1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

40mpg

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by leondegrance, Jun 25, 2008.

1. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Honda made a CRX HF with a 1.3 L and 5 speed that got 67 MPG.

A 650 has half the motor, maybe 1/3 the weight, and punches a smaller hole in the air (with a much larger coefficient of drag).
    It should get 100 MPG in the same state of tune.

My 750 gets 32 - 38 MPG
    My 900 gets 49 MPG. Which do you think I ride? :lol:

2. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

I was getting around 40mpg until I started riding at 45mph in fourth gear instead of fifth. Once I changed that driving habit, my mileage jumped up to 49-51mpg. It seems these bikes like to run best at a minimum of around 4K rpm. Anything less is lugging the engine which seems to waste fuel.

My daily commute starts with about 3.5 miles @ 45mph (4th gear), followed by 1.5 miles @ 25mph (3rd gear), then a mile @ 30mph (3rd gear), then a half mile @ 40mph (4th gear), followed by 8 miles at 55mph (5th gear). It finishes with about a half mile @ 25mph (3rd gear). Reverse this for the trip home.

3. leondegrance

leondegrance Member

that is a very interesting thought, I might try that.

What RPMs does everyone shift at?

4. bill

bill Active Member

Like wise here. Interesting thought, I wondered about lower RPM and how it would effect gas mileage. My boat's 125 will get much better mpg if I keep it around 3k. At 4k and over you hear a huge sucking sound as it gobbles gas ;0)

I'll try running it at 5k or so and let you guys know. Could be my riding habits - I'm willing to learn.

5. sanchez

sanchez New Member

My last two full tanks (all 4.7 gallons) brought 54 mpg. I have all my ratios in sync and set to factory specs. I've also got nothing after market on her so that might affect it. Most of my miles are freeway as well.

6. munkee

munkee New Member

I just had my 82 650 out for AT. I got 51 cruising town and the highway. Then I rode home on the interstate into the wind and got 41. I haven't ridden it enough to find the sweet spot yet, but I does seem to get better economy higher into the rev range. My sho gets 31 if I cruise right around 78, but it will drop to about 28 if I go up or down more than a hundred rpm.

7. dannzeman

dannzeman Member

I just richened up my fuel mixture to get my spark plugs lookin like they should and my mileage dropped from 38 (at its best) to 32. Why am I getting such terrible mileage?

8. grimreaper169

grimreaper169 Member

82 750 and I am getting 51 mpgs stock bike nothing over 65 mph 500 miles a week to and from work same every time. GOD I love this bike.

9. bstig60

bstig60 Member

Best I have gotten with my bike is 53 MPG, but I can usually run the better part of 200 miles before going on reserve, so I average about 50 MPG. Mileage is all about how you ride, how you shift and how much load you are carrying. I am 220 lbs, and have a factory touring package on my bike, so it is a little heavier than most, but I think the fairing helps cut the wind better.

10. grimreaper169

grimreaper169 Member

I think you are just pissed because you can't afford a Harley.

My other ride!

Attached Files:

• hd1.jpg
      hd1.jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
  11. bstig60

bstig60 Member

Sorry not PO'd. Ain't got one and don't want one! My first bike was a 1955 HD 45 Flathead. Didn't keep it long. Too heavy...... I will stay with my mid-sized bikes and you are welcome to ride what you wish.

12. dannzeman

dannzeman Member

Like it says in Ass.Fault's sig: "I'd rather push a Yamaha than ride a Harley".

13. bstig60

bstig60 Member

Good point.......

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i,ve had my 750 for 3 years and never bothered checking the mileage, it runs good and other than putting smaller carbs on it or riding like a old lady, theres nothing i can do about it, if i wanted mileage i'd have bought a 250
    and that push a yamaha thing, will that be true two miles down the road? :)
    only push shopping carts

15. dannzeman

dannzeman Member

Have you ever ridden a Harley? They vibrate so much that 2 miles down the road you can't feel your hands and feet. What kind of a ride is that?

Back to the topic - after changing my shift points I got my mileage back up to 37 after richening up the fuel mixture. Better, but still not where I'd like it.

16. bstig60

bstig60 Member

Yes, and you are right, back to the topic......
    You have to be losing fuel somewhere, have you checked to make sure you are getting fuel in the oil? How about your plugs, are they black and sooty or clean and tan?

17. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

I'm looking at your sig and the K&N's and wondering of you're jetted properly running those. Something to think about.

18. dannzeman

dannzeman Member

The plugs aren't black and sooty. They're a little darker than tan.
    Gamuru: Just to clarify, the K&N is just a replacement filter, not pods. But still, the jetting may be off.

19. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Today we went on a 160 mile trip into southern MN. My son took the 750 maxim (red) I was on the 1100. He got about 52 mpg and I got 46 mpg. We averaged about 55 MPH all through the trip. I would think that since the weather was nice and not too humid or hot we had the best conditions to check MPG. We did our best to keep off of the throttle to see what we could actually get.

20. FSCGunslinger

FSCGunslinger New Member

Currently: Camp Hovey, South Korea; Home is WV
    What are you doin' to get 46mpg with your XJ11? I've got one and with no mods, I'm getting about 36-38mpg. Granted, I tend to ride just over the listed speed limit...