written on them. The caps un screw. Test the leads without the caps on also.

Caps could be faulty.

Put your meter on the R x 1 scale to test the little wires that you got no reading on they should be at 2.5 ohms.

See attached picture.

Try swapping leads too to see if fault follows your swap.

I had a faulty set that tested fine, and a set that tested at 0 on the big wire that worked! 8O

Attached Files:

13. Oneshot0kills

Oneshot0kills New Member

As of right now I only have one cap that i can find. I got some stuff in a box that i havent gone through yet. I'm gonna measure the cap i do have tomorrow and see how that is. If the small wires read the 2.5 ohms then i will let you know. I dont know why i didnt think to change the range on my meter. Lack of use probably.

14. RickCoMatic

I made a copy of that drawing.
    Enlarged it.
    I'm going to color it and try to stay-in the lines.
    Then, I'm sticking on the refrigerator.
    Right on front.

Nice work!
    Very nice!

15. KiwiXJ750D

KiwiXJ750D Member

:D
    That be art!
    Would you like a signed original?

:D
    We need a XJ art section!

See also:
    This one
    For more Kiwi art!

16. Robert

Robert Active Member

Kiwi, you have just saved a bunch of us a whole heck of a lot of time. Thank you.

17. RickCoMatic

I can't put it on the refrigerator, now ... I'm sorry!

My daughter says they look like two, naked, male, aliens, from another planet, being tortured, by hooking-up an electrical generator to their funny looking feet.

I dunno ... it sort-of does ... I guess.

18. Oneshot0kills

Oneshot0kills New Member

I checked my coils again and they checked good. I switched the plug-ins around and the left side coil quit firing (before it was the right side coil that wouldnt fire). I changed out the ignition module and i got nothing so i put the original module back on. Still original problem. Then i put my spare coil on it and now I have spark on all 4 spark plugs!!!!!! I gotta get some oil from Carquest so i can change it. Tomorrow I am gonna clean the carbs and put them back on the bike and maybe steal the battery from my fourwheeler to put on my bike for the time being. I would like to especially thank Kiwi and also everyone else for the help. I will let everyone know how things are going with my bike. I still have a long slow uphill battle before she is purring like a kitten and lookin like new.

19. Oneshot0kills

Oneshot0kills New Member

I put carbs back on and man was it a pain. I tried cranking it up but i need some spark plugs that arent fouled. I hope once i replace them It will crank right up.

20. RickCoMatic

You could just "Brush their teeth" with a toothbrush and a some Oven Cleaner and rinse them off in somebody's coffee when their not looking.

Four shots of compressed air (paper towels will do)

And ... GET BACK TO WORK !!! You think we got all day to get that bike tuned-up ... the Guy's got me on speed-dial ... he wants me to give him a play-by-play on what you're doing.

I told him we'd be done in an hour.
    Planet Earth time.
    So, never-mind what you'd do if you were on "Lost" ... get the Work Order Closed-out ... or, you're going to have to figure-out what you'd do if you were on ...

"Fired"