1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dreaded starter clutch replacement

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

:mad::eek: have to re synch carbs, can't get it idle without putting pressure on throttle it idles down to the point it dies . These carbs were spot on the other engine . I noticed my Morgan pro tune I have very low vacuum , I'm afraid this engine is weak . Trying to decide if I'm going to tear into the engine I just removed. I do have another repair kit for the starter clutch . I looked at the old clutch one of the rollers is flat spotted.

2. Toyobaru866

Toyobaru866 Active Member

Bummer... Did you check your valve clearances somewhere down the road? Or maybe all it needs is some more running?

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Could your piston rings be gummed up with engine not running since 2019? Mabe the acetone ATF 50/50 mix will help? I assumed old Yellow's engine only had the starter clutch failing.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  4. Jetfixer

Practice makes perfect , decided to tear into the engine I had removed . Going much faster , all the upper bolts out , clutch cover and clutch removed left side cover out . Still need to remove flywheel and the timing plate and then can flip engine over . The engine I just did the starter clutch in is a sick engine I'm afraid , I have tried everything I can think of have virtually no vacuum at idle with my Morgan tune . Check it against my Johnny Cash bike have great compression at 150 on all four cylinders. This engine is barely 100 psi . , the spare engine is 145psi so this engine is in better shape . I even tried something I normally would never try ...Restore in a can it did something smoked like a mosquito fogger have not checked to see if it made a difference.

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i've seen posts about the cam dots not lining up right but jumping one tooth on the chain made it just as far off the other way, only one is right
    did your cam dots line up perfect ?

6. Jetfixer

Cams were 180 out , I made rookie mistake of rotated engine without cam tensioner in and before I put lower case back on . I reindexed the intake cam the exhaust cam was left as is cam dots are aligned now with cam cap.

7. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Brave man!
    Did you check the cam timing?

8. Jetfixer

Yes when I disturbed crank and rotated , camshaft were 180 degrees out, repositioned intake cam Mark's line up with arrow on cam cap .

9. Jetfixer

Making good progress ready to pull oil sump and the bottom case bolts and split case , but I only get an hour or two in the evening. I really want to see this starter clutch since it was slipping cold or hot , it really sucked this engine ran so good . The engine I have put in that I just did starter clutch , I have not totally gave up on still messing with my spare carbs synch is off slightly but have not had time to play with it. Sorry if I've confused anyone the engine I just did the starter clutch is the orginal engine to the bike. The engine I'm replacing starter clutch in is my spare engine , this has givin me two years of service .

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

That's what l meant. Was the original engine giving good acceleration etc before the starter clutch failed?

11. Jetfixer

The orginal engine ran good ,but the spare engine ran better , or it could be the placebo effect. Lol

Franz likes this.
  12. Jetfixer

Got case split it was a bit harder than other engine. Engine is spotless inside ,sump is very clean I've been using Shell Rotella 15/40. Got starter clutch out , rollers looked okay but springs are shorter than the rebuild kit and there was some wear grooves in roller plate the pictures attached show some wear, polished up with autosol metal polish a little better. Again I know I should do the guide but they look good ,so tomorrow I may start reassemble .

Attached Files:

13. Jetfixer

Finally got lower case on ...only took it off three times:eek: had problems at rear of engine the fifth gear set would not line up right . I will give a tip for what worked for me put clutch shaft in the lower case , I took 0.32 safety wire about a foot in a half looped it around gear set and feed it through the sump opening and threaded through the engine mount holes till it is tight . Doing this keeps the shift fork in place and makes it easier when placing case back on . Once case is in place pull the safety wire out . Got the can tensioner back in and upper bolts , and the moment of truth ,put timing plate on and engine rotated 360 degrees.....happy dance . Still have alot more to put back on , not sure if I will do more tonight.

chacal and Franz like this.
  14. Jetfixer

Epic fail while putting flywheel back in it shifted ,went to remove and it was wedged and one ear broke off clutch basket :eek: I'm not sure if I can still use or not . I tried these alum weld rod to repair it would not melt rod but managed to melt the broken tab just fine lol opions on using this or not?

Attached Files:

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

That's a bummer. Might be better getting a used one off E bay, or one of the XJ group.

16. Jetfixer

Replacement flywheel showed up and engine is back together, so managed to do two engines with starter clutch replacement. No I did not do the chain guide replacement this would require more tear down . I have not completely givin up on the engine I just installed , this evening worked on it , rechecked cam timing again , reindexed it and I ....think it is right ....will find out in the morning, have to put carbs back on .

17. Minimutly

"happy dance "
    Made me smile this - I do this too!

18. Jetfixer

Sort of happy dance :D , getting cams timed "fixed" it sort of . Since this engine has been sitting for two years , replaced the starter clutch , now number 1 and 4 have 120 psi compression, number 2 and 3 105 psi ( carbs removed and no plugs in and battery fully charged ) . I need to recheck valve clearance , the carbs I'm using are recently been to church , using my Morgan pro tune at idle very low vacuum ( checked on my Johnny Cash bike at idle good indication of vacuum) . Rode to filling station and around neighbor hood it runs okay , still working at it , if I have to I have a spare engine lol . So far so good pretty nice with a hot engine and engine cranks over with no ....slipping.

Simmy and Franz like this.
  19. Jetfixer

Took bike out got it up to 60 , not exactly blistering performance...guess will swap engine out after all :mad:.

20. Minimutly

Something doesn't make sense here - low comps, if everything is correct with the valves and cams, would point to really bad pistons - ie no rings, melted lands etc. This would make it smoke like a garden fire, as well as breath really heavily - does it?
    If not, I would take the head off and check for bent rods.....