1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 650H "Restoration"

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dmccoach, Jan 2, 2012.

1. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

AHHHH - Ok, I know what you mean...

Cool, well turns out we have a second mutual interest --

Thanks

2. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

damn, scary story of the shoulder bolt!! Im glad to hear that you got it out without 'tooooo' much fuss though!

3. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Wow this is looking incredible!!! :D

4. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Dude - that's your paint on the tank and covers - nice work - and thanks

5. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

One well know issue with the dynacoils is their size -- they are bigger than stock OEM... as a result you can buy a turn-signal relay relocator-tab (because in order to fit in the larger coils you must grind the tab off the frame where the relay "hangs" on a large rubber gromit...

I bought the optional relocator tab and re-hung the turn relay unit off the right side front coil mounting nut...

It leaves you with the option to swing the relay in about a 90-degree arc under there under the right-side coil. Here is what it looks like from the left side of the bike looking up under the frame at the relay (under the coils) -- the not-in-focus bolt left foreground is for the horn.
    [​IMG]
    While using as many position options as possible for the relay, I still couldn't get my OEM horn under there without jamming into the relay...

ONE Solution (among other options)? -- The new horn below -- Cost $9.99, is dramatically smaller and much lighter, draws 1.5 vs. 2.5 amps, and fits nicely into the smaller space without hitting the relay --

However, the new smaller unit is rated at 100db, while OEM is rated at 105db -- It is higher pitched. To my ear, it sounds just as loud and maybe more "piercing". I don't know the law, and I hope do not have an issue with inspection...
    [​IMG]

6. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

dmccoach..it's looking great, hope you have even more fun riding it

7. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

A few more Tips and Tricks...

I am prepping the carbs to go back on the bike later today and have already reattached the intake boots to the motor with new gaskets... I turned my attention to the "boot retainer hoops" and found that I had buggared up the soft-metal phillips-head screws used to tighten the hoops... I wanted to share that these SS 4mm hex-heads fit perfectly and frankly will be a whole lot easier to manage for reaching, tightening and loosening them -- The phillips-head screws were "soft", easily ruined, and it was frustrating getting them off...

---
    [​IMG]
    ---

8. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

12:10am eastern time -- time for bed, but a good afternoon and evening --- OEM, refurbished carbs and pipes installed today -- Maybe I'll fire it up tomorrow (Saturday) or Sunday... Still to do: install new fuse box, bleed front brakes, replace rear shocks, and install rear brakes

---
    [​IMG]
    ---

9. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

look's awesome! Museum quality.

10. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Ok, it's been a good week end:
    Front brakes are bled and the line is tight as a drum...
    It's a great feeling of confidence having the handle feel crisp...
    The petcock is reinstalled and the tank was readied... Carbs have been well synched...
    Also Color tuned across all four... I am real pleased with how it is running on the stand --
    I can't take it out (25 degrees F here) -- it has no tick tick tick on idle (as it did with the old cams/shims),
    and the throttle response is snappy... I need to get in some plug chops...
    Next week: Rear shocks, rear brakes, rubber boots on handles, install trim and badges -- tank on and hope for warm(er) weather!... Got to do some plug chopping... I will post final assembly shots from multiple angles...

Then on its first ride, I'll give you my impression of the feel of the Megacycle cams....
    See you next week end.

p.s. these phone videos get "real large" (file size) real fast, and I've discovered I can only get about 16 or 17 seconeds for 8Meg which is the largest file size I can mail from the phone without hooking it up and down-loading files, etc. Sorry for the short video.

ALSO - The sound is not synchronized -- the sound is about a 1/2 second behind the video - I was real pleased with the quick throttle response - but it doesn't look responsive on the video
    ---

1981 XJ650H Start after Rebuild

jeez, I an't seem to get videos to embedd... I followed the instructions here: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=7 ... video.html
    ---
    [flash=425,355]http://youtu.be/Qd0IZ9PdSho.swf[/flash]
    ---
    [video=425,355]http://youtu.be/Qd0IZ9PdSho.swf[/video]

11. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Sounds sweet, looks like a brand new bike!!!!

12. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Badge fit and finish work today... Rear shocks are "in the mail" and when they arrive -- I need to remove and polish the grab bar too... Rear brake replaced then too... Really dying to ride it... soon -- maybe this week end.

---
    [​IMG]
    ---
    ---
    [​IMG]
    ---
    ---
    [​IMG]
    ---

13. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Exemplary. Beautiful work, you should be proud.

14. Yammadof

Yammadof Member

+1.........looking really good. Love that colour!

15. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

That yellow is gorgeous in the sun! This bike is hurting my eyes, it is so shiny.

16. mtnbikecrazy55

superb work!!

What tires did you go with?

17. mtnbikecrazy55

as well as what grips are those?

18. NigeW

NigeW Member

Very nice - love how clean the engine etc is.

19. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Thnk you gentlemen for the encouragement!

Rear shocks, tires, brakes, polish back grab bar -- all next not yet done...

Shocks, brakes, polish Grab -- all this week end

Oh, I still haven't put in the new Fuse box (from Len) -- wanted to "get her running" before changing an important variable (e.g. if I changed the fuse box before firing it up, and if it wouldn't have started or ran poorly, then I'd not know if it was my mechanical work (head/piston-ring, cam, shim or carb work, etc.) -- or --- if was an electrical issuse that I caused by installing a new fuz box -- so -- the old fuse and eletrical worked fine, I wanted to leave that possible "variable" constant)

Grips are these:

Avon Grips

20. mook1al

mook1al Member

Great looking build. Love the color, such a nice change from the average black or red. I do have one observation; do they carry the spark plug wires in yellow, or are you going to put more red accents on the bike, say paint the black stripe on the grab rail and the lettering on the plant cases red??....just my $.02.......