1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 650H "Restoration"

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dmccoach, Jan 2, 2012.

1. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Folks,

The bike (cosmetically) is finished… Still have some tuning to do, but I believe it is minor tweaking, and I am sorting through it. I did some final assembly late last night (grab bar, tuning rear shocks, and other minor items).

Took her out today for some brisk-weather riding under a clear, blue, beautiful sky here in NE PA -- perfect for final "beauty shots"…

This site has been great; I could not have completed this project without ALL of the great resources and the knowledgeable, sharing people who hang here.

Thanks so much!!

Video if you wish:
    ---
    Maxim XJ650H, 1981 Final
    ---
    ---
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those are 12.5" Progressive 430 rear shocks, but if you use the Part Finder on the Progressive site, they will lead you to 430-HD shocks for the 650 -- I don't know why... The HD are Heavy Duty and more expensive than non-HD shocks, so I looked around and found (at a good price) 4007s (430-4007B) with 70-120lb springs (the HD's are a heavier spring -- they are 90-130lb)... They are a great feel and IMHO perfect for this bike... I have them set mid-to-lighter end of their adjustment… For reference, I weigh 185
    ---
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    --- 142a

2. mook1al

mook1al Member

Fantastic work. Absolutely splendid!

3. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Great job, looks sweet.

4. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Thank you... It's been a great project...

Frost said: "The fact is the sweetest dream that labor knows..."

5. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Congrats, looks great!

6. NS_Rider

NS_Rider Member

I am liking the color more all the time, it looks great. A bit off topic, but does anyone know if the chrome air box covers from a 650 will fit on a 750 bike?

7. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Im loving that grab bar!!! Looks like you matched the yellow pretty well. I wish I had known you were interested in doing that, I could have sent out whatever paint I had left and you may have been able to find a place that could have put the paint in an aerosol can.

8. mook1al

mook1al Member

Not just the grab bar. Notice the stripping on the rear brake/footpeg bracket as well. Great attention to detail on this build. Well worth the time.

9. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Zach, I didn't know I was going to add that detail until I assembled it and stood back to consider the lines... I just didn't "see" it back in December.

You did an awesome, professional job... The dark flecked clear can not be appreciated in photos.

Thank you

p.s. the trim paint is VHT high temp paint - their yellow - I bet they matched "corvette yellow" purposely

p.p.s. plug wires don't exactly match but I'm not too concerned... That is actually heat shrink tube (for electrical wire)... So it will strip off in a minute should I want to go to black.

10. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Coach
    A totaly awesome job you did on that bike. It looks fantastic.

I do not by any means want to nit pick. Just a minor obersvation in pic 135. Look at the fork emblem compared to the rest of the bike. My eye is saying that the black background should be yellow to match the rest of the bike. Just like you did with the grab bar, foot pegs, and badges.

Also. The yellow plug wires are a definate improvement over the red, and make the color scheme more complete.
    Ghost

11. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

That's a good observation. I can do that ... What about the "Yamaha" on the clutch and shift covers...? Or is that suddenly "over-the-top"

My wife suggested the rims - outer circles to be yellow but I resisted that thought it would no longer look vintage...

One more nit pick... I'd like to lower the rear end unsprung? Those are 12.5" shocks as specified and those are 430s but they are not the HDs they are the 4007s (430-4007B) with 70-120lb (the HD's are a heavier spring -- they are 90-130lb)... They are a great feel but how to "lower" I dunno... BTW, if you look around you can find great deals on these

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

How about some chrome trim for the edge of the tank? I don't like the look of bare edges on my tanks when I can at all help it.

So, once you have it all dialed in, you can ride it up for the carb clinic, right!?!? :)

Dave F

13. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Sir David... You betcha... I'll be there for the clinic please keep me posted... RE: tank trim - please look closely to see I have the black tank trim installed all the way round under there ... I am sorry but I like the black I chose for that trim. RE: Dialed in -- it's there -- I've nailed the bottom end -- pulls like a mule now no hesitationan rips up through 6 and 7... small shims and right float levels did the trick (should never have changed float levels)... The shim may, in the end be unnecessary, they make a minor color difference on the mid-to-top chops... I will do one more experiment (I am an addicted tinkerer) -- I am going to pull the shims and try the 116's I've received as mains... 114's are in there now... I like the "idea" of running without a shim, and want to see what happens -- if it pulls better top end or if I've crossed THE line... I'll report on final tweaks.

Thank you

---
    [​IMG]
    ---

14. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Off topic,

But did anyone notice the date on the covered bridge on the prior page picture (I thought I might get a comment)? No? Civil war "era"! (1869) It spans about 150 feet of the Maiden Creek (Ontelaunee Trail) leading to Virginville, PA. Huge, hand-cut/hewn timbers from 1869 still at work (in it) making up the strcutural components... Yup, city slicker here...

15. LETitRIDEparts

LETitRIDEparts Member

Hey is that the "haunted" bridge in Gettysburg?

16. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

17. LETitRIDEparts

LETitRIDEparts Member

Oh it's not. Doesn't have that house in the background. Looks very similar. We always go there at night so I guess I wouldn't really know whats around it.

18. Pazalas

Pazalas Member

Almost thought it was the one on the tulpahocken creek near blue marsh. But you cant cross that one. Didn't realize there was another near by.

19. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Hello my local friend... there are many fuctioning covered bridges in Berks county... Don't know too much of the back roads out your way though...

Thanks

20. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Hey Coach, Ok.......I couldn't see it in the other pics.

Talk to you soon......

Davef