1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I finished fixing my oops, then went for a 20 mile ride.
    No leaks :)

SpearChucker likes this.
  2. fessus

fessus New Member

Passed the MOT yesterday and took it for a first proper ride.
    Eventhough it was wet it was a really nice to be out on the first ride!

3. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

Temperature is starting to drop. My kickstand switch gets a bit sluggish in the cool weather and can cause the engine to shut off if I put her in gear too soon after putting the stand up.

I wonder if I'll get around to cleaning the switch this winter?

I may put my windscreen back on to help keep the rain off me too.

The 700 is otherwise in good order. I'm looking forward to rebuilding the brakes and clutch on my 1100 this fall/winter.

What did I do to my Yamaha today? I made a bunch of promises.

SpearChucker likes this.
  4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Great day rode way up into michigan along the lake was a great ride bike was running good ,saw a bunch of bikes rode over 180 miles if I would have had more time would have went further .

Attached Files:

Paul Howells and Franz like this.
  5. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Took my XJ750 out for a 120 mile run around the mtns outside of San Diego.......bike is running sweet.....all dialed in after cleaning carbs & sync'ing.......

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Must be some brilliant biking roads in the United States Jetfixer . I went a run on my bike in Scotland last year and went to Loch Lomond and was at Loch Ness too but I didn't see the monster.

Jetfixer likes this.
  7. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

But perhaps the monster saw you?

Franz likes this.
  8. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

Had my rear tire changed a week or two ago. What I never realized is that once you have worn a round tire flat from just riding back and forth to work (no hard corners) that it is quite difficult to just lean the bike over. When I got the new tire on the realization of how much I was having to work the bike to get her to lay over was astonishing.:eek:
    Now it is like cutting warm, butter just a little effort and over she goes.
    Learned- replace tire when it starts to get the flat worn area!
    Besides that have been racking up the miles- Day off rides been averaging 150-200 miles ;)

Craig B, Franz, Plug and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jetfixer

Tail of the dragon 11 miles with 318 turns from Tennesee into North Carolina have no seen it but have had friends ride it . Southern Indiana the Hoosier scenic highway I rode it from Lawerenceburg ( Segrams head quarters) to Louisville Kentucky a fabulous ride with great scenery, another local is Brown county with lots of twisty back roads in the fall it awesome when leaves turn . Michigan has some great areas to when I went to Saint Joseph the lake and beach and light house all were really nice , just wish I had more time would have liked to spend more time.I'm sure Scottland has some great roads to ride as I'm sure England does as well. This is what motorcyle riding is all about , hop on and loose yourself many a time I've rode went down one road ,took another and gotten totally lost, good times. :D

SpearChucker and Franz like this.
  10. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

1A924AB7-041C-4AFE-967E-150A924F6349.jpeg 1A924AB7-041C-4AFE-967E-150A924F6349.jpeg I bought an LED headlight kit from Fort Nine and it arrived today.
    It’s pretty big and took a little wrangling to get it to fit in the fairing headlight bucket. It’s an amazingly bright light for a very decent price.
    8B59370A-ED48-4AC5-8A83-E785925C1CD1.jpeg

Attached Files:

rocs82650 likes this.
  11. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

I've been trying to figure out how to get a brighter light for my 86 maxim x. Do you think that this would fit?
    I sure would like to have a brighter light !

12. SpearChucker

I think it would fit but there is a separate controller box on a 6 inch cord to be tucked away. The box is only about 4 x 2.5 x 1 but you need to be able to mount that in the headlight bucket. I’ve discovered that there is little or no difference between hi and lo beam but the is so much more light on low beam it really doesn’t matter. And no it doesn’t blind oncoming traffic, the pattern is very faithful to the original and if it’s adjusted properly there is no problem.

13. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I've owned my bike since new in 1985. For the first time in 33 years it was on its side this weekend.
    I had stopped at Walmart parking lot and was talking to someone. Started to get off the bike...and the kickstand was not down. Sign of getting old I guess.

The drop was a someone "controlled" drop with me straddling it and lowering it down to the pavement.
    Most damaged was my pride...a bent engine guard and a cracked left turn signal lens...and a lacerated/bruised knee and ankle.

The lacerations weren't too bad, but I can only imagine what you get when you go down while moving.

As for the bike, I fixed the engine guard with a sledge hammer and two by four. Had a replacement lens already.

SpearChucker, Jetfixer and Tim O like this.
  14. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Ouch, so sorry and ALMOST did the same thing at a gas station with two hot chicks watching:confused:. The grunting lifting it back up before it hit the ground was epic...

15. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

As for me I did the same as it feels like I did all month... wiped down the bike and looked at the weather report with great frustration.
    upload_2018-9-24_10-11-49.png

Jetfixer likes this.
  16. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Interesting...I am in a college town and two hot chicks were getting out of the car next to me...they asked if I was ok...being married, I didn't pursue the conversation....

Adrenaline was flowing, so tipped it back up easily as carbs started pouring gas on the pavement.

Drove it home and started getting tools out of garage. Wife asked what happened. While fixing the bike, she said I had a blood spot on my knee. I fixed the bike first.....

Jetfixer likes this.
  17. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

oh! I never remember to post in this thread! A day late, but... Yesterday, rebuilt my clutch. I even got brave and replaced the needle bearings, since they seemed a tiny bit...crusty.

Just have to reconnect the throwout and a new cable! I celebrated with gin.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  18. Jetfixer

Last year I moved bike out of garage ,went to get off and kick stand folded up ,same as yours controlled drop . Picked up bike as gas flowed out of cap and carbs , only damage was a scuff mark on the case gaurd and a slight scratch on the turn signal base. More embarrassing than anything. Several years ago my Buell Blast was idling while I closed garage door the next thing I know the bike falls over, I had changed out foot pegs for Harley pegs well one broke off 75 $ wasted. Point is we have all had things happen to us just hope your wounds heal ok.

19. Bilfknmury

Bilfknmury New Member

I had some free time at work so I used some of the metal polish we use for our aluminum aircraft spinners. Now I know what I'm going to do this winter.

Attached Files:

SpearChucker and Franz like this.
  20. SpearChucker

Wow did that ever come up nice. Might have to get busy myself.

rocs82650 likes this.