1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

That looks a lot like the rear gear oil and magnetic bolt the first time I dropped the oil out of the rear gear on my XJ650J. I put added an ounce or two of SeaFoam and ran it for 100 miles, then changed it again to try to get all the goo out of there.

Now a rear gear oil change is just on my annual list of maintenance items. Kind of like cable lube. Does it absolutely need it? Probably not, but it couldn't hurt and these machines aren't getting any younger.

Also, it makes me feel a lot better when I drain the oil and it isn't just goo with a bunch of goo on the magnetic plug.

2. Dan Gardner

Also, a "therapeutic solvent cleanse" is one possible way to resolve the starter clutch issue:
    http://xj4ever.com/catalog/d-7-starting.html

3. Dan Gardner

XJ650J hit 30,000 miles today
    30000.jpg

ksigurdsen likes this.
  4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

spent 8 hours between yesterday and today disassembling a 750 maxim caliper.
    I had traded a 550 caliper to someone for the 750 caliper that was on his bike because he had stripped out the allen head.
    I now have this bike and was going to rebuild the 550 caliper but it is missing the spring plate from under the pads, it was there when I traded it to him.
    I did the allen bolt the day I traded the calipers,
    so the caliper had been spray painted with aluminium paint while it was all assembled the seals were mush. I popped out the piston and oddly the single seal in it wa s in good shape second seal missing.
    so I put it in the bucket to soak after 20 minutes I took it out cleand some paint off and had to clean paint from every surface as it was gluing the 2 parts together.
    back into the bucket for another hour, I did a set of wheel bearings while waiting.
    so now the fu starts, the mounting bracket pins are frozen into the caliper body. I used a oak shin i made to drive it between the parts nothing moved . soaked it down with penetrating oil at pims and pin threads, returning hourly to add more........ so todat I was able to start to get the pin to start to free up the pin with the hex head came oose and I was able to start backing it out. back to the wedges drove them in again pin started tomove .... six sets of wedges I had the mount high enough to remove 1 pin.
    coo I thought I was going to be able to pivot the mount but it just osened at the pin where it was screwed in.
    more wedges more movement finally got the pin out

its in good shape just all gunked up . tomorrow I will start the final clean and inspection to see if it is still viable to rebuild.
    did a lot of multitasking waiting for penetrating oil . cl eaned an ignition switch, repaired and cleaned a left control repaced a few bullet connectors I got a kit and crimper tool off of amazon that has the correct size bulets for yamahal, both the large and small diameter ones male and female with boots

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Yep, the XJ650 Turbo / XJ750 Maxim (and others) calipers are the hardest calipers to service, the pins get seized (both air-locked and corrosion) and the pad pin requires a gorzillion-foot-long breaker bar to break loose...

XJ550H likes this.
  6. SecaMaverick

SecaMaverick Active Member

On the way to work this morning, Old Red turned 50,000 miles. It's taken 40 years of her life to get there, and 15 years of help and advice from you fine folks on this forum -- not to mention countless orders from Chacal -- but she finally got there.
    Here's to the next 50,000!
    XJ550RH_Seca_50k_Dash_July2021_resize.jpg XJ550RH_Seca_50k_July2021_resize.jpg

wgul, Toyobaru866, ksigurdsen and 5 others like this.
  7. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

Quite a bit but not a lot?
    Today I installed some new plugs, did an oil and filter change

Tightened up the drive chain a bit

Finally found and installed a 4th chrome diaphragm cap for my carbs(idk I really wanted all 4 to be chrome)

Zip tied some dangly wires

adjusted my idle screws(runs great with choke barely cracked open, wants to die upon throttle pull.. only when cold. Runs perfect when warm)

installed new muffler gaskets and new* sportster mufflers.

and finally finished polishing my resealed and revived junk yard 550 Seca tank and bolted it up.

This bike is Noah’s, my daughter who recently passed earlier this year. I bought it for $200 when it was just a rusty frame, engine, and wheels.

This bike and a ton of you guys on the forums have really helped me more then you’ll ever understand.

Here’s to many more changes to come! 1AFD7344-A650-4CA7-958F-E5582DBDD318.jpeg D978FC9B-DECA-4B5D-BE90-BBB16D18D806.jpeg 7D0E52B2-FFA7-46AB-AE73-F94E1521CE62.jpeg

8. Noahsxj

Noahsxj Active Member

This is what I bought for 200 just so you guys know I didn’t butcher an original 550 seca, it was a stripped maxim

Attached Files:

Uxbridge Brule, chacal and Simmy like this.
  9. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Not a bad attempt - in fact far better than the usual rubbish people call "cafe racers". If I was being critical I'd say the seat neads to hide the seat rails (as well as that bracket), and it needs some side panels, preferably silver/alloy.
    Just my opinion. Well done for rescuing a wreck!

Noahsxj likes this.
  10. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

I rode mine on the 2 lane twisty roads here

Attached Files:

Uxbridge Brule likes this.
  11. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Took it for a ride.

ElkHavenSeca likes this.
  12. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Made the supports for the Dyna's installed in the original bracket as shown on Harald's website maxim-x.com Much better than the cable ties I use before. IMG_20210804_122103.jpg

Uxbridge Brule and Franz like this.
  13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Dismantling another engine to replace parts. Made a bench to work on this time instead of the floor.

16284604794944649617420872811438.jpg

14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

my newest XJ550H did the shims check today 8 for 8 out of spec all tight with shims on hand and shims in bike corrected 6 of them .
    bike also has those knockoff mainfold boots had to rtv the nipples in place for now and replace the 3 nipple caps as thee caps just spun around.
    running much better .

just have to install oem blinkers up front put a headlight in the bucket and the last 2 shims.
    and is going to need a new chain. i will have to buy that soon.
    maybe I will keep it

Noahsxj and Uxbridge Brule like this.
  15. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Yesterday I got the confusing carburetors mounted back on the Turbo (after months of fussing and conferring with Hogfiddles and more fussing). Today hooked up an gravity feed fuel tank and filter, put the battery back in and fired it up naturally aspired. This is the first time I have heard it run. I let it idle, warm up and idle off choke for a few minutes. Amazingly encouraging. And ordered an electric fuel solenoid to avoid any chance of the fuel leakage Turbos seem to like to do. Now to put all the plumbing and wiring back together. Progress!

Noahsxj, Toyobaru866 and ksigurdsen like this.
  16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Rebuilding another 900 f engine, got the cases together this morning. Fit pistons and cylinders tomorrow.

Noahsxj and Toyobaru866 like this.
  17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Threads were so bad engineer drilled through so l could fit a pair of bolts to clamp the gasket at the front of the cam tunnel.

16295419519642545783288788387828.jpg

18. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    More work of getting the Turbo carbs and induction back installed, on and off a couple of times getting everything lined up and snug. And you naturally aspirated guys think simple carbs on and off is a pain...... I feel like a gynecologist working up under the tail end of the bike with the rear wheel off to align the Turbo plumbing with the surge tank!

19. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Just finished my second starter clutch replacement on my yellow seca ( this was my spare engine) spent last two days making sure things were tight and adjusted . Spent day synching carbies with my Morgan pro tune and used my Gunson colortune. Got it running good ...so nice to have it crank over when hot and it not slip and grind.

20. StorminNorman

StorminNorman Member

Finally got to crank the bike for the first time after rebuilding the carbs. Still need to tune them. But it sounded pretty good after all the hours of cleaning and adjusting.