1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ650 stock to bobber project - on a budget

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by crath, Apr 13, 2008.

1. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

I don't know what size that hole is but you might be able to use something like this

http://www.powersportrider.com/CGI-BIN/ ... age=263.00

2. crath

crath Member

Ace
    you're right, the bars are REALLY close. If I dont have them angled just right in the mounts, they do hit. Tonight I removed the controls on the left side to give me some more clearance. I ditched the choke cable and horn all together. I'm going to relocate a new hi/lo headlamp switch under the tank. I have to orientate the controls a little differently on the right side, not much, just a little.

I thought about doing some type of riser, but I don't have any idea where to get them for this bike.

earz_cd
    frame plugs!! never have seen those before. Sweet, thanks!

3. maximuschop

maximuschop Member

Crath, The bikes looking great! At this rate, you'll be done in no time! What paint scheme you going with?

4. crath

crath Member

I took the bike for a ride around the parking lot today while it was still nice out. Very fun, but a bit of a rough ride. I didnt have the spring loaded seat mounted, so I was sitting right on the frame rails. That made it a little worse. (This was just before I mounted the seat permantly)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. danno

danno Member

Hey,crath.Glad you liked my suggestions. I have an extra set of blue dots/bezels that I will donate to you in exchange for a mention in the build credits.

BTW,I have socks older than you...perhaps a wardobe update isn't a bad idea...

I will be watching your progress!

Dan

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I do something like putting a thick nylon washer and a stainless flat washer with a stainless cap screw in those empty signal mounts.

You'd have to cut the cap screw down to make the inside clearance; but it would good if you did that and did stainless cap screws on all the other cases; too.

Stainless with polished covers.

Sweet!

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh10 ... teWk_L.jpg

7. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Look at any hardware store for those plugs that go in the empty ends of furnature. They are a heluva lot cheaper than thos frame plugs and are essentially the same thing. I think sears hardware sells them for less than a buck a pop.

8. crath

crath Member

I went to the hardware store today to get some nuts and bolts. I looked and found some of the generic plugs you are talking about kevinelevin. If I would have measured the ID before I left, I would have been able to pick them up. I think I'll go with the plastic ones I saw today for 35 cents, assuming I can get the right size. I am just wanting to go clean, simple, and nothing to flashy with this bike, so they will do the job. Thanks guys!

9. philbrewer

philbrewer Member

Anymore progress on this? I am planning on chopping my fram exactly the way you did this winter.

10. Anthony14

Anthony14 Member

Looking good! I wish I had your welder so then I could have done extensive frame mods like you have done. Lets see more pics!

11. crath

crath Member

I've been working on it a lot lately, just havent had too much time to post. So this will have a few changes.

I picked up these tail lights at the local truck stop for only 4 bucks each. They are just what I was looking for

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. crath

crath Member

Here's some paint action going on. Semi flat black. I rattle canned the whole thing. Loud and dirty, that's how a like it!

The green is just self etching primer. Although it kind of did inspire me. I like the army green look. Maybe the next one I do will be a US Army theme....

I let the primer get all over the tires. I tried to mask them off but the tape would only stick to the lettering. But after the paint dried, it rubbed right off the rubber with a little effort. Paint is not made to stick to rubber, you know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. crath

crath Member

I got it back together. Here's some pics.

If anyone has any suggestions, lets hear them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have already started making changes since these pictures were taken a few days ago.

The exhaust doesn't appear the way I wanted it to, just doesnt go with the whole bobber theme. So I chopped it off just in front of the foot controls. I then cut it after the first bend off the cylinder head, rotated it 25 degrees out, and rewelded it. Black header wrap is on the way also.

I also bobbed the front fender. I removed 2 1/4" front and rear, and dropped it 3/4". But I didnt just wack the front and rear of the fender off, I sectioned bits and pieces out to keep the stock lines on all the edges. Pictures of that to come later....

I also put plugs where the front turn signals used to be and took 2 inches of total width out of the handlebars.

The gauges may come off after I get it running just right. I'm still waiting on some jets and a lower carb rebuild kit I ordered from Chacal a few days ago. BTW, thanks for sending me all the parts Len!!!!

14. Anthony14

Anthony14 Member

Looking good! Stuff always looks great when it is in a gloss black. The tail lights look awesome!

15. MaximXJ

MaximXJ Member

If you still have the seat I'd love to take it off your hands

16. low-1-5-0

low-1-5-0 Member

Love it!

17. danno

danno Member

I'm diggin it! Offer still stands...I'll send you a set of blue dots for free if you want them.

Dan

18. XJJoe

XJJoe New Member

I like it!!!!!! Just wondering where did you get those pod filters? how much? & did you have to re jet the carbs?

19. Hillsy

Hillsy Member

Is that seat angle useable? Looks like you'd slip off it onto the guard (?)

Nice work BTW

20. crath

crath Member

Hillsy

Yeah, the seat is something that might be changed soon. I'm not sure. I need to ride it a little more before I make a decision. I am only 5' 6" and 160 lbs with a little butt, so it's not a big deal to me. But to someone of larger stature, it could be a problem. But I need to put some more miles on it before I make that decision.

XJJoe

I got them on line from some random supplier. I just typed in Unifilter PK-82. I first ordered them from the Yamaha dealer out of thier catalog at the parts counter. But the info was incorrect for this model bike and they sent the PK-92 with a larger diameter - didnt fit on the carbs. So the dealer too the 92's back, but said they could not get the 82's. (whatever...) So I just searched online myself. Kinda pricey at 75 bucks for 4 of them.

MaximXJ

Unfortunatly, I sold the seat a few weeks ago to another member of XJbikes.com. Sorry

Danno

I'll take you up on that!!!

Christian Rath
    20 Brickyard Dr. Apt D16
    Bloomington, IL

Let me know if you want me to paypal you some money for shipping. Thanks, props to you for helping out