1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 XJ550 Maximum problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Reid H, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Reid H

Reid H New Member

Hey guys I have a little situation I’m hoping you can help me with. So I just got this bike from my buddy and I knew it was going to have some. This past weekend we cleaned the carbs did an oil change added fuel and it sounded great rode it a bit then left for a few days. I was riding it one day and all was good started nicely and went around the block and switched gears fairly nicely and did some slow maneuvers and all was good. Then when I tried to ride it the next day it was having troubles. The clutch cable seemed loose and putting the bike into first was very hard. I would push down and the bike would stay in neutral. Only way to get it into first would be to move the bike back and forth. Then when I started to ride I tried to get the bike into 2nd and it wouldn’t go the shifter almost seemed stuck. However when the bike is off i can shift through the gears no problem. I tightened the clutch level as much as I could and I’m still having issues. Also, today I notice when the bike was idling for a while some “steam” was coming out of the engine air filter. Just curious if anyone has had these problems or know how to fix it?

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

The shifting problem could be the spring behind the left side cover . Or worse the chain guide has started breaking up and pieces are wedged in the gears . You can drop the exhaust, drain the oil and remove the sump , if you find pieces in sump there is sign of this . I pulled the engine in my Seca and swapped in spare engine as my old engine starter clutch was slipping ....it is easy to remove engine ....milk crate and two by four took.

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Easier on the 550 to remove the motor as it's chain drive. I used to remove my CB750 motor quickly.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

@Reid H
    The 550 primary chain tensioner hardly ever breaks. It's not at all similar to the guide in the shafties.

What is similar is the tendancy for the clutch cable to stretch over time, and the need to adjust it very carefully.
    The adjustment procedure is covered here: CLUTCHES 101-Part 1: the 400/550/600s with pics
    If adjustment dosen't help, then get a new cable from @chacal .

As for the "steam": How damp has it been where you live? Condensation will gather inside the engine (and exhaust pipes) and be released as the engine warms up. It's normal and of no concern. But check the oil for gas, because a little gas in the sump will cause the same visual effect.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There's an easier way to check. Pulling the shifter cover allows access to see inside the transmission. Fewer bolts, and you don't have to drop the exhaust.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ummm, no, it doesn't. This is a 550, there is nothing behind the shifter cover other than the front sprocket, the neutral light switch, and (generally) 30+ years' worth of chain muck. The shift linkage on the 550s is located on the RIGHT SIDE, behind the clutch.

But it is true that as this is a 550, the crumbling primary chain guide syndrome is not an issue. No need to worry about pulling the motor, or splitting the cases. Or looking under the left (shifter) cover unless you're just curious.

The bike will not want to shift properly when running if the clutch is not fully disengaging. The first thing to do would be to clean, inspect and lube the cable, and if it is not in good condition, replace it. Then properly adjust the clutch as described in the linked article. https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/clutches-101-part-1-the-400-550-600s-with-pics.29541/ If it still won't release/engage properly, then it may be necessary to pop the clutch cover and take a look. Which also offers the opportunity to peek at the shifter "mousetrap" if you need to.

As for the other issue, it could be caused by many things. We need to know more about this bike to be able to offer guidance.

You said you "just got it from your buddy." Has he been riding it, or did it just get pulled out after sitting for a period of time?

We also need to know how many miles are on it, and whether or not it has modifications to the intake/airbox and/or exhaust system. Also need to know exactly how far you went with the "carb cleaning" were the float levels wet-set afterward? Carbs bench sync'ed? Running vacuum sync?
    Your 'steam' could be anything from condensation to unburned fuel vapors venting thru the airbox from the crankcase breather. As above, I highly recommend monitoring the oil for the presence of gas (indicating a float level and/or petcock problem.)

What oil did you use?

XJ550H, Hoot and k-moe like this.
  7. Hoot

Hoot Member

Fresh oil change with incorrect oil? (energy conserving type?) = slipping clutch = clutch wear = slack cable and hard shifting. Yup, sure could be. Been there myself many moons ago.