1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ650 stock to bobber project - on a budget

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by crath, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Ease

Ease Member

Sick sonoma!

I'm lookin for the envoy front end for my S10 as well... Mine isn't anywhere near yours though... I just have a 2/3 drop for now, trying to get the body ready for paint. I'll be doing stock cherry red top w/ black down... And I see your bed tilts for the gas filler? Nice touch.
    I just signed up over on S10 forum.com... I have a page under "new members" titled "New from Newfoundland" if you want to have a peek at my POS.

Can't imagine taking on a SFBD myself. Great work!

2. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Member

Ths bike is pretty bad ass.

3. crath

crath Member

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll check out your thread Ease. I just sold that Envoy front end a few months ago, sorry, I could have got it to you some how.

Not an XJ, but here's the Kawasaki KZ550 I am finishing up right now.

[​IMG]

4. Ease

Ease Member

Nice, kept the suspension I see.

I really like those tails (in the frame). Got any more info on them??

5. crath

crath Member

I relocated the upper shock mounts to bring the ride height down. It makes for a very cushy ride, so I stiffened the shocks to the max adjustment. The tails lights are just the multi LED bulbs you buy at the parts store to replace common conventional bulbs (1157, 2257, 2157, etc).

6. negymnast

negymnast New Member

that KZ550 is ganna look sick! got any more pictures of it? ive got a KZ of my own and im lookin to do somethin like that to it. any info and pics help!

7. crath

crath Member

Yeah, here's a couple. Let me know if you have any questions. These are some pics from a few weeks ago. It's not done, but rideable. A few little changes still need to be done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dqnjuan

dqnjuan Member

your bikes look great dude...love the budget bobbers...where did you get that seat on the kz?

9. crath

crath Member

Thanks for the comment, the seat is home made from sheet metal and solid round rod

10. leprechaun86

leprechaun86 New Member

Hey crath the tail lights on your black xj where did u say u got those and are they the dual filament style?

11. crath

crath Member

They are just single filaments from the truck stop. They are used on trailers for marker lights. Only 5 bucks each. You just have to wire in a resistor on the running light circuit to make a single filament bulb work for brake/running lights.

12. negymnast

negymnast New Member

did you relocate the shocks on the KZ to where the whole for the LTD cover goes? thats just how it looks in the picture...what other things need to be done to it?

13. crath

crath Member

I just stuck them in a location where it would lower it where I wanted it to be. The lower mounting point is in the stock location

14. leprechaun86

leprechaun86 New Member

Can you send me the resistor because i have the single filament style on my bike and love the look.

15. leprechaun86

leprechaun86 New Member

forgot to proof read i meant resistor info.

16. Si-man

Si-man New Member

To Crath
    I've just started to stripping down my XJ900, originally to Trike but with all the hassle my mate Paul’s had with the SVA classification for new vehicles, there making him jump through hoops like you wouldn’t believe.

After lookin at you XJ bobber that’s the way I want to go!

So if you have any build picture or advice on how to go about build a similar bike to yours it could you send me them
    My email address is windus1@googlemail.com

That goes for anyone else who might be reading this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also where did you get that tank?

17. crath

crath Member

It's actually just a stock tank from this bike, 82 Maxim 650. Let me know what type of pictures you would like to see that I havent already posted in this thread.

18. Si-man

Si-man New Member

Thanks for replying so quickly I’m new to this website and I haven’t had a good search of it yet. I’m hoping you can help because like you I’m also doing this on a budget and I’d like to have it ready for the Bulldog Bash next year.

The Photos I was after were any you might have of the early stages of the frame, for instance where you might have had any chopping or welding done.

Plus I’m a complete novice to this so any knowledge or photos you are willing to pass on

My email is: windus1@google.com
    Cheers
    Amendment: I've just seen the what I need at the begining of the forum page Nice job!

19. crath

crath Member

If you click through all the pages on this thread (there are 10 of them now), you should be able to see all the pictures I took. If you are having a problem finding or viewing them, let me know, I can email them. Or if there is something not clear, let me know. I have posted most, if not all the pictures I took.

20. Mask

Mask New Member

Hi, Crath.
    Congrats.. your project goodsearching in inet.. ) I'm from Russia(Moscow) .. nice work... very impressive .. in RF bobbers are not popular, but have place. And I hope this winter helps me to build one .. and your experience will be useful.

Now I'm looking on Yamaha XS 650(prefer) or Honda Steed 600(water cooling confusing me) as on donors.

sorry for my English
    WBR.

Max.