1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ650 stock to bobber project - on a budget

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by crath, Apr 13, 2008.

1. MaximXJ

MaximXJ Member

No worries. Love what you've done to the Maxim!

Look forward to seeing more progress

P.S. Get those side covers on the engine polished up! :)

2. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Looking Good Crath !!!! Think you nailed it with this one !!!

Hats off to Dan for being a great guy !!! He came to my rescue when I broke an exhaust stud as well ! 8)

Thanks again Dan!!

Keep up the great work Crath, can't wait to see your bike apon completion !

Cheesy!

3. danno

danno Member

If I were 20 years younger,I would be a broken stud. Currently,I am just broke.Glad I could help you out,Cheesy!

4. philbrewer

philbrewer Member

freakin awesome.

5. crath

crath Member

Thanks for the help and comments guys, much appreciated!! I got my stage 3 jet kit and lower carb rebuild kit in today from Chacal. I started cleaning the carbs and will be reassembling them tomorrow.

I also rebuilt the brake master cylinder today.

I have a question on that if anyone can help me. After rebuild, do you have to 'bench' bleed the master cylinder as you would on a car? Because after I rebuilt it and filled the reservoir with fluid, I still didnt get any fluid/pressure to the brake line at the caliper. I disconnected the line at the caliper, and nothing... any suggestions???

6. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

With a helper - put a wrench on the banjo bolt at the master cylinder. Wrap a rag around the banjo/wrench/brake line. Perform normal bleeding procedure (pump, pump, hold, open bleeder, close bleeder, repeat). A lot of times air will get trapped in the banjo fitting on the brake line. They make banjo bolts with a bleeder built in specifically for this purpose.

7. crath

crath Member

I still havent gotten to the brakes. I got too anxious and finished the front fender and exhaust first. I also rejettted the carbs, but they still need to be syched. It runs much better now. Also a very different sound with the scavenger exhaust. In a wierd way, I like it. It does blow a little on your feet, but it hasnt been a problem yet. I rode around town tonight with ease.

I took 2 1/4" out of each side of the fender and dropped it down 3/4". I took it out of the middle to keep the stock lines on the fender lip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. stevedyndiuk

stevedyndiuk New Member

Wow you guys really make me want to go out and buy a welder and paintgun, right now. My wife thinks my bike is cool stock. (hahaha) Keep up the good work excellent looking ride man!

9. Great_Buffalo

Great_Buffalo Member

Crath

I was wondering if got that seat sold. If you didn't let me know, I need one bad.
    Thanks
    The Buff

10. Great_Buffalo

Great_Buffalo Member

Also while I'm at it.
    Are you still going to use the original mufflers? If not I'm looking for those too.
    Thanks
    The Buff

11. caliber

caliber New Member

awesome I am building one right now. How i found your post was searching for bobber hard tails with swing arm. I had the same plan drawn up and some buddys told me it was a bad idea to leave that swing arm in. But it looks like it worked out great for you so i am for sure going to go about it this way for the simple fact as the rear end will stay square and it is one less thing to deal with. The bike looks great man

12. crath

crath Member

Great Buffalo

I sold the seat already, sorry. I also cut off and removed the stock mufflers. But they werent in real good shape anyways. They got thrown away.

Caliber

I havent had any problems with this setup. I would recommend it if you are going hardtail. It is kind of difficult to remove the rear wheel, but not impossible.

13. crath

crath Member

I did some cruising today, about 100 miles all together. Picture and video

I still need to sync the carbs, but it runs really well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

Looks and sounds great!!!

It's weird for me to see someone riding without a helmet (Missouri laws).

15. Ease

Ease Member

Sweet picture!

+1 on looking / sounding great!

16. leadboots

leadboots Member

YA MAN THATS SICK

17. collinswj

collinswj Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.756005+-
    Great job on the bike. Absolutely killer. Earlier in this thread, kevineleven mentioned something about the shaft angle. Should it be level, or is there a certain degree it should be at?

18. KAOS

KAOS Member

BADA$$!!! Ur bike looks n sounds SWEET!!! :twisted:

19. crath

crath Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. I have really enjoyed this bike, both building and riding. I have put about 700 miles on it now since completion. I've been riding it everywhere as much as I can. I havent gone on any long distances, just around town and country roads. I put it in the bed of my truck and drove to St. Louis last weekend. I had a freakin blast riding in the city. People were 'rubber necking' like crazy - some very funny looks from most.

I havent had any problems with the driveshaft angles either. We shall see what the future brings though.

No changes lately either. I am pretty much satisfied with it for the time being. I did replace the ignition coils, thanks Chacal!!!

It did get rained on for a day and night strait though. Because of the pod filters, water got in the carb floats. I had to drain them and blow the motor out a bit to get it running right again That was a pain in the ass to diagnose.

I am in the process of looking for an Yamaha XS or twin cylinder Honda CB for my next project if anyone knows were to find one.

20. MrShake

MrShake Member

I'll tell ya what... whenever my dad gets around to putting his old wing back togeather, I'll sell you my xs400.... no idea when that will be though.