1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dreaded starter clutch replacement

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Your chain looks better than mine did but with only 12,000 miles on the engine it should.

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Had to pull starter clutch back out...in my haste and overlooking I had not put oil on the rollers , know oil will flow down oil holes ...BUT I did not want to take a chance . Started putting a few item back in , but started cleaning mating surface of cases . Now I'm worried getting the shift fork on the drum was my major concern.

3. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

Take your time... sounds like your on right track...

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Once you get the gearbox components in and you are reassembling the cases spin your selector drum a few times by hand to make sure all the gears are selecting property. I tried without sealant on the cases a couple of times before l coated the joint faces and assembled them.

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Another tricky bit is getting the bottom of the tensioner side cam chain guide in the pocket in the lower case. You will know it's all right when the cases go together easily.

6. Jetfixer

Down to cleaning oil sump and case halfs . Took stock of my gasket set , had used oil sump gasket on the engine that is in the yellow seca. Xj4ever to the rescue ordered gasket, clutch bolts and eBay for the exhaust gaskets . I have not put the case together yet , I went to my Yamaha dealer for Yamabond and they were out but the owner had a bit of it in the garage he gave it to to me...great dealer.

JMark, Uxbridge Brule and Simmy like this.
  7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

when you get to the sealant part, put some in the corner of a baggie and snip 1/16 inch off the corner
    then you get a nice thin bead and you can practice making little flowers with the leftovers, like the lady at the baker shop :)
    works for 5 minute epoxy too

Oatmeal, chacal and Jetfixer like this.
  8. Jetfixer

I'm bummed I made the mistake on the oil spray nozzle I drove it in snapping off locating tab , I attempted to do a hillbilly repair drilled it and put a small screw in cut to length and trimmed down diameter. It worked , but this bothered me I would be worried it not being aligned with oil hole or not spraying right . So Xj4ever to the rescue again ordered a new nozzle. Until I get parts I'm dragging my feet about putting lower case on , well will take the time to clean up parts .

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

You can repair the old one as a spare using a roll pin. @k-moe mentioned it in another thread.

10. Jetfixer

Well as the old saying goes " Here's mud in your eye" put lower case back in place , went back in for the most part without much trouble . As far as I can see forward guide is in place in notch and shift fork is on the drum . Installed the bottom bolts still need to flip over and put top bolts in place . Making progress but have to wait on parts tomorrow will put a little more parts back in . Got alot of cleaning to do !!! I was sweating so bad from the humidity, tried to fire up yellow seca ...this starter clutch is toast ....slipping cold as well . So will have to do this one as well . I have learned a few things now as long as this one works fingers crossed. At least my Johnny Cash bike runs :D

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Can you spin the selector drum by hand?

12. Jetfixer

Omg I started reassembly and engine will not turn over at crank over turns a few degrees...going to tear it back down . I know I should have checked this first ...give up for the night will look at in morning.

13. Jetfixer

Yesterday took lower case back off , found one of the right upper case bolt behind cylinder head snapped off and was very rusty . I had so many types of extractors no luck, even tried heat , ended up drilling and tapping . My parts from xj4ever showed up whooo , l spent some time cleaning oil sump , cleaned out the oil level sensor and found the wire cover cracked and the connector not so good . Put heat shrink over orginal sheathing and a new wire plug , looks factory . My goal today is to get cases cleaned back up will see how that goes .

14. Jetfixer

Success got lower case on and after fighting it got shift fork in place , engine turns over with a wrench on timing wheel . Making progress will see how far I get today.

Uxbridge Brule and Franz like this.
  15. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Starter clutch wise.
    Did you disassemble it?
    I only ask because I have seen the main core of the clutch with a crack completely through it that can't be seen without yanking those hex bolts.
    Probably hard for the mechanism to work properly if the base is flexing.

EDIT: sorry, only just realised you were putting it back together. I had this issue once in 2 engines and it was cracked right through, so I thought I'd mention it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Jetfixer, k-moe and Franz like this.
  16. Jetfixer

Nope put a new starter clutch in with new springs and rollers . Now that I know what I'm doing now, the engine in my yellow seca won't be as bad if I decide to do it.

17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

When Jetfixer :p

18. Jetfixer

If this runs afterwards ...then I might do the deed

19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

It will run.

20. Jetfixer

Making progress got clutch and clutch cover back on ,my intent is to fill with oil and spin it over with starter . Calling it a night still cleaning up left side cover.