1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

took the 900rk out for a ride yesterday, and everything was fine for about 5 mi, then started bogging and starving. I tried switching to reserve, prime, etc...........no help. Pulled the clutch in and she immediately died. I rolled into a driveway (turned out to be a driveway for a guy whose kid is into motocross as it turns out) and it would only turn over, no fire. WTF!!!! First day it's out in the spring!?!?!?!

So, I he and I just chatted and looked at all the trophies they had while I figured out how to get my truck and trailer.

Just for giggles I tried it again and it started right up. WTF!?!?!??!

Found the problem..............when you're out of gas, you're out of gas and nothing will go through even on prime until you lean the bike hard on the side stand and enough gas can get around to that side of the tank to get down to the carbs again. I bought a gal of gas from him and rode the last 1 mi to the gas station where I was heading in the first place. DUH!!!!! That's what I get for not filling it up n the fall. Note to self: If I ever do that again, kick myself!!!

Dave Fox

2. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

No gas gauge on that model?

3. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Took the 400 out for a 40 km ride. Ran like a dream, other than a possible weak battery (That's what I get for leaving it in the bike all winter)

4. Super

First day out yesterday with new s/s hoses, calipers done, forks done, carbs cleaned, tank Caswell sealed, yada, yada. HUGE difference in the brakes, thanks for all the info and opinions on stainless vs rubber. I filled the tank, brought it home and this morning when I went into the garage I noticed fuel leaking from the overflow on carb 3...Arrrgh.

Off with the petcock that was not shutting off and I found if you are REALLY careful, you can separate these without having any spare parts. I polished the seat that the diaphragm "o" ring seats on. I used a liquid metal polish with a sharpened pencil wrapped in a blue paper shop towel. The sharp end of the pencil conforms perfectly with the tapered seat. It took very little "lapping" to mirror-polish the seat.

I think it failed because I had the petcock out all winter with no fuel in it. The fuel evaporated and left a brown cruddy deposit. Tested it with my vacuum pump, new Rotella 10-40 and filter, and I'm back on the road. I think a petcock kit will be part of my fall-winter Chacal parts order.

I also had a local (Ottawa) shop replace the blue and red decals on my fairing that were damaged by the PO. They look perfect, I wet sanded the fairing with 1000 wet and sprayed on two coats of Nason clear to seal everything. I'll post some photos after I receive my newly ordered Stebel 139dB horn. Hopefully it will fit into the spot vacated by the original horns.

Many thanks to all the posters and to Len for parts and assistance. Great forum!

Dave 83 900

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The 900 Horn Circuit is not a Heavy Duty supply.

The Horn Button Closes the Circuit to Ground.

To avoid potential problems with the Horn Button,, ... Rig the Stebel Horn through a Relay.

Run +12V from the BATT to the RELAY --> LOAD IN
    JUMPER --> +12 LOAD -To- +12V Relay Trigger Post.
    Run +12V LOAD OUT -To- STEBEL +12V IN
    HORN OUT to ---> GROUND.

RELAY Trigger GROUND Wire -To- 900 HORN Ground at Harness
    Grounded when HORN Button Depressed.

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yeah, it has a gauge, but I was looking at miles,not gauges. There was only about 119 mi showing n the odo, so there should have been plenty of gas. I do recall now, putting it away with a note that I need to fill it up. Oh, well..... all's good now................. 'cept I gotta pay more attention to the IDIOT gauge since it appears that is starting to register things now....

Dave Fox

7. Super

Thanks Rick, the only thing that I can add to your list is a fuse on the supply side.

A relay is supposed to accompany the horn.

Dave 83 900

8. wwj750

wwj750 Member

New steering head, swingarm & wheel bearings. Rebuilt forks with new seals. Rebuilt anti-dive units & speedo drive. Painted wheels. Rebuilt front brake calipers. Upgraded fuse block to blade style. New rear brake shoes. Cleaned & lubed all control cables. Oil & filter change. Checked & adjusted valves-3 new shims. Cleaned & rebuilt carbs-stage 3 dynojet, polished bores-clunk test, clear tube & bench synch. Had ignition probs-replaced coils & TCI unit & tested pickup coils. New spark plugs. Had headlight probs-did some re wiring. Added inline fuel filter. Today I finally got to ride with the bike running right & am very satisfied with the results. Many thanks to all here (too many to list) who helped me solve problems. You all have made a fellow XJ rider very happy. Hope I can contribute back sometime. XJ Bikes 4Ever!

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Rode it. Yesterday too. And probably tomorrow.

10. Trumpetrhapsody

Trumpetrhapsody Member

Fully disassembled the carbs and boiled them in lemon juice. Waiting for a package in the mail (throttle shaft seals) to finish buttoning them all back up and re-check the float levels. Fingers crossed it finally runs like it should after all this!

11. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

Put 150 miles on it!

12. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Hit the 500 mile mark (since I bought it) on my way home from work. Time to become more adventurous and take a few extended rides. Still gonna ride it to work everyday though.

13. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

bench sync... didn't get much time at all today...

14. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

tore the motor down on the 750 need new rings

15. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

JUST GLOAT ABOUT IT WHY DONT YA

>continues to wrench on alternator<

16. Gearhead61

Gearhead61 Member

Tried learning a few new songs for the girlfriend on mine today.

[​IMG]

17. pabstblueribbon

pabstblueribbon Member

hahah I own that guitar!
    I installed new alternator brushes and crash bars...highway pegs to go on tomorrow!!!!

18. carbonxe

carbonxe Member

Rotated my handlebars down some. All wires and cables still have plenty of slack and nothing hits the gas tank at full turn.

[​IMG]

Also converted tail/brake lights and gauge lights to LED.

19. macros10

macros10 Member

Replaced a tail light bulb, lol, have left side blinkers again! :)

20. JFStewart

JFStewart Member

New tires.